Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • What if you don't want a gravel bike, or a race bike, but something in between?
  • matts
    Free Member

There’s a whole scale of gravel bikes though – bikes taking up to 35c tyres to those taking 50c. Many around the 35c-40c mark, depending on whether there a front mech

And the geometry differs as well. It can change the handling dynamic of the bike on the road quite a bit.

Some of the bikes with much bigger clearances have lower BBs and slacker head angles. They can feel a bit sluggish and/or cumbersome for regular road riding. I’m happy to make a compromise on the road handling by adding a long/low stem to get my normal position. But if I didn’t want the ability to swap to a shorter reach for off-roading, then I’d want to bake that in to the frame to sharpen up the handling a bit. I’d also go for something like a 72? head angle rather than the 70.5? of the Tripster.

And I’d want to be running some nice 28/30mm tyres. Something like Challenge Strada Bianca with latex tubes, or Schwalbe Pro One tubeless.

highlandman
    Free Member

Cotic Roadrat or ..
    Genesis Croix de Fer; build it up with a carbon fork, light wheels, discs and flat bars. Mine’s been ace at everything from gentle singletrack to 3×100+ mile days in the Tour of the Highlands sportive. Light and lively, yet descends twisty roads like a demon. It’s almost too nice to use for commutes!

tillydog
    Free Member

I just don’t want my teeth shaken out by a race bike on 23c or 25c tyres, but equally I’m not sure if I really ‘need’ the full off road capabilities of a lot of the gravel bikes currently coming out.

At the risk of sounding like CF, a Diverge seems to be right up that street. (It’s why I got one, anyway 😳 )

Also:

Genesis Croix de Fer
    Giant Revolt (sic)

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What if you don't want a gravel bike, or a race bike, but something in between?’ is closed to new replies.