Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • What hard tail for hardcore trail ripping
  • YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

whyte 19,two of our lot have them. Nice bike!

dropoff

I do believe you, as I’ll (financially) never be in that sort of league as to be able to own one. I think that it’s great that anyone can love their bike so much that they’ll argue the point with all comers. However, a good friend of mine owns a Ti 456, it now sports some extra welding to hold the head tube on. This work wasn’t carried out by the supplier as they weren’t interested in a warranty claim, work it out sheesh. !!

hora
    Free Member

dropoff what were the circumstances and why did On One refuse to accept liability

dropoff

There were no special circumstances, the owner noticed the frame creaking and when at home checked the frame and found a crack around the headtube. the frame was returned and the report from the manufacturer (as i heard it) was that there were no manufacturing faults.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I would certainly entertain a Ti456 but for some reason a steel one doesn’t interest me – I don’t know why, it’s probably based on a misconception, maybe because it’s not 853. I should be more open minded I guess, maybe even try one!

TLR how much for the Cove Hummer?

hora
    Free Member

In the welds? Any crash damage? I thought On On was supposed to err on the side of the customer?

hora
    Free Member

geetee I had a ti456- I hated it yet I love the 456 summer season. It feel taut and not noodly.

dropoff

To my knowledge and knowing the rider there wasn’t any crash damage. All I can be sure about is the frame cracked and had to be repaired elsewhere. The original point that I was trying to make was that you can get a springy feel from any material, its just down to thickness of tubes. As we are all aware the tninner (and more flexible they get) the more fragile they become.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora – sounds good, I will have to check it out. The On One’s are such good value that it would be worth getting over my pre-conceptions.

By the way, don’t we know each other; aren’t you a friend of Martyn Souter’s? We did a few rides together, one over Hayfield way the other over in Lancashire? Or was that Binners?

aw
    Free Member

I am after something similar…I have about £1000.

I have always favoured steel frames befoe like the cindercone but i wondered of alu frames are just as good?

Is Ti worth the extra?

jimmy

Nothing else rides like an Alpine in my experience. If you like it, get one because every other hard tail will be a disappointment. For me it has something to do with being a short arse who likes short bikes, but still, they’re damn good and I’ll never swap it for another hard tail until Mike brings out a Ti version and I win the lottery to afford it and and and and

hora
    Free Member

geetee1972 I have done, not for a while now though. Probably two years ago the last time? Binners is also a local to these parts – he looks like Kojak, talks with a Liverpudlian accent and smokes (ducks ready for binners ire!).

AW I don’t think a Ti is worth the significant extra price over a steel/alu frame. However that scandium On One seems a real steal at the price! For me, the Chameleon is always going to feature around me. Its just ‘right’.

thomthumb
    Free Member
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What hard tail for hardcore trail ripping’ is closed to new replies.