Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • What healthy(ish) snack to have with afternoon tea
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I end up buying a Twix or Snickers every afternoon at work and I want to stop. So what else can I bring from home to have with a cup of tea instead?

Any good flapjack recipes?

monde
    Free Member

Oatcake with a bit of crunchy peanut butter. Bit of avocado on top if you are feeling reckless.

midlifecrashes

An apple?

ratherbeintobago

Afternoon tea? Scones with jam & clotted cream.

The raisins in the scones and the jam are kind of two of your five a day

thecaptain
    Free Member

Something more bready and less chocolate would be an improvement. Hot cross buns are good this time of year, especially if you have access to a toaster.

I used to demolish a whole pack of chocolate digestives each day at work when I had a shit job I hated. Luckily it was only 5 months or I’d probably have got stuck inside unable to get out the door one day! (The key is to dunk, makes them easier to get down.)

eckinspain
    Free Member

It’s just that fruit doesn’t go well with a cuppa.
    And if I don’t have something to go with a cuppa then I just go and buy a Twix.

tlr

Tea cake.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Greggs Steak Bake.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Tea cake.

Tunnocks?

mattbee

Mrs has a Curly Wurly. Only about 100 calories but takes ages to eat so feels like it’s more substantial.

slowoldman

We are going to be wading through Christmas cake for some time to come.

funkmasterp

Cake, what you need is cake. Get carrot cake, I trick my brain in to thinking it’s healthy.

Kryton57

Nakd Cocoa bar. Chocolate tasting packed with crushed fruit and fibre.

cozz
    Free Member

grapes

bearnecessities

Mrs has a Curly Wurly. Only about 100 calories but takes ages to eat so feels like it’s more substantial.

Must
    Resist

scaredypants

bearnecessities – Member
    Must
    Remark

Well, get on with it lad !

chewkw
    Free Member

Coffee.

lunge

Nothing. You’re buying out of habit, you can easily get through the afternoon without food, worst case you’re a bit hungrier at dinner time. Have a pint of water, or an apple if you must but you can easily do without either.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I kid myself that these are healthy because “they’re the only breakfast biscuits with proven slow release carbohydrates over 4 hours”.

They are delicious though – that’s the honey and nuts ones btw. I almost always take them on bike rides.

Kryton57

Those are biscuits ernie. In a yellow box with a fancy name.

Cougar

I can share my flapjack recipe if you like.

Though in the first instance I’d advise to stop inventing meals and drink more liquids.

devash
    Free Member

Aldi do nice hike / energy bars that are made primarily of dried fruit, so low GI. 49p from what I remember.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Those are biscuits ernie.

Well I assumed that they were as it’s clearly written on the box that they are, but thanks for the tip anyway, and for pointing out that the box is yellow 🙂

ahsat

+1 for Nakd bar

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Biltong

Local SA shop does chilli and garlic it’s YUMMO!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

HArd boiled egg. Pinch of salt. Nom

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, get on with it lad !

That’s what SHE said!

(I’ll get my own coat, thanks.)

darrell
    Free Member

Ryvita with a slice of cheese on it

benp1

Once I’ve eaten lunch I can’t stop eating for the rest of the day (brekkie is currently 2-3 scrambled eggs followed by porridge)

I buy a 2nd lunch to eat around 3pm, first one at 12pm.

Snacks include chocolate, fruit, nuts, trail mix, chocolate, any junk left around the office, and often some chocolate

I brought a banana in today in the hope to avoid eating junk. Also have oatcakes and peanut butter as a backup

IHN

I end up buying a Twix or Snickers every afternoon at work and I want to stop.

So stop. It’s a chocolate bar, not a crack habit.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Malt loaf.
    WITH BUTTER ON.

JAG

What my colleagues are trying to say is….

Get some discipline and stop eating out of habit!

Honestly – don’t eat unless you have;

1) not eaten for at least two/three/four hours (delete as appropriate)

2) undertaken several hours of hard work/exercise

3) slept for the last 6-9 hours

I used to be the same as you. It’s just habit and boredom – don’t let it kill you/make you fat. You are smarter than that and you are in control 😯 8) 😆

PS; I still struggle with this problem but I am taking back control of my eating 🙄

A handful of nuts

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Stevet1 – Member
    Malt loaf.
    WITH BUTTER ON.

A little bit of sick just came up.

mahalo

1) not eaten for at least two/three/four hours (delete as appropriate)

2) undertaken several hours of hard work/exercise

3) slept for the last 6-9 hours

i could probably keep all 3! i have not eaten a thing since 7pm last night.
    i played squash after that and ive been at work since 6am this morning.

will go and grab a butty & bag of crisps soon tho, and a packet of them yoghurt covered rice cakes for my afternoon tea.

thats no strict plan or owt, just the way i am! probably should be a lot thinner but do lose my inhibitions a bit at weekend!

johndoh
    Free Member

Malt loaf all the way.

weeksy

A little bit of sick just came up.

WTF, malt loaf with butter is simply stunning !

I doubt it’s healthy… but by god it’s tasty !

mogrim

Nothing, you don’t need to eat in the afternoon. I usually go from 1 until 7:00-7:30 without eating anything.

Although I do like a bit of malt loaf with butter.

Nothing, you don’t need to eat in the afternoon. I usually go from 1 until 7:00-7:30 without eating anything.

That’s a terrible way to eat if you are watching your weight – small portions every 3 hours or so, if hungry and don’t eat late in the evening. 7.30 is late to have a big meal

IHN

Ditto.

That’s a terrible way to eat if you are watching your weight – small portions every 3 hours or so, if hungry and don’t eat late in the evening. 7.30 is late to have a big meal

Works for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘What healthy(ish) snack to have with afternoon tea’ is closed to new replies.