Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 4,418 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • z1ppy

Wow just wow, glanced at this thread when it started and haven’t been back till now, brilliant effort all round, everyone.

Porter_jamie, you stuff is excellent, but you need to give us ignoramuses more of a clue as to WTF you’ve made 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

porter_jamie – nice, you’re using pretty big pitch holesaws, what RPM do you run? I do something similar – though with a tube notcher and DeWalt not a lathe:

I had been using some 10tpi holesaws, but tried a cheap Bosch one with big teeth and it was just as happy as 1200rpm.

AlexSimon

29erKeith – like the kid’s play park.
    I prefer my Mini’s a little more ‘original’, but that does look like fantastic work!

porter_jamie

it is an electric motorbike frame for the tt.

yes, i would like to try a finer pitch holesaw. run that at about 300 rpm. we got some carbide holesaws to see if they cut any nicer – not sure really. this is only 1″ cds 16swg though not fancy columbus or anything

kayak23

Love that mini.
    Play house is awesome too…

porter_jamie

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Top thread this.

I made a few bits of jewellery on the laser cutter. Turns out elm is a total swine to laser cut…

scotia
    Free Member

3rd cabinet for the bathroom..

[/url]
    image by a_gunstone, on Flickr[/img]

dovetails… some tearout but it doesnt matter.. i’ll maybe sand it down more..

[/url]

[/url]

finished and in situ.. happy enough with it..

image by a_gunstone, on Flickr

It was my first time doing dovetails.. i have a jig so it wasnt too tricky, but putting them together, wow… glad i have clamp-heads that i can bung onto any length of wood to use as my clamp.. i needed much longer fixed clamps than i have (i forget the word for this in english)..

fasthaggis

Love this thread ,good work folks .

porter-jamie …Can’t wait to see the finished bike 🙂

Nice Maico badge fortunateson 😉

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Nice Maico badge fortunateson

Not quite.

I’d never heard of Maico actually…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Do like this thread.

Mini looks a handfull! Also loving the cnc’d elm.

fasthaggis

They may have nicked the design from matchless 🙂

northernmatt

Made these, they aren’t finished. Just bare MDF at the minute. They’ll be joined by shelving across the middle of the chimney breast and we are going to get sliding door to go across the lot of it. The reason for the half rail in the nearest one is so the OH can hang long dresses without them getting crumpled at the bottom.

Untitled by NorthernMatt, on Flickr

Apologies for the fisheye effect, could only get it all to fit in panoramic mode on my phone.

tymbian
    Free Member

Summer-house project finshed all apart from a decorative ridge.. I wanted to get the cushions in before taking pics.

bencooper
    Free Member

Tandem trike frame:

24 tubes, 35 braze-ons, 35 fillet joints.

stuey
    Free Member

Magnificent tadpole, must of taking some time – I’m imagining an imposing head badge. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Spent all of Saturday just filing the head tube fillets and adding cable guides – it has been quite a job, but off to paint next week at last 😉

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Fantastic! Is your shop the kind where I could pop in and say hello? Love unusual bike bits and bobs.

Northwind

Extra headtubes for Somafunk’s bike? When one snaps off just move down to the next, like an exacto knife.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben, where do you get your frames painted?.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I made a thing….

[/url]
    Untitled by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

…for my favourite records.

bencooper
    Free Member

Fantastic! Is your shop the kind where I could pop in and say hello? Love unusual bike bits and bobs.

Definitely 😉

Ben, where do you get your frames painted?.

I use ESP Powdercoating in Ruchill.

natrix
    Free Member

Great Tandem Trike there Ben. Did you know that nobody has yet set a record time for Lands End To John O Groats on a Tandem Trike (Women, or mixed)?? http://www.rra.org.uk/

franksinatra

Ben. I don’t get it. How does it steer? (not for a second suggesting this is an oversight on your part, I am just being ignorant!)

samuri
    Free Member

My guess is the bars will go in the centre pillar and then have linkages to the two wheels in the outer pillars.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, three headsets in a line. Two outer ones take normal forks (he wants to try suspension forks), centre one has the bars. Then tie rods with rose joints connect the centre stem to little stubs on the side forks. Angles will be tweaked to tune the Ackerman effect (wheels need to all turn around a common centre).

It’s very similar to how recumbent trike steering works.

The cool bit is it’s going to have a big rack across the front of the frame, to carry tent, sleeping bags etc.

franksinatra

Can’t wait to see the monster trikedem finished.

trout
    Free Member

Just made a low loader wheelbarrow for the Singletraction trail builders
    for moving heavy boulders

Pic taken from afar so as to hide the welding 😳

maccruiskeen

The cool bit is it’s going to have a big rack across the front of the frame, to carry tent, sleeping bags etc.

Is that the rationale for it being a trike? – for load carrying capacity? or is it for a rider with balance problems?

bencooper
    Free Member

That is a brilliant wheelbarrow!

Is that the rationale for it being a trike? – for load carrying capacity? or is it for a rider with balance problems?

It’s for (in)famous Glasgow cyclist Dr Guthrie – he likes tricycles, but he breaks the back axles regularly on his Longstaff trikes. Plus, this way he can have a Rohloff without any complicated gearing setup.

Anyhow, in a break between building bikes, I made a book:

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Taken as I was bottling the latest batch. Turned in to a really nice, hoppy and clean session beer. Reckon it’s around 3.5% or so, but lots of flavour.

Crushed crystal malt and Goldings hops, by the way. .

porter_jamie

porter_jamie

Harry_the_Spider

Ben, just had a look at the preview of your book. Good stuff!

I used to work in paper mills before the industry died on its arse. 🙁

docstar
    Free Member

Made this for a mate for his birthday.

stuarty
    Free Member

Porter_jamie …..
    Tell me thats not going to be an electric tt bike

kayak23

The last thing I made was a very simple jig to make different sized circle templates with for use in our furniture classes. I also made a little video while doing it… 🙂

[video]http://vimeo.com/85999759[/video]

Retrodirect
    Free Member

inspired by bencooper and porter-jamie: me and a friend did a spot of frame-modification.

Shortened and lowered the bike I use for polo – welded on some home-made dropouts and fitted some new seatstays.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Oh, and some details:

It now has 40mm bb drop and a 360mm(14.2″) rear end. That’s 2mm clearance from tyre to the seat-tube with 26 x 1.5″ slick tyres when the wheel’s slammed. Handcut track-ends with a 50mm slot and seatstays scavenged from an old trek. Still needs tidied up (top tangs need filed up to the weld) then it’s going to paint.

Super whippy to ride: 74 degree hta, 10mm rake fork, low BB and that tiny rear-end. loving it.

excuse the rust, first ride was in the rain and not had a chance to repaint it yet.

porter_jamie

winner! tig, or gas?

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 4,418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.