Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • What % humidity for putting clothes on a washing line?
  • Eyepic
    Free Member

Really what the title says.

Wondering if there is a figure above which it is not worth using the washing line? Obviously the lower the humidity, higher the wind speed and temperature the better etc..

But ideas of what threshold figures are worth the effort?

bails

What’s the alternative? Tumble dryer or leaving the wet clothes in a heap?

19ninety
    Free Member

My head hurts.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Tumble dryer….hang loads of stuff around the house (not ideal but Mrs Eyepic is inclined to do).

Eyepic
    Free Member

19ninty….. could be humidity headache…. get fresh air.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pour a glass of water on the pavement or patio. If that dries, so will your washing. If not, chuck it in the dryer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Better for your health if you hang it out -unless its actually raining or freezing solid – itll dry quicker outside. (Unless you have a woodburner/coal fire

bruneep

Use the stone forecast method.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Hang it all up on an airer in your box room, chuck the dehumidifier in there with it and close the door. Couple of hours and it’s done.

nealglover
    Free Member

Serious case of overthinking things.

Eyepic
    Free Member

We have a wood burner feeding UFH and radiators and don’t pay for wood (except in terms of my labour, chainsaw fuel etc) but was looking to plan washday in advance using weather forcast predictions of temp/humidity etc.

nealglover
    Free Member

We have a wood burner feeding UFH and radiators and don’t pay for wood (except in terms of my labour, chainsaw fuel etc) but was looking to plan washday in advance using weather forcast predictions of temp/humidity etc.

He he, see above. :mrgreen:

bikebouy
    Free Member

There’s no humility at putting your washing on the line, just do it whilst it’s not raining HTH 🙄

daveh
    Free Member

I love posts like this, it helps me demonstrate to the lady of the house that I could be a lot worse than i am…

richmars

Wind dries washing, so if it’s windy you’ll be alright.
    (I don’t do the washing)

IdleJon

When I was young and reading sci-fi novels featuring the 21st century, the future was generally seen as a place of jet-packs and machines that could produce luxury food at the press of a button. Robots doing housework. Travel to the stars. You know the sort of thing.

Unfortunately I’ve arrived in the future and it’s a depressing place where people have to ask for instructions on how and when to dry the washing… 😆

Eyepic
    Free Member

Know how to dry the washing.. just looking to do it more efficiently …. agreed over thinking (but if I can’t oner think on STW where in the world could I over thin).. also agreed wind dries washing… but the heart of my question is how much offset (or what ever else I could call it) should I have for wind against humidity?

At present I am recording average 15mph winds and 72% humidity at 12 degree C

Yesterday’s weather was a bit warmer, sunnier, less humid, less wind etc..

daveh…. my wife will expect sympathy from yours now.

I did hope for a full analysis and graphs etc from other sad gits like me!!!!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll ask the house keeper….

Jamie
    Free Member

Use the stone forecast method.

Reminds me of the Wyoming Wind Sock:

slowoldman

Mrs. S only brings stuff in off the line if it’s actually raining.

daveh
    Free Member

8.5mph wind, 10.9degC and 72% humidity here. 🙄 😆

Eyepic
    Free Member

8.5mph wind, 10.9degC and 72% humidity here.

Thanks…. but would your washing dry?

Has become irrelevant for me as it has just started raining….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Jamie, when I rode across Wyoming I must have missed that sign. We had two of the hardest ever days into the mother of all headwinds.

zippykona

This has inspired me to put some towels out on the line.
    How often would you like drying updates?

Eyepic
    Free Member

Zippy…. do you have facility to measure wind speed, temperature and humidity?

Any idea what is the dry weight and the starting wet weight of the towels?

Updates need to involve worthwhile information.

convert

I love my mother’s (lazy) neighbours up in an exposed bit of the Highlands clothes drying tactics. She put them out irrespective of the weather and they just stay out for days until a miracle happens and them being dry and her bothering to check them coincide . I’ve seen them frozen rock solid, under 6 inches of snow and obliterated by wind. I visited twice a couple of weeks apart and the same set of clothes were still on the line – just looking a tiny bit sadder.

Box room with the chimney breast running through it and a dehumidifier does for us.

aP
    Free Member

I have no idea about wind speed, RH etc, but I do have some washing on the line, which blowing around a bit, and in about 20 minutes today’s cycling stuff will come out of the washing machine and get hung on the line to dry.
    Outdoor dried clothing has a nice fresh smell to it, that stuff hung up on a drying rack indoors doesn’t. I really don’t get the tumble dryer thing – I’ve got better things to with my money than use it pump warm moisture rich air outside.

zippykona

75% humidity, 22mph wind and 10c.
    Towels have had 1200 spin.
    Shall report back in an hour!

Eyepic
    Free Member

Thanks Zippy

Eyepic
    Free Member

I have this horrid feeling that the final answer is going to tie in with partial vapor pressure…. but don’t remember enough of my school science to remember what the heck that is..

cinnamon_girl

Soft fluffy towels for me so that means the tumble-drier, always. 😀

zippykona

Tea towels near enough dry. Towels not any drier.

Eyepic
    Free Member

See you are likely to run into problems now as the temperature drops the humidity will probably do up… what is the right time to bring them in??

What if you start getting near the dew point.?

tough decision.

The nation holds it’s breath and awaits your next call.

iolo
    Free Member

I just stick them on a hearse in front of the Aga to dry if I can’t put them out.

zippykona

Sheets have just gone out ,towel definitely drier.
    Have changed my drying strategy and placed towel in landscape mode on the line.
    Really reaping the dividend now.
    My neighbours rotary line is a 3 sider, really glad I embraced the new technology and went for the larger 4 sider.
    Saw a drier that was bigger than next doors but smaller than mine ,apparently it makes your drying come alive.
    12c ,15mph ,87%

bruneep

iolo – Member
    I just stick them on a hearse in front of the Aga to dry if I can’t put them out.

Hearse in front of aga? Do you do cremations on the sly?

1981miked
    Free Member

It’s just washing… Why does it need to dried more efficiently or analysed! If it’s dry outside.. Put it out. If it’s raining.. Don’t put it out. Simples innit!

Some of the topics on here beggar belief at times.

zippykona

Some of the topics on here beggar belief at times

Party pooper.
    11C ,22MPH ,65%

kcal

Our humidity sensor seems a bit stuck (outside) – always seems to read 20%

At this time of year — can be 6oC or so, but blowing a gale – as long as the pegs hold the washing on, they’ll be dry (if cold) and nicely softened. Alternatively, sunny, little breeze == not dried in the slightest (that day).

We are blessed – as inside we have a 4 spar long pulley (rescued from my aunt’s house many years ago) that has now been in it’s third kitchen.. it’s great at drying stuff, though I expect it does contribute to house dampness a bit. Still it’s a pretty draughty old house so probably not that badly affected 🙂

Eyepic
    Free Member

Your humidity seems to be jumping all over the place zippy!

Mine has bee a pretty constant 72%

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘What % humidity for putting clothes on a washing line?’ is closed to new replies.