Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What fancy food for Christmas shall I bring back from London?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing too large, nothing overly perishable since I’ll be on my bike and returning this Thursday.

I will be going to Monmouth Coffee in Borough Market, any other ideas? We have beer and wine drinkers on the guest list but I am neither. The main food (meat etc) is already dealt with by my sister.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Cheese?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Pie and Mash.

Pigface
    Free Member

Kebab

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pie & Mash? http://www.manze.co.uk/ – not far from Borough Market

rewski
    Free Member

Stilton from Neals Yard next door? Charcuterie some fancy chocolate from the fancy new st lucia chocolate shop, Kings Pork Pie?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sossidge

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

cheese +1

molgrips
    Free Member

Stilton, good call, I am not sure pie and mash will travel well in my panniers or keep that well for 6 days.. Or be that great as nibbles… 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

This one Rabot 1745

johndoh
    Free Member

You do know that there are shops outside London don’t you? You don’t need to take food home from there.

poolman
    Free Member

when you go to borough mkt get a boston burger to keep you going – best burger I have ever had.

good luck

tomhoward

Jellied Eels?

theotherjonv

Cheese from neal’s yeard dairy.

Don’t go with preconceptions though, taste some and put a christmas cheeseboard together based on what’s tasting good at the moment. Like wine, the quality of the cheese varies based on the milk from the cows which varies based on the quality of grass, etc. they’ve been eating, so blindly saying this vs that vs the other when you have a man or lady prepared to guide you in your choice – it’s a great way to pass some time.

london_lady
    Free Member

Chocolates by Paul A. Young
    http://www.paulayoung.co.uk/

senorj

PSA – Cheese also available at Borough market..but if you do decide to go to Neals Yard for cheese you could save yourself a journey , as there is a MOnmouth coffe place literally seconds walk away…..

brakes
    Free Member

Cheese and cured meat from downstairs in Fortnum & Mason.
    There is no better choice for Christmas and there is an air of theatre to the turquoise bags dahling.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Salt beef bagel form the Bagel shop on Brick Lane 😉

binners

The taste of despair?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Wolfs nipple chips

Drac

Wolfs nipple chips

Aren’t they better when they’re hot?

PSA – Other towns and cities do food too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a cheese and pesto flat bread “sarny” you could take back with you. I’ve had a few bites out of it like, but it still looks in decent condition, smells nice, says “freshly made, tasty and delicious” on it.. The plastic wrapper comes free…

Shall I post it if you don’t collect 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have a look round the market, bound to be something that interests you and screams “buy me”.

Beer/wine won’t travel well on the bike.

maccruiskeen

Leeks.

SiB
    Free Member

A cockney

mt
    Free Member

binners – Member
    “The taste of despair?”

You speak the truth!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

This lot are in Borough Market

http://www.burntsugar.co.uk/

Easily transportable, nice and also bad for you!

theotherjonv

NB, Borough market isn’t open every day, but it is on Thursday. Just in case anyone’s thinking of going based on these suggestions.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Chicken Hut

ransos
    Free Member

Chocolates by Paul A. Young

It’s Christmas time, there’s no need to be afraid…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cheese – Rippon Cheese on Tachbrook St, SW1
    Then, just down the road to pick up a few special numbers to take home from http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/ (Can I recommend that Sir tries the Black Tokyo Horizon if there’s any left?)
    Then, to Fortnums for candied fruits.

allthepies
    Free Member

This place is beer central http://www.utobeer.co.uk/beer_offlicence.html

If you’re not a beer person though then seek guidance from your guests as to which beer styles they enjoy. Let the Utobeer people recommend stuff to you based upon this.

mossimus
    Free Member

If you are after cheese then go to La Fromagerie on Moxon St Marylebone, you can then pop next door to the Ginger Pig, even if you do not want to buy any meat it’s worth a visit for their ‘Roast of the Day’ sandwich.

molgrips
    Free Member

You do know that there are shops outside London don’t you? You don’t need to take food home from there.

🙄

Problem is that most of the fancy foodie stuff my family like, I don’t really care for!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t call now, I’ve eaten the “sarny” 😆

I dunno, try to help a chap out… 🙄

bamboo
    Free Member

How about something from the on site catering facilities?

jag61

please make sure that you follow the advice given in the pie definition thread if you choose to import a pastry based comestible back to civilisation. dont want to upset anyone eh?

hammyuk
    Free Member

You need to go to Borough Market and visit The Ginger Pig….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

How about something from the on site catering facilities?

BOOOOOOMMMMMM!

RichPenny
    Free Member

What could they possibly sell on Borough Market that you couldn’t get in Wales?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What fancy food for Christmas shall I bring back from London?’ is closed to new replies.