• This topic has 110 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Mugboo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • What fun motorbike for the real world?
  • benp1

I’m thinking about what motorbike to get next, would love some thoughts

Been riding since 2008 but not had many bikes – SV650s after passing my test, then after a couple of years bought a Triumph Street Triple R. That was cracking fun and I really loved that bike. Used to commute to work on it in Central London, couple of trackdays, some big days out. Went onto a Fireblade after changing jobs and moving to more of a car commute, wanted to scratch the superbike itch. It’s a 2008 model, absolutely bloody brilliant bike, had it since 2013. Have done quite a few track days on it which it really is very good at. The main problem is that it’s too fast, it’ll do an indicated 100mph in first gear. Every time I ride it on the road I find myself doing things I shouldn’t, it’s too capable and too long legged. To be honest, on the sort of road I like, twisty A/B road type affair, I might actually be (or feel) quicker on the STR. I find the fireblade better for more open roads, have had some epics trips on it.

So I’m looking to swap to something else. It will be a toy, needs to be B road focussed rather than track focussed

Must haves:
    – smaller engine – or not superbike engine. I want to rev and change gear but still do normal speeds
    – involving – I don’t want a cruiser, I want something chuckable and fun. Rode a Triumph Bonneville and found it boring
    – not boring – I want to look at it and like it, doesn’t have to be pretty, but a Hornet or Bandit is boring even though they’re quite good
    – road toy, not track toy

Nice to haves:
    – probably something slightly older that I can do the basic servicing myself on. Don’t want to have to go to a dealer all the time, budget probably means that a dead cert anyway
    – Naked preferable over faired. Easier to work on and don’t need the fairing for everyday speeds
    – I’d still like something reliable, want to get on and ride, don’t want to have to tinker all the time

Budget isn’t fixed, guessing something around the £5-6k mark but can go more if there’s something I like. Have looked at everything from KTM Duke 390 to Ducati Scramblers and Hypermotards. Bike will be garaged

weeksy

KTM 690 Duke or arguably a 690 SMC-R

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

or another Street Triple…

colp

Was going to say Hypermotard, have you ridden one?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The 2021 Triumph Trident – get a brand new one for £7k. Looks like a fun bike.

benp1

Trident looks ace and I love Triumph, was thinking of avoiding new to not get hit with too much depreciation etc.

If I hadn’t had one then a Street Triple R or RS would defo be on the list. But having had one, I’d like to try something else. Was wondering about an MT07 but it’s also a little boring…?

KTMs feel like an itch I haven’t scratched and would like to. I need to get myself to a KTM dealer and have a go at a few I reckon. Sadly not many KTM dealers around.

How does the Supermoto bikes compare with the Dukes?

anagallis_arvensis

KTM 690 Duke or arguably a 690 SMC-R

😆

I used to have a BMW F650 single, you could rev the nuts off it and not go too fast especially if you dropped a tooth at the front. Legal speeds were fun.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Well, I have an MT-07 and it’s pretty good fun – get a 2018 model onwards as they have a few suspension tweaks and have ABS as standard. Worth a look at least.

Or perhaps Honda? CB500 or CB650? (EDIT: perhaps not, tad dull me thinks).

KTMs looks nice – I quite fancy trying out the 890 Duke or the earlier 790.

EDIT 2: My next bike will more than likely be a Street Triple RS. Well, that’s the plan anyway!

db

Not boring;
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TZR-250-2-STROKE-SPORTS-CLASSIC-1988-F/174603074699?hash=item28a7277c8b:g:0IUAAOSwfVVgBxrS

Also not naked and may not be reliable but you asked for small engine fun. 🙂

eddie123
    Free Member

Motorbike forum ? even though I own a bike myself haha. I would go 1000 cc naked for what you want I’ve owned Bandit 12 and Fazer 1000 both excellent but presently own a Fazer 600 boring but capable bit like a Vauxhall Astra haha

willard

Ducati Monster? A friend has one and loves it. The added bonus would be that the maintenance would keep you busy.

weeksy

How does the Supermoto bikes compare with the Dukes?

the SMCR is a taller more MX riding position. They’re different to eachother. the Duke is closer to your Triumph than the SMC-R is.

Funnily enough, i own a motorbike forum
    https://revtothelimit.co.uk/index.php

I’ve also owned 14 KTMs including 4 690s.

weeksy

I’ve owned a KTM 790 too. I now own a Yamaha XSR900

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kjGPZQ]2020-12-23_02-20-26[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

and a zx6R

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iNMiDh]2020-04-10_10-21-42[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If I hadn’t had one then a Street Triple R or RS would defo be on the list. But having had one, I’d like to try something else. Was wondering about an MT07 but it’s also a little boring…?

We’ve had/got both and the MT-07 isn’t in the same league as an ST3. Maybe the MT-09 might be but suspension was tosh.

benp1

Hmmm, liking a Duke…

Weeksy, how does the 690 compared with a 790?

fasthaggis

My heart wants one of those XSR900s in a Kenny Roberts yellow and black, they just look so sorted out ,but the old MXer in me is strong ,so I have been looking at big trailies and Hypermotards.Top of my(ever changing) list just now is an Aprilia Dorsoduro .

weeksy

Well I had a 690, traded it for a 790 and traded back to a 690.

790 us ergonomicalky closer to the triumph.
    60 is taller with lower pegs
    It’s just a very very fun bike

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d pitch a Husqvarna vitplillen or svartpillen 701. Polarising looks but then again so are the ktms. Personally the Huskie trounces any KTM on the looks score, certainly one you’d want to look back after parked up. Allegedly meant to be a better handling bike than the KTM equivalent ( not sure how though). And I think you can get a nigh on brand new one in your budget, or a year or two old and pocket the change.

Edit: street triple owner here and the vitplillen is a strong itch to scratch.

pip001
    Free Member

ccm spitfire ?

RustyNissanPrairie

Mk1 BMW 9RT – friend has a garage full of motorbike exotica and the 9RT is by far my fav.

Honda CB650 Neo?

stcolin
    Free Member

I have a deposit down on the new Triumph, my first big bike. The MT07 will be more fun, reading from all the reviews. Punchy feeling engine and fun geometry. I learned on an SV650 and loved it. Also briefly tried a Z650 and found the throttle and engine at low speeds very agricultural.

KTM 690/790 would be a great shout. I love the looks for the Husky 701s.

doomanic

MV Augusta Brutale 675? Looks banging.

fasthaggis

An 9RT with a nicer exhaust set up would be nice.
    I don’t like the twin up one side look.
    twin pipe

Matt_SS_xc

I bought a speed twin last year as a b road smasher. Greay fun. Can be sporty or lazy. Torquey enough to be easy, powerful enough to be fun

weeksy

Get an XSR and you can do this with your Mrs

2020-07-19_03-02-43 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode LITE

jim25

I’ve had pretty much all the sports bikes, best bike for the road I’ve had was the KTM SM T. Great bike

patagonian
    Free Member

Bit left field but here goes………Royal Enfield 650 Intercepter or Continental then visit TEC Bike Parts website and spend some of the money left over.

failedengineer

In the time honoured tradition of recommending what you have – BMW F800R. Now been replaced by the F900 in the BMW lineup. I love my F800 – I’ve had a fair few bikes, but this one is lovely and light and chuckable (albeit not quite as good as Street triple), is quick enough and importantly for me can carry a pillion in reasonable comfort. Sips fuel, too. Sounds horrible on the standard can though.

Northwind

That XSR900 is pretty sweet, never seen one of those before. Odd mix of styling but it works doesn’t it?

I’ve not ridden for years- still got my upgraded-to-the-bollocks SV650 in the garage, but instead of just reassembling that I’ve got a jones for a supermoto, and it seems like it might tick your boxes too. Not a proper full on mental one, more your softer duke etc. Fun at lower speed but also a used one keeps value like nothing else, unless you destroy it, so while they can seem expensive to buy sometimes if it doesn’t take you can move it on easily too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Was going to say Hypermotard

Mate has one in the Canaries. She loves it.

GolfChick
    Free Member

The fella got himself a 2019 KTM 690 SMCR last year and he really seems to like it despite me giving him grief for having a dirt bike on the road.

jamesmio
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing up an XSR900 or Ducati Desert Sled for the last few months; I’ve convinced myself that they’d both be excellent at times, though the Duc has the edge for scratching about the pothole and gravel riddled B (and A) rounds of D&G.

weeksy

I’ve owned 50+ motorbikes in the last 12 years. Of them all, my 3 favourite road bikes are

XSR 900
    KTM 690 Duke
    KTM 990 superduke

joefm

Ducati hypermotard?

doomanic

Bloody hell Weeksy, do you sell them when the fuel tank has run dry?

weeksy

Bloody hell Weeksy, do you sell them when the fuel tank has run dry?

Lost of them were within 8 years too.

There has been 2 sets, road bikes and track bikes, so some years have seen a few moving about yeah.

benp1

OK, really liking the 690 duke. Power vs fun looks spot on.

Looks like its been out for a while. Is the R worth it? Are the later versions significantly better than the earlier versions

mboy
    Free Member

In another “recommend what you own” style… How about an Aprilia Tuono. Not the newer V4 models that need the valves checked seemingly every other fuel tank, but an older V-Twin model… Either Gen1 or Gen2. Superb bikes! Easy enough to work on yourself, arguably more reliable than their other European counterparts, they’re a huge amount of fun, and as long as the electrics are sorted on them (not as big a problem as you might expect) they are pretty straightforward to look after. There’s also a huge wealth of knowledge on them from AP Workshops (previously Aprilia Performance) in Tamworth and on their facebook page too. Superb community too.

Otherwise a KTM 790 Duke… Easily the most “exploitable” bike I’ve tried in the last few years, very involving. I’ve not ridden the 890R, and I’m sure it’s even better, but then you won’t get one for anywhere near your budget!

MT-09’s are fun, but the stock suspension is gash. Engine is superb, so much character.

Maybe an air cooled Monster… More recent 821cc one…? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m ever tempted by the idea of a Supermoto myself, but from those I know that have had them, they’re much more of a license loser than a superbike!

Love my KTM SuperDuke 1290 GT. You’re not likely to get one in budget mind, and it’s probably a lot more power than you wanted! It’s arguably the fastest point to point road bike I’ve ridden, it’ll outgun a Superbike on corner exit grunt, keep up with them in the twisties, and has a 200 mile + tank range and is far more comfortable than almost any other road bike I’ve ridden. Redlining it through the gears isn’t something you can do on the road though! 😂

Tried my mates SuperDuke 990 for a bit when he had a go on my 1290. They’re a bit thin on the ground these days (good ones at least), and they make the Aprilia Tuono look highly practical by comparison, but it’s arguably more focussed and feels like a real weapon in the right hands! Hard (and expensive!) to find a good one now though.

I had an MT-10 for a bit… As subtle as a sledgehammer to the face, but huge grins until you run out of petrol! The shine wears off quickly if you need it to be more than a toy, but they do induce a grin. Poor quality rear shock (on non SP version), and perhaps the worst build quality of any modern Yamaha (mine was a real Friday afternoon bike, but I’ve heard some other horror stories too) that can make a KTM look like a sound investment though!

I’d be tempted by a Suzuki GSXS-1000 I must say. I know a few people with them that love them. Arguably seems like a more staid equivalent to an MT-10, but goes and handles just as well by all accounts, and much easier to live with (50 mile better tank range from the same 17L tank, other running costs much lower too). If you don’t want 1000cc power, then I’ve also been told the GSXS750 is a lot of fun too.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

As a Duke 790 owner (it’s a lovely bike) I would say another street triple would be a better bet.

I rode the triple RS before I bought mine, and I’ve ridden an older R since and they are better bikes all-round.
    I’ve not ridden one yet, but the 890 R seems to fix a lot of the things that niggle me about the 790 (surging throttle, sometimes the suspension feels a bit clumsy and better brakes should make the R a great bike) even the new 890 non-R should be a decent step forward, but 790 prices are still a bit strong against a triple a few years older and anything 890ish will have to be new (got mine with very good finance rates mind…) never tried a 690 but they do look like a lot of fun.

My 790 might be going soon to make way for a V4 Tuono, I do fear it might be “a bit too much” like the OP says, but the power and the noise put all reason aside after about 10 minutes of trying one!

weeksy

OK, really liking the 690 duke. Power vs fun looks spot on.

Looks like its been out for a while. Is the R worth it? Are the later versions significantly better than the earlier versions

1. Yes for track, not so much for road, the suspension some say on the R is a little stiff for the road, plus the rearsets are higher giving a more sporty riding position, which can be good or bad, but depends on preference. I went a weird way and bought R suspension, but ran it on a standard chasis/rearsets, for me it was the best of both worlds.
    2. Yes the later ones are better (2017>), a quick list of improvements are : secondary balance shaft in engine, improvements in rocker design to increase engine life, improved fuel tank, LCD display, mutli power mode (if you buy the track pack), traction control.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.