Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What is the obsession with putting gore tex in boots?
  • Joe

Trying to find some summer hiking boots for desert/hot climate use. Even the kind of military boots worn by the armed forces in afghanistan typically have a gore tex membrane?

In my experience gore tex makes your feet pong and makes you sweaty. Why do manufacturers include it in all their summer boots?

BikePawl
    Free Member

Look at some American walking suppliers, you can get them over there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why do manufacturers include it in all their summer boots?

Because customers ask for them! “I need some Gore Tex boots, please…”

Nope, you need some waterproof boots. Ideally ones that breathe well when they get wet, which kinda rules out Gore Tex, doesn’t it?

user-removed
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a pair of waterproof boots without Goretex. I don’t like wet feet and Goretex works for me. Fully appreciate this is neither help nor ornament to the OP, sorry…

ninfan
    Free Member

Because its much cheaper and easier to make a crap boot and waterproof it with a membrane lining, than make a good quality boot, that is waterproof due to the quality of its construction and materials.

For what its worth Altberg make plenty of boots without a membrane lining, I would suggest you had a look there.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lowa do boots either with or without.

not cheap but amazing boots

wukfit
    Free Member

Boots using the outdry technology are supposed to be very good (so I’ve been told), someone like Columbia sportswear

Edit: they all look pretty ugly to me though 😕

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Here you go

Altberg desert boots

mattbee

AKU Pilgrim from Trekkit are pretty damn good, available with or without Goretex lining.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Generally desert boots and jungle boots are lacking in Goretex if you are looking at military ranges, so that would be a good place to start. Hiking boots are a little harder to find on the highstreet, but there are some online.

Alternatively pop up to Richmond and see the folk at Altberg. Just picked up some motorbike boots from them the other day, comfy as anything. You really need to get measured though for them as they come in many, many sizes and widths!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Goretex boots are an utter PIA – take an age to dry out once they get wet (water going over the top of the boot).

If you must put Goretex on you feet get some GT socks inside your boots – way cheaper & dry out far quicker should you get an immersion.

CountZero

The boots issued to the UK’s forces in Afghanistan and other desert areas are Meindle Desert Fox boots, and they don’t have a Goretex membrane. I’ve got a pair, and they are incredibly comfy boots, like wearing chunky slippers.
    Look for some on-line, plenty about. Mine were £25 on fleabay, and I think they’d been worn once. Absolutely brilliant boots, absolutely lived in mine during last summer.
    Like these: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-footwear/army-boots-shoes/meindl-desert-fox-british-army-1082862.html
    These are issue as well, but a bit heavier, I think: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-footwear/army-boots-shoes/lowa-desert-boots-military-issue-985062.html

keefmac

i bought some lowa desert boots second hand off ebay for less than £20. really comfy, not goretex and tough as anything. have previously had altama desert boots, us army issue. again a great pair of boots but they didnt last more than a few years.

british military kit has improved no end in the last ten years, so a pair of lowa’s or meindl will be good. altberg, as mentioned, above also make very good boots and if you want to spend the money, a pair of danner acadia desert boots, roughly £200.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Another vote for Lowa’s. Me & the Mrs both have them & she wears them all the time.

(well not ALL the time but she loves them)

EDIT, & they say on the label inside, ‘Made in Germany’

CountZero

Both the Lowa and Meindle are German made, the Meindle boots retail for £120. Currently watching a second pair on eBay for £23, in what looks like similar condition to my first pair, ie barely worn. Absolute bloody bargain!
    I first read a letter in Bushcraft Magazine from someone who’d bought an army-surplus pair, and was raving about them.
    I was looking for some lightweight desert boots, so got my first pair as a result. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

Duffer
    Free Member

[Quote]Even the kind of military boots worn by the armed forces in afghanistan typically have a gore tex membrane?[/quote]

Mine aren’t. I’ve got both the Meindls and Lowas mentioned above, and they’re great!

Meindls and Lowas.

dpfr

Ask the British Army. Lots and lots about boots on here, and lots of them hate Goretex lined boots too. Lowa, Meindl, Altberg all good ideas depending just what you want.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Get yourself a pair of Docs lad. Nothing in there except leather. It’ll take from now till next summer to wear em in but once you’ve done that, they’re great. Leak like a tea bag so just what you’re after.

Joe

Thing is that I can’t really wear military looking boots, doing what I do (i’m a cameraman and it all looks a bit walty and like you’re ex forces)

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

as an answer to your question I will ask a question in return; ‘why do you post?’

Sui
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    The boots issued to the UK’s forces in Afghanistan and other desert areas are Meindle Desert Fox boots, and they don’t have a Goretex membrane. I’ve got a pair, and they are incredibly comfy boots, like wearing chunky slippers.
    Look for some on-line, plenty about. Mine were £25 on fleabay, and I think they’d been worn once. Absolutely brilliant boots, absolutely lived in mine during last summer.
    Like these: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-footwear/army-boots-shoes/meindl-desert-fox-british-army-1082862.html
    These are issue as well, but a bit heavier, I think: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-footwear/army-boots-shoes/lowa-desert-boots-military-issue-98506

Lowas are far better, a little heavier, but won’t fall apart after 5 mins like the meindels did! Altberg dessies are good, but so are those Oakley things.. Stay away from Goretex if you know you’ll be doing river crossings, they never dry out, it’s better to let it get in Andover out easy!

peterfile
    Free Member

Goretex lets manufacturers make cheap, light and not very hard wearing boots, which is what they think people want.

Get some Scarpa SL or similar. Just as waterproof, FAR more breathable and MUCH tougher than a goretex boot.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of pairs of salomon goretex shoes now, which have been hardwearing and comfy. However they weren’t particularly cheap.

willard

I have several pairs of Lowa desert boots and they are my normal duty boots (in contravention of corps dress regs) because they are so, so much better than the issue black assault boots.

I’m currently waiting for the issue of the “new” brown boots. As someone with odd feet (size 12.5), I stand a chance of being able to get something from Altberg that actually fit my feet and won’t shred them or ruin my knees.

Sui
    Free Member

Just a thought as well, the Hitec Desert Magnums are uber comfy for short distance, soles don’t last long though.

So me (running around desert)

Meindels were **** after a month, they were initially very comfy the reason I chose them over Lowas.

UOR for a shed load of Lowas as everyone’s Meindels fell apart on ops, my Lowas are still in perfect nick except scratches.

Magnums, for poncing around base

Altbergs – very nice tailored fit for people with weird feet

Scarpa’s for people who wanted to look “ally”

And no, nobody in their right mind would be wearing Goretex in hot places!!

slowoldman

Scarpa’s for people who wanted to look “ally”

What’s “ally”? Just asking ‘cos I’ve worn Scarpas for donkeys years and would like to know what I look like.

ninfan
    Free Member

“Ally” that special something, the X-factor, exuding the epitome of military coolness without trying too hard

Ally:

Not ally:

I’m not sure cycling has an equivalent term, perhaps we should invent one?

Sui
    Free Member

ninfan has it!

a cycle (civi) equivalent…… ideas on a post card please..

slowoldman

Blimey. I just thought they were good boots.

Duffer
    Free Member

‘Allyness’ is best described as military fashion sense, i.e. wearing various non-issue items, or modifying issue clothing or equipment in order to look subtly different from one’s peers. This can cause chaos when the entire battalion is trying to do the same thing: ‘Oh my God! ‘He’s wearing the same smock as me!’

I was about to suggest the Fixie, but that’s been going on for years now…

seosamh77
    Free Member

so they can add and extra 40/50 quid on to a pair of gutties.

I like my salomon goretex trainers.

mattbee

Top marks for pic of gate monkey to show ‘not ally’!

jambalaya
    Free Member

In my experience it’s hard to buy hot weather kit in the UK as outside Rohan I could never find a decent supplier. When I was in Singapore most of the stuff I bought for the climate I got locally.

@Willard – I thought you where allowed to buy your own boots. Perhaps I was mistaken.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

How do the Lowa’s size up?

Sui
    Free Member

gate monkey

LOL 😆

Duffer
    Free Member

@Willard – I thought you where allowed to buy your own boots. Perhaps I was mistaken.

I think he was referring too the colour; wearing desert boots in the UK can upset people.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What is the obsession with putting gore tex in boots?’ is closed to new replies.