Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What home automation for controlling a few things remotely?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d like the ability to switch a few things (mainly an immersion heater and a socket with an oil filled rad connected) on and off remotely at a property with wifi and broadband.
    I’m aware of X10 but that seems a bit old and doesn’t seem to give confirmation of whether a command has been carried out or not (which could be expensive). Anyone used Belkin WeMo?
    Any other good alternatives?

12fifty
    Free Member

😯

jekkyl

ask the wife?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

add an IP webcam to see if it really turned on?

zilog6128

X10 is alright only because it’s cheap! It is fairly reliable but definitely not 100%. I use it with a Logitech Harmony remote to control lighting at home. I wouldn’t feel comfortable using it for anything I couldn’t see working due to the lack of feedback. By the time you’ve sodded about setting up cameras, etc you’d be better off getting a more reliable system with feedback I’d have thought.

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s loads of new ideas on home automation on kickstarter, but I neve know how far they are away from delivering.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smartthings/smartthings-make-your-world-smarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/energyaware/neurio-home-intelligence

clubber
    Free Member

add an IP webcam to see if it really turned on?

You’re an engineer, aren’t you 🙂

kayak23

Is this you?

colp

I use the LightwaveRF stuff (Screwfix sell it).
    No feedback channel like the Logitech stuff but works OK.
    Use use it with relays for my garage door, boiler etc.

cranberry
    Free Member

Having looked at home automation I’ve come to the conclusion that the market is just not mature enough to make a good decision on what “standard” to buy – there are a lot of Betamax systems out there and possibly one VHS. It is a shame – I would love to set something up that monitored/switched/fedback the status of various items in my house right now.

mossimus
    Free Member

Yes used Wemo, cheap and cheerful but does the job, there are several IFTTT recipes people have made too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

It was the IFTTT recipes that alerted me to WeMo in the first place.
    I should qualify my enquiry by stating that the property is a holiday home 100 miles away – so the ‘wife’ option won’t work!

wrecker
    Free Member

Tridium JACE?

clubber
    Free Member

100 miles away

Second wife?

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s a thought Clubber!

geoffj

WeMo here too – and I’m currently sat at home waiting for my friendly local polish plumber to come and finish connecting my new Heatmiser controller.

The WeMo doesn’t even need you to mess with the router or use a dynamic IP service, it must call home to report the IP address itself. Very clever!

Home Automation is getting better all the time although I was at a meeting last week, where some of the Vailant techies were com paining that when they rolled out their app for trial, 99% of its use was from the sofa .
    😆

mogrim

Second wife?

Even the most deluxe failsafe remote system would be cheaper than that option.

lister

Adopt a 3rd world child? Cheaper than a second wife…

harvey
    Free Member

just bought an automatic door for the henhouse.
    trickle down technology from the space program

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What home automation for controlling a few things remotely?’ is closed to new replies.