Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What hills to climb?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Thinking about doing some hill walking in the new year, clear the head and all that.

Now i’m in the central belt of Scotland (Livingston to be presise) so what hills should I climb?

Cheers

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Depends entirely on how much experience you have. I’d be thinking schiehallion for a kick off.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

experience? well I know what a hill looks like.

I’m not talking about mountain climbing or rappelling off something, but something I can take a pic from the top to say I climbed up something

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ben Venue if you keep of the craggy side?

Ben Cleuch in the ochills?

Teh main ridge in the pentlands actually makes a very pleasant walk.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So no experience then. I’d probably keep away from anything munro sized then.

Edric64
    Free Member

Corbetts are ok though and a Graham would be easy !!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

So no experience then. I’d probably keep away from anything munro sized then.

yeah, lets start small and work up to something bigger

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good idea. Unless you have some experience of snow and ice, ice axe and good nav skills, start with something a bit easier than winter Munros!

Oh OK how about Ben Lawers and the Tarmachan ridge?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good idea. Unless you have some experience of snow and ice, ice axe and good nav skills, start with something a bit easier than winter Munros!

Oh OK how about Ben Lawers and the Tarmachan ridge?

AlasdairMc

Do Arthur’s Seat to start with as a gentle walk, then as little or as much of the Pentlands as you like. The Kipps is a great walk to do, either one way to Flotterstone or looping back to Balerno via Maiden’s Cleugh.

Ben Chonzie near Comrie makes a nice first Munro, or Ben Lomond once the snow has gone.

marty
    Free Member

Lots of great hills around that aren’t too demanding to knock off at this time of year as long as you err on the side of caution. Also a lot of non-Munros that you could get into trouble on if your not great navigationally – was (most of the way) up Ben Ledi today, “tame” hill with a couple of quick ways down if you make an arse of it…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What hills to climb?’ is closed to new replies.