• This topic has 117 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ben.
Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • What house can you get for a million in your area?
  • hot_fiat

While I’m North East born and bread, half the family is from Ireland & we keep looking at property there. Franklins is the equivalent of Strutt & Parker in Donegal. 6 years ago you’d struggle to find anything for less than €300k, today it’s rather different:

Franklins

AlexSimon

A bit in-between here. Access to Manchester + airport and close to footballer territory keeps it from being properly sensible, but 1m still buys you these 2:

jimbobrighton
    Free Member
    damo2576
    Free Member

Be lucky to get 2 beds and 1000sqft in NW london

wiggles
    Free Member

People aren’t aware of numbers that high in Newport, let alone spend that much on a house.

bruk

4 bed house in a gated community!

Gated community house

This is rural Cheshire. Why the hell do you need a gated community?

Probably more at risk from the badgers in the woodlands and TB

donks
    Free Member

@ mcobie (8th post) I actually installed some sockets at that house some 10-12 years ago!

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

http://www.frenchpropertypages.com/listing/magnificent-medieval-castle/
    It’s not where we live at the moment but we are looking around that area….. But our budget isn’t a million quid.

scandal42
    Free Member

Slightly over the budget but this is Roger Moore’s (James Bond) old house about 1.5 miles from me.

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/29707736?search_identifier=f62c0977f9f14ac5521908b67fadd551

maccruiskeen

Seems like wherever you are there’s a consistent ammount of consistently rich people. It’s the average to poor demographic that fluctuates.

There’ll be a levelling effect because the price of purchase isn’t the only cost – big, characterful houses with big gardens are expensive to run and maintain and those costs don’t vary with postcode and aren’t something you get on credit like a mortgage – so those overheads moderate the price a bit. Someone who can stretch to a £1 million flat in a nicer corner of a city couldn’t afford to buy in a £1 million former manse in the sticks instead because they wouldn’t have enough change to live in it. So round here big interesting houses with land are cheaper than identikit 4 bed new builds in cul-de-sacs – as in about a third cheaper, but the asking for the new builds is higher because the cost of ownership is less.

molgrips
    Free Member

5 bedrooms, £1.2m in a decent part of Cardiff with lots of big houses – but not particularly fancy.

Or this, in Caerphilly – 7 beds £999,950.

EDIT cool.. that one is an actual Tudor mansion, built in 1415!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I split my time between Edinburgh and London. In Edinburgh £1M buys you plenty but here in Greenwich you’re looking at a nice apartment.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just did a search where I am now, in London, and I got a load of 2 bed flats listed 😯

Tiger6791

Just done a search and the answer is:

Quite a lot 😀

But this is less than a mile from our house and is a cool £25m

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43216286.html

Want!!!!!!!!

I need a Helipad!

AlexSimon

Want!!!!!!!!

Ugh – you can have it

molgrips
    Free Member

£30m gets you a flat in the Shard.

busydog
    Free Member

Edit: Mrs busydog really wants this, but I could buy a new top-end mtb each year for the next 200 years for the same price

NZCol

It’s eye opening. We enquired about a place in Edinburgh – 2.4million which was a tad out of our budget !

busydog
    Free Member

It’s eye opening

When I look around at everyone I know, I wonder who the hell is buying these places 😯

somafunk

Orchardton Hall nr Auchencairn, Dumfries & Galloway

A little bit more than your £Million but it’s been on the market for a while so she may sell, it used to belong to a mate (well…..his mother and father) who ran it as an artists/hippy type retreat and it kind-of became our party house in the 90’s – weekend long raves/festivals and room for a few hundred clubbers turned it into a pretty hedonistic place to spend time at…good times….good times indeed but unfortunately they sold it a few years ago.

We had our own sauna and ice cold plunge pool down the bottom of the garden, nothing beats a baking hot naked sauna after a weekend of DJ’ing and partying…halcyon days indeed – the likes of which will never be seen again 😉

beefheart
    Free Member

spend the rest on bikes, coke and hookers

Happy days.

Wales is good value too.
    I’d get this- comes with 12 acres of woods, coach house, stables and barn.

wallop

What this thread proves is that money doesn’t buy you taste.

br
    Free Member

I split my time between Edinburgh and London. In Edinburgh £1M buys you plenty but here in Greenwich you’re looking at a nice apartment.

And those around Edinburgh complain of Edinburgh ‘folk’ coming in and forcing up prices 🙂

But I’ll second the comment about the cost of running a large property – we’ve nearly an acre of garden and as well as the main house (an old mill) we’ve 3 large (12m x 4m internal) outbuildings – all stone built with extensive slate roofs.

mudshark
    Free Member
    lerk
    Free Member

Only house around here for that price is this…

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26830854.html

bensales
    Free Member

In Her Majesty’s Glorious Midlands:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E35123&minPrice=900000&maxPrice=1250000&radius=1.0&googleAnalyticsChannel=buying

I could be persuaded by the £1,195,000 one, only because the consulting rooms would be an easy convert to a gym and workshop.

piemonster
    somafunk

Some of those houses posted are nothing more than glorified red-brick Barret style homes, I fail to see why they cost so much.

br
    Free Member

Some of those houses posted are nothing more than glorified red-brick Barret style homes, I fail to see why they cost so much.

You aren’t really paying for the house, but the land.

When we bought a house a few years ago the ‘house’ cost £150k but the rebuild cost was only £45k.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I could enjoy a lovely 3 bed flat just 100 yards down the road for that.

Not want 😐

TiRed

Spoilt for choice in Windsor. I won’t bore you with a search, too many properties!

phinbob

Not my style but this is near and fits the criteria.

JoeG
    Free Member

A few from the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area (1 M GBP = $1.65 M) You can live pretty well on that! 😀

Imperial Ct Ohara

St James Pl Shadyside

Old Chapel Tr Fox Chapel

Edit – this one is only a couple of miles from me, but is only a measly $1.15 M…
    Boxcartown Rd Murrysville

paulpalf
    Free Member

I’m glad that moaning about house prices isn’t restricted to those of us in Vancouver.
    Here on the west side of Vancouver a million quid (about $1.8M CAD) will get you a 4 bed house on a 33x125ft standard city lot:
    vancouver west side house

According to the news last week average house prices are about 10.4X average salaries in Vancouver…second only to Hong Kong.

Think we’ll be moving out of the city soon, tired of living in a 700sqft shoebox.

ben
    Free Member

You’ll get about 1,000 sgft for that here:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/16781110/for-sale-watermark-robertson-quay

Looks like I’ll be renting for a while longer…

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘What house can you get for a million in your area?’ is closed to new replies.