Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • What European destination for an 11 year old to explore?
  • jekkyl

rome.

stevextc
    Free Member

As probably everyone knows, I am a big CPH fan

I really like CPH but I like it because it’s “cosy” rather than exciting….
    I was in an “exciting place” last week…. (St Petersburg) .. really much prefer Cosy CPH 😀

But CPH for me isn’t really different for me than going to Aberdeen (except the public transport works much better). Perhaps I’m just old, jaded and too well travelled.

DrJ

But CPH for me isn’t really different for me than going to Aberdeen (except the public transport works much better).

I’ve lived 5 years in both places and I wouldn’t know where to begin with listing the differences 🙂

IHN

For a start, the locals in Copenhagen all speak comprehensible English 😉

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve lived 5 years in both places and I wouldn’t know where to begin with listing the differences

It’s not that they are not different to each other but that they are not more different than to some generic “UK” city… Copenhagen doesn’t feel like “Abroad” to me… For me that is a big positive… I turn up, go into work .. and it doesn’t feel different to doing the same in Manchester but for an 11yr old kid it might not feel exciting…

mefty
    Free Member

When I was young we went on a tour of the Chateaux of the Loire, whilst I wouldn’t recommend our itinerary they are pretty amazing – and many host spectacular sounds and light shows at night. There are plenty of bathing spots along the river, no doubt there are other activities too, lots of regional wines and good food.

anagallis_arvensis

We spent some time in Stockholm last summer. Stayed with friends which helped with costs as its bloody expensive. It has an open air museum/ zoo. Junior watcjed them feed the wolverines which was pretty cool, went to the vasa museum which is awesome and the armoury which he lived..oh and the viking museum. They all had wheel chairs for his clumsy oaf dad too which was nice!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ryanair do Bristol to Krakow I think.

Plenty to do in and around the city, plus it’s relatively cheap to stay. Train and Bus travel is cheap so a trip to the Tatra mountains is doable also.

johnx2
    Free Member

City breaks are great for kids. Best I recall were Barcelona and also San Sebastian – beach, easy to get out of into hills, nice vibe, chance to try out a bit of Spanish. Barca has a lot more going on. Need good air-con for mid summer, but you can escape the heat all over the place and our pale skinned brood were fine.

Or Edinburgh.

avdave2

went to the vasa museum which is awesome

I walked in there as I had a few hours to kill before flying home and thought it might be worth a look. I went through the ticket booth and just stopped dead in my tracks. Awesome is a very overused word but it just about manages to describe my reaction to it. The only thing I’ve seen to equal in effect, although a very different effect, was the installation / sculpture “Fallen Leaves” in the Jewish Museum in Berlin. I don’t think either experience will ever leave me.

timidwheeler

Go to the alps. It is droppingly pretty and there is so much to do. Go near Mont Bland and you can visit Italy France and Switzerland in the same holiday. It will feel like a different planet to him if he has never left the UK. (Also you can hire bikes for a day). In the summer there is loads of cheap accommodation.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What European destination for an 11 year old to explore?’ is closed to new replies.