Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What do you do to create new trails?
  • ahug
    Free Member

Got involved with a local community woodland group a couple of years ago who had just surveyed my town (Alyth Perthshire), 1 in 5 people wanted to see some kind of bike trails but the FC said it couldn’t happen. We’re now in the position where it will, fingers crossed a pump track early next year, followed buy 600m of Jumps and berms, and 600m of blue grade trail.

FC need it to be built to trail centre spec, costly, but doable with grants. We’re raising money at the moment to support the funding process. If you can help there are raffle tickets at
    http://www.justgiving.com/bradleywigginsraffle .

1st Prize framed and signed British Championship jersey.

2nd prize 2 nights premier B+B at local 4* hotel plus two days guiding with an MBLA tutor.

The whole thing is being organised and run by the Alyth Hill Users Group who are a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) charity number SC043382. Please buy tickets and pass this info onto anyone else you think may be interested.

yunki
    Free Member

I tend to go

‘phwooaarr… look at that! D’you reckon you could ride down that..? Where d’yer reckon it comes out..? let’s have a look..’

ahug
    Free Member

Finding one end of a trail/deertrack always a good moment 😀

GEDA
    Free Member

So what did you do to create new trails? I tend to look at the os map and using a bit of local knowledge ‘improve’ the deer tracks while making it all as low key as possible. Any jumps must be off existing rocks or stumps, no strava and no woodwork.

Mugboo

GEDA – that sums up my local trailbuilding perfectly.

When I build with Singletraction (on FC land) we scrape/dig off any organic crap to get down to subsoil then rock pitch (old dry stone walls), finish with limestone 40mm to dust. Stay off it for a few weeks while the weather does its thing.

Easy…..

Good luck 🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

Go nuts with a chainsaw etc, results as shown below;

ahug
    Free Member

Looking good Duane, we’ll not slip that past onyone though, but the young ones would like it. 🙂

ahug
    Free Member

midday bump

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you need to do it to trail centre spec then it is worth contacting someone who has done it before. When I was first trying to get the southampton bike park built I contacted a few. The best in terms of listening to what we wanted, what we had and giving the best solution was Rowan Sorrel. Unfortunately it took a year to get through the process by which time I had lost the original funding so as I was using my money to bulks it, I cut costs and didnt pay for anything I didn’t have to.

Rowan was one of the things I couldn’t afford. I still feel bad about it as he was so helpful. I would recommend him based on my experience, even just as a few days consultancy to help you get started.

ahug
    Free Member

Thanks for sound advice. We’ve had advice from Paul masson . Just need to raise the cash to get someone to oversee the whole thing. http://www.justgiving.com/bradleywigginsraffle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What do you do to create new trails?’ is closed to new replies.