Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What front mech on your Solaris?
  • sok

I’m having trouble getting my front mech properly set up on my Solaris.
    I’m running 2×10 with a Shimano M985 dual pull on 36/22 rings, KCNC K type cranks with 2.5mm drive side spacer.

Whatever I try I can’t get the balance between the chain dropping off the top and / or bottom and not shifting at all. Often it seems to do both (overshifts, then put chain back on and then won’t shift).

Aside from my incompetent spannering, has anyone got any suggestions? I’m not sure whether I’m running a combination that the chainline angles just don’t like. All the kit is new so shouldn’t be any issues there although I wouldn’t rule it out. Next options to try are to try different spacer combinations and giving up and robbing a triple crankset and mech off a different bike. Unfortunately I don’t have a different double speed mech to try.

Any help / knowledge of what others are running, would be gratefully received.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Why not go the other way and instead of triple, single ring it up front. Works great and is easier than you might think to get used to. I know its not really the answer you were looking for but……

khani
    Free Member

First, set the mech up with the cable disconnected and the chain off, make sure its straight and when you push it by hand it clears the big ring by 2ish mm, then fit the chain,
    Then set the inner stop so when then chains on the biggest cog on the cassete and the inner ring there’s 1mm clearance between the cage and the chain, before you fasten the cable wind a couple of turns on the shifter barrel adjuster, then fasten the cable but don’t pull it too tight, then shift into the smallest cog on the cassete and the big ring and set the high cable stop,
    Then use the barrel adjuster to fine tune the shifting..
    A high band dangly down mech is better as well
    If you’ve done all that I have no idea…

sok

Brake – I plan to go single ring for usual riding as that’s what I’ve ended up with over last few rides and it’s been ok. Trouble is Transalp beckons so want to keep baby gears for then.
    Khani – thanks, done all of this. Several times over.

khani
    Free Member

Check the cable routing, some aren’t as obvious as they look.. And have you switched your shifter to shift double not triple?

stevemakin

cheap Deore with an old XTR triple on mine, no issues at all

sok

Had a helpful answer from Cy at Cotic. Not my mechanics but the wrong mech. I have a top swing, you need a bottom swing one.
    Off to the ‘For Sale’ and ‘Wanted’ forums I go.

Lummox

Fitted this on my solaris, top pull cheap as chips and working lovely
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6510

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What front mech on your Solaris?’ is closed to new replies.