Viewing 40 posts - 2,841 through 2,880 (of 4,418 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The bench ends had been lying around in the garden as ‘ornaments’. I got some treated timber, cut to length and width, routed to shape nicely and now we have a bench

BTW It is not undercoat grey, it is Slate – a subtle contemporary tone that adds a classy elegance to your garden furniture

joshvegas
    Free Member

sorry Wally, I feel my comments was maybe overly harsh.

I love the big chunky tennons and especially the fact you cut them with nothing but a stanley knife.

Could do with a skip find like that myself for a work bench top.

colp

Some lovely stuff getting posted, this thread is a keeper.

I knocked together a folding bike rack for my new van to protect the floor & rear seat backs.

Had a nice piece of WPB 18mm but the rest is scrap from the garden

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

AlexSimon

Nice! Two rows of seats and full bikes is always a winner!

timnoyce
    Free Member

What sort of van is that, Colp?

neilc1881
    Free Member

Mini shepherds hut play house

Made a little play house shepherd’s hut for my kids. Will probably add more to it over the coming couple of weeks once I’ve finished building a studio for a customer.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Made a new handle for my wife’s favourite spatula after I snapped the old one

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Its only taken 6 years to get from this (posted on p.13)

to this

BigJohn

I had a lot of oak veneer and black Valchromat left over from making my dining table last year so I set myself a Lockdown Offcut Challenge. Make a TV cabinet from just what’s in the workshop.

No credit cards were harmed in the making.

null
    null

AlexSimon

@JohnJohn – At least you finished it! I’ve got similar half-finished stuff around, but I’m not sure they’ll ever see the finish line 🙂

@BigJohn
    – Very smart. nice combo. Is valchromat dyed through mdf?

Mowgli
    Free Member

99%chimp – that knife is stunning. Was all by hand or did you start with a blade blank? Either way, very nicely finished!

I made a guitar stand and a fingerboard this week.

BigJohn

It’s very similar to MDF. And yes it’s coloured and uniform density throughout. It’s still harder to get a smooth finish on the cut edges and I’ve had a bit of trouble with Osmo PolyX. The oak veneer needs 2 coats but if you put a 2nd on the Valchromat it spoils it. I’m having to do some experimentation to try and get the finish I want.

My daughter’s partner is an architect for some fancy interiors and kitchens. They often bond a thin sheet of one colour onto a contrast colour and router through to show the base colour through. I achieved a similar if unintended effect when I routered the finger-pulls and exposed the top of a couple of dominos!

nixie

Super shonky raided bed. Self isolating and needed the get the green beans in the ground so limited to what was laying around the garden. Wood work not my strong point but the soil stays where it should

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Decided to respray the back of the car.

I built the spray booth and sanded the old paint smooth before discovering Halfords were out of Jet Black paint – the order emailed listed everything I needed as available and for collection yesterday except the paint where they showed it as available next week. Didn’t spot the one date changed item 🙁

matt_outandabout

I built a wall….

Mikkel
    Free Member

Busy making knives to match my bows.
    Rosewood handle to match my rosewood riser bow.
    2020-04-20_03-38-13

Had previously made this

IMG_20190915_155411__01

Retrodirect
    Free Member

A social distandem.

a few more photos incoming here: https://www.instagram.com/colin_woof/

tthew

That’s ace. 😁 Want to see it built with riders.

oldschool

Garden bench

Made a bench from some waney edge oak. Just waiting on an Amazon delivery of osmo clear.

Edit. Need to workout this picture thing out.

noshki

Have just converted a swing and slide set into a new run for the chickens. A load of left over roofing batten and some green wire mesh.
    Only got the chickens a couple of months back.They are ace!

AlexSimon

Absolutely beautiful @noshki

Great idea to re-use the swing set. Looks like a proper piece of architecture!

househusband

Sorry, folks – another of my stool samples… 😉

The last wee stool/table I made was reassigned to living room duties so this new one for workshop is a combined step and stool; three legged so it doesn’t wobble on the undulating concrete and a wide stance for stability – smaller step as either a footrest when sitting wrong way round or step to get up. TIG welded 25mm box section 25mm wire brushed and finished with Owatrol (new and me likey) and recycled iroko finished with Osmo hardwax oil for the step and top. Didn’t want to make the step too big so I could minimise overall footprint yet retain stability.

dyna-ti

Just a tip 🙂 take it as you will, but flat surfaces for stools and chairs tend to be a bit uncomfy. A simple thin upholstered pad tacked on does wonders for that. Or use a thicker top and hollow it out a bit.
    Theres a good vid on making a scorp from a big ring spanner. Something I’m intending to make at some point.
    Also making a stool. Though a bit off being finished. Damned lockdown for getting supplies easier. I’ve a pic of it in its making state on retrobike, not sure how to post pics here, I always screw it up completely.

househusband

@dyna-ti Yup, they are. This is the third (fourth..?) stool I’ve made and the others have round tops made from laminated iroko (from old school science worktops, have a bit of it…) that I’ve turned on the lathe to do exactly that using woodturning tools; they’ve been strips 40mm wide glued up – this was butted together as planks using dowels and a dowel jig I’d made for the job. This ones also predominantly for standing on as there’s another two (with the scallop tops) in the workshop for sitting on – one with three legs and the other on wheels for when I’m welding and want to move about.

kayak23

I made my tailgate that had a hole in it, not have a hole in it.

I was never going for showroom condition but I’m less than impressed about how the lacquer went on. It seemed to go on in a thin stripe so that the end result is quite stripey.  Maybe I’ll have to flat it back and lacquer it again. 😐

Stair (stool/chair) model’s own.

duncancallum

What lacquer are you using. Some times with crap nozzles you need to go quite close as they dont fan properly

Stand it in hot water before using as it helps.

Top tip ref runs have a clean touch up brush handy n if it runs smooth n spread the run out. Wont get rid but makes it less obvious.

I’d also either back the speed off or wind the power up slightly on the mig

househusband

Stair (stool/chair) model’s own.

@kayak23
    What’s the stool for; whittling – carving? You’ll be wanting a cushion for it, obvs… 😉

kayak23

What lacquer are you using. Some times with crap nozzles you need to go quite close as they dont fan properly

Yes I think that’s the problem. Some WLW Auto Paints stuff off Amazon. Should I flat it back and try again with a pricier lacquer?

What’s the stool for;

It was a little project I designed as an introduction to wood machining with my City& Guilds furniture students. I use it all the time in the workshop 😊👍

I’d also either back the speed off or wind the power up slightly on the mig

Cheers, I’ll try that. Very difficult not to blow through!

core

Not quite the last thing, but I wrote a poem, and stuck it in an imagey thing. You might have seen STW share it in their Instagram story last week:

Poem

core

An actual link that works… My poem:

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A trial animated gif on the 70 yr evolution of the mountain bike to date

(Part 1) 1950s to 1980s

Need to get some better resolution pics and better skillz to make a longer one stretching the full 70 years. I have nearly years ahead to complete it so best get cracking 🧐

duncancallum

Kayak

Best rattle stuff off the shelf I found was hycote.

Try n flat it with 1200 n polish it back.

Does it have a dry dusty line in it

jam-bo
    kayak23

Girlfriend’s birthday so I made her an arch for climbers on her allotment plot.

Made it out of a couple of fallen tree branches then steam bent a load of wangly bits all over it.

Probably grow a clematis or some sweet peas up it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Jow about a passion flower kayak? Look amazing and make tea

kayak23

Look amazing and make tea

I drink Yorkshire tea now….😁

stevied
    Free Member

Lots of garden projects going on..great stuff!
    I made a raised bed with oak sleepers. God, they’re heavy!!!
    sleep
    joint

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sioersessions your bag popped up on my instagram the ither day. Looks good hiw much of the frame does it fill

Viewing 40 posts - 2,841 through 2,880 (of 4,418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.