Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • My New Film About Local Mountain Biking?
  • domjohn123
    Free Member

Hi

This is a short film that i shot about 2 weeks ago, it is one that i have thought about a bit more than some of my other films, i have also used a better camera and i think the results of this speak for themselves, there will be a higher resolution version (HD) going on to vimeo in the next few days. See what you think and feel free to post comments etc. thanks
    Dom

tang
    Free Member

great stuff, reminds me of my youth and long forgotten hot dry summers…not a care in the world, bikes, babes and biftas….

Stiggy

Great feeling to it, good work 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Really really enjoyed that. Really liked much of the camera angles and the way it was focussed.

If you want a comment, and this isnt a criticism, maybe instead of some of the pushing and static bike shots, you could have videod the faces of the lads biking, or seen a bit more of them to give the film that bit more of a personal feeling? Only a comment – good choice of music too and great lighting as well.

Top work.

Drac

Nice work like well shot and nice use of lighting, I'd agree with Simon about giving it a personal touch and certainly lose the pushing on the flat shots.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Nice one, makes a change from the usual badass stuff that gets posted up here.

Surfr
    Free Member

Nice use of a DSLR there 🙂

Makes me want a EOS 5d Mk. II just that little bit more…

sobriety
    Free Member

I liked the bike & pushing shots, made it more about the bikes and the riding than the people in it.

domjohn123
    Free Member

i no what you mean Simon and Drac about the faces, i will try to add some of that in next time, the flat bit was actually a hill with lots of jumps, it is very hard to convey the steepness of the angles when doing close-up shots :-). might do a re-edit of it with new footage in the next few weeks 😉

domjohn123
    Free Member

thanks Sobriety, one of the reasons aside from getting in the bikes and lower of the people, was that it means that although it is not as personal it means that more people can realte to these images. 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

I'd be careful of those two, they're just looking for groomees 😉

MrSparkle

Nice work.

corroded
    Free Member

Really enjoyed that – well done. Liked the angles and the use of light was great. Would echo what has been said – a glimpse of a face or even just an expression would have been nice. I think people relate to people more than bikes.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ignore him – he's just jealous of my own "badass" MTB videos

If you need some pointers as to what makes a great MTB short, check this out 😀

http://www.vimeo.com/3739063

Danny who?

domjohn123
    Free Member

haha, well everyone has there own style. its more using a DSLR to film it with as it very versitile at a reasonably good price. i have used my tripod as a sort of boom cam device as it enables me to get wider and more interesting shots while also being able to keep quite close to the rider. it also give a smoother feel to the shot.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Loved it. I agree with Simon about capturing the laffs and sillyness in the faces of the friends. The social aspect is important.

Mountain boarding eh? No brakes dude!

But it was well done overall

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

far better than i was expecting with the shouting in the thread title 😉
    really impressive infact. good to see the borders track at the clumps making an appearance too.

domjohn123
    Free Member

i had to get the thread noticed, so i thought i would shout about it :-), yer the borders track is pretty fun mess around on, theres quite a range of lines and stuff 🙂

Whitish
    Free Member

Nicely put together.

Drac

, the flat bit was actually a hill with lots of jumps

It is hard to gradients your right but trees tend to grow vertical and the field wasn't very steep. Still a good effort.

trailmonkey

Really nice, great knock. Hard to make any critisism but I think you'd make a much nicer film if you could get yourself out to some more inspiring trails. Look forward to seeing more.

Wookster

well mate I thought that was BL**dy brilliant!!! Only problem I have and its a big one!!!!! is it's reminded me I have to wait till saturday to have a proper ride again!!!!!

Really good mate, look forward to your next one!!!!

domjohn123
    Free Member

its hard around flat oxfordshire :-), but yes i know what you mean trail monkey, but that would sway from the point of local trails and this is what is local to me.

rolfharris
    Free Member

That was brilliant. Most home made films that appear on here are awful, but I really enjoyed watching that- maybe one or two less pushing shots, but I like them and the shots of the bikes. Nice riding, nice weather, nice film- shows real talent.

GEDA
    Free Member

How do you get you tube to be such good quality? It is always rubbish when I load up films what ever the source resolution.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Nice one Dom,A really great vid,cant really offer any advice,a bit less pushing maybee!

I would be I interested to know what software you are using, and It must require some serious computing power to edit it!.

I have a HDef camera (AVCHD format)and really need a better pc for editing,any advice appreciated.

spooky_b329

Very impressive…enjoyed it 🙂

Lose the skids at the beginning though!

Edit: And the ending is a bit abrupt!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I liked that. Nicely shot and a good atmosphere.

Constructive criticism – You could shave a minute off it and not loose anything, remember if shot's not impressive slowing it down or showing multiple angles is just going to emphasis this (ie the slo mo skid) . The vignetting is slightly ott and the mountain board seemed incongruous and out of place. I think the end title "this is what mountain biking is about" seems a tiny bit pompous and not really accurate either seeing as you've got the mountain board guy in there too. Place and date would have been sufficient and in keeping with the subtle style.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

😀

Mush
    Free Member

You've done a good job putting it all together. I have to say it came as a bit of a shock to see a film about my own local trails. While the mountain board track is good fun, there's other riding to be had in Badbury Clump…maybe see you around there at some point.

steel4real
    Free Member

That's flippin good – the quality is excellent. The riding is quite good but I'm not a big fan of wanton trail destruction (skidding !).

The guy on a mountain board is very impressive, more so than the bike riding !!

bassspine
    Free Member

I loved the light on the forest floor.
    I didn't feel that it needed faces, I liked the thing of it not being any particular mountainbiker
    I really liked the mountain board in there too.
    excellented and favourited on youtube 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Excellent, ordinary riders doing ordinary stuff & the caption at the end took the words out of my mouth.

RealMan
    Free Member

Liked it all except the dodgy skidding. Very cool.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Great stuff 8)

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Where are the trails , look good and i'm in north oxon so would like to find stuff like that ! Nice vid too 8)

jimmy

thats great. regardless of any criticism (as a non-film maker I have non!) I agree with Tang. Reminds me of long hot summers bumming about in the woods riding trails over and over, sitting and chin-wagging, ride some more and head home into the sunset. Has that feel about it. Great stuff. You should do a 'Locals Seasons'…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

well done – you've captured that nice feeling of proper old fashioned riding bikes in the woods. I enjoyed it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Wow! Really good!
    Well done!

Bregante

loved it.

thanks for putting it up

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘My New Film About Local Mountain Biking?’ is closed to new replies.