• This topic has 4,412 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 6 hours ago by nixie.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 4,413 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • Retrodirect
    Free Member

Social distancing Tandem now built and being ridden around the streets of Glasgow. The police stopped while we were taking these photos. I totally thought they were going to tell us off but they just laughed and carried on.

yetidave
    Free Member

that’s superb, but pilot has front brake whilst stoker has rear?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Colin bring it to glentress and I’ll be your stoker… Maybe.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

that’s superb, but pilot has front brake whilst stoker has rear?

The cables aren’t long enough to reach the length of the bike, I couldn’t be bothered 1) splicing the cables or 2) buying fancy tandem cables. It was a scrap-pile build afterall. 🙂

It’s the same reason for the floating-ring tensioner.

AlexSimon

Amazing @Retrodirect!

jam-bo

Made a gin deck. And had enough wood left over to make a table and a couple of benches too…

woffle
    Free Member

corner of shame behind the greenhouse; spoil from when I dug the pong, a pile of unwanted roof tiles and a couple of oak beams taken from our kitchen ceiling during work on the house;

Decided to tidy things up and make a wall out of said roof tiles. The ridge-tile ‘hole’ will be a bug-hotel – going to stuff it full of twigs and bamboo for insects and bees.

Came out much better than I thought it would. Need to add some sand and topsoil and then grass-seed…

kayak23

That’s lovely that Woffle 😊👌

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A driftwood shelf for the summer house. There’s loads of it about 10 mins walk from here, I’m thinking about starting a wee sideline making stuff, and selling it for charity.

tthew

Oh yes! Social distancing tandem! That’s brilliant. The big tensioning chainring just circulates in position by the looks of it?

nickjb
    Free Member

A quick one for me. Been grounding the chainset quite a bit recently so I made a guard. HDPE so lightweight and nice and slippy. Seems to work ok.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Made a bolt for my Dad. Not sure what he needs it for…

FB-ATB

Made a bolt for my Dad

Is he Frankenstein’s monster?

dmorts

Jam bo, are they the zinc finish legs from hairpin leg co? Only just twigged zinc finished probably means galvanised!

jam-bo

Yep. The heavy duty 12mm, 3 leg version. That wood (Ekki) is ridiculously heavy. Won’t ever have to treat it though.

kimbers

My wifes been away for 5 days

So once kids are in bed, Ive been trying to get a coffee table made

steel legs were off someone on Etsy, wood is oakblock worktop that was cutout for our kitchen sink, been sitting in garage for 5 years so took a lot of sanding and some filling to get it useable
    dark oak stain/ varnish was darker than I expected

null

Retrodirect
    Free Member

So this was actually built 6 months ago. But I’ve only just managed to get it on the road. Work and life has been getting in the way.

With only a front brake that works. a mix of incompatible drivetrain parts, rear mech not hooked up and zipties left long so I can get ’em off again and re-use. I couldn’t wait to ride the thing (and take photos in the deserted streets)

It’s a Cargo-bike built to test some ideas I had. It was built from the scrap pile in a day and a half so it’s pretty rough around the edges and has a bit of unnecessary weight to it. The funny looking design decisions were all due to what I had on hand. The chainstays are cut from a charge blender. The downtube is a big thickstraight guage thing etc. I didn’t want to mess about doing difficult mitres so smacked on little horizontal tubes to make the mitres on the seatstays identical at both ends.

I’m going to ride it for a bit and then built a legitimate, non ugly version using purchased tubing and maybe even throwing in a bit of that old engineering thing. 😉

There’s a ratio between the steering and the front wheel to make it feel more like a normal bike. So far it’s riding really really well. I need to get a load of weight on the rack to check where it starts to become unmanageable.

Oh! The photos don’t show it, but it’s waaay smaller than my mountainbike. Same end to end length as my hybrid. That rack is the same size as an omnium minimax AND folds to the side to get into a scottish tenement flat.

Agagagaga! I really like it.

Colin

tinribz
    Free Member

That coffee table was a great idea.

Albanach
    Free Member

@kimbers how did you fix the top to the legs out of interest?

BigJohn

That tandem is so long it’s a different season front and back. Summer at the front, winter at the back.

Mikkel
    Free Member

been busy making knives again.
    dont know what i would do without the garden and the workshop at the moment.

96358622_3479487658734560_7804319120043802624_o

tillydog
    Free Member

This:

(If I can make youtube links work… ;-/)

jp-t853

We have had a wood fired pizza oven for four years but its use is always dependent on the weather. Mrs JP has always said we should have an outdoor kitchen space and a recent and rare holiday at home I had the opportunity to pull together all of the crap I had lying around to make one. Metal roofing sheets that I cover wood with but I can get more from work when I can travel again for wood, I also had the five pallets from work that made the doors and sides. A thirty year old stove pipe that I just knew would come in handy some day. I also had a load of mahogany planks which were painted white and have been a bugger to sand.

The doors double as windbreaks, which works really well

Kitchen

Kitchen 2

Kitchen 3

kitchen 4

I did need to buy some structural wood and some hooks for the doors but everything else was lying around so it cost about £40 in the end. We have pizza for Christmas dinner so there is no excuse now. It could do with a second coat of paint but it appears every man and his dog is trying to buy this so it may have to wait.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

kimbers

@Albanach the legs come predrilled so just screws

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/716436946/custom-made-metal-table-leg-low-coffee?

It was lazy of me to use a stain & varnish mix, it meant that when I did second coat it made it v dark, would be better to stain first and then do as many coats of clear varnish on top as needed

ajantom

Loads of music – up to Isolation tune 22 now…

CountZero

Just gone through around five pages of other people’s amazing projects, and it makes me feel envious/inadequate! I really don’t have the facilities nor the l33t sk1lz to even attempt what many are doing, sadly. Also too many to really single out anybody in particular, although I have to say how much I like mikkel’s knife-making, especially the little fixed-blade just above the bow pics, that’s just neat and lovely.
    I have just finished one small project that I could do just sitting in the living room with tools and materials I had to hand, it’s a new leather strap for my Yema Rallygraf wristwatch, the one it’s had on for the last few years has started to look a bit manky on the inside, the thin leather lining has hardened and cracked, and has been getting a wee bit uncomfortable, so I used some vegetable-tanned leather I bought for a knife sheath I never got around to making, cut it to shape, stained it, glued some very thin but tough goat-skin leather to the inside and hand-stitched it around to match the original.
    It’s not perfect, but only I can see the flaws, and I think it’ll outlast the previous one.
    It fits fine, and it’s much more comfortable now than the old one was, and it’ll just get more flexible and softer with time.
    Got more leather left, so I might knock up a couple more for other watches.

gecko76

You may mock…

Dad takes everything out of shed and puts it back in again

…but the first thing I made when lockdown started was a set of weights from the broken vacuum cleaner, lead shot, fixings from a dead playhouse and bar tape.

Merak

There’s some very clever/talented folk on here.

I finished my charger/driver station yesterday.

dogbone

£35 lathe and scrap timber. Lead cast into bases.

kayak23

We have pizza for Christmas dinner

Omd! Can I come to yours? 😂

Pizza oven shed looks great.

WillH

I’ve been tidying up the garage and have made a few storage devices using scrap materials, or stuff that had been kept “just in case”.

A set of shelves using a 2400x400mm plastic-covered chipboard that used to be the top section of the reception desk at my old office (acquired for free follow a refurb), ripped in half lengthways. Shelves were three old painted MDF shelves cut into thirds. Backed with a couple of sections of 4mm mdf from a sheet that was stored in the roof of the garage when I bought the house:
    null

A hammer rack from wood offcuts and an old towel rail cut in half:
    null

Screwdriver rack – an offcut of 12mm ply cut in two and glued to make a 24mm plank, screwed into the window-sill.
    null
    (Yes, I know the windows need some attention…)

A mobile bench for the middle of the garage. Two cheap second-hand shelf units back to back for under-bench storage, the top is the front section of the afore-mentioned reception desk, cut in two and glued to make a 36mm deep worktop. Fixed to two planks and some lockable castors.
    null

And my favourite – a magic* saw rack:
    null
    Fits any size saw (or machete), takes up minimal space.

Even the screws were all reclaimed from previous uses, think the only new bits were the bench wheels.

*(gravity plus friction)

Merak

@WillH

Loving your work.

Albanach
    Free Member

@kimbers thanks for the link…much appreciated!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

As ever loving the mix of stuff.
    Just before lockdown decided our hall needed a tidy up. So made some shoe racks from leftover oak flooring.

Shoe rack

Then a coat rack from some cherry I had.

Coat rack

Furlough and lockdown meant more time at home with the toddler.
    So a pickler triangle was built.

Climbing frame

The rotten shed removed and some raised beds from scraps of timber.

planted corner

Good weather meant bbq times and need for a new table.
    So 30 minutes, an oak stump and some old roofing timbers and bosh!

30 minute table

Quick and basic, but totally functional.

CountZero

@Mikkel – the fixed blade above ^^, I like the Hamon along the cutting edge, really sets it off, the thick Micarta scales with Torx bolts are a nice touch too.
    I really admire your knife work, lovely stuff!

squirrelking
    Free Member

@willh how does the gravity saw rack work? I can’t see how it holds stuff in place.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Cuts are slightly wedge shaped, I’d guess. Push saw in until wedge grips it?

WillH

@squirrelking – I can’t find the website I stole the idea from, but it’s like this:
    http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2007/02/09/ws/

Here’s what the inside looks like:
    null

Took maybe an hour to make, including a bit of trial and error working out the right dimensions – I copied the general design but adjusted the dimensions to suit the sizes of wood and dowel I had available.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah I get it, like mop handle holders.

Very good, may nick that one for myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 4,413 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.