Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What do it all road bike?
  • julians
    Free Member

I know next to nothing about road bikes, but I’m thinking of getting one to improve fitness.

I definitely wont be racing/doing any sort of competition on it, but I guess I would use it for any other cycling on the road, including the occasional commute to work (~15 miles each way).

So where should I start looking? and would I notice a significant difference if I spent £1k versus £500.

The planet x bikes appear ( to the untrained eye) to be decent looking value.

Jamie
    Free Member

The Giant Defy 1 seems to be the go to bike for newbs. Decent build and relaxed-ish fit.

£1k, tho.

Junkyard
    Free Member

GO cheap as you may not like it /use it

IMHO there is not as much difference in performance [ at the cheaper end] with road bikes v MTB as the weight savings are less real for a MTB
    That s whatever road bike you get it will seem light and fast compared to a MTB

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-uk-id_8274036.html

this got excellent reviews even when compared to £1`k bike and now £50 cheaper
    An excellent starter bike IMHO

martymac

i would want full guards if i was doing a 15 mile commute, so make sure your chosen bike can take them.
    imo you will notice the difference between a 0.5k and 1k bike, the 1k one will be lighter, probably have a better ride and be fitted with more durable parts.
    would you consider a cyclo cross bike? they are very adaptable.

edited for spelling.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

The cheaper Defy with the carbon fork, I think maybe the 3 or 3.5 is a great buy at £500 ish.

Plenty of others in the £500 ish bracket too.

If you want a bit of do it all! Look for a frame that can take mudguards.

I have 3 Planet X bikes and they are great for the money. The most versatile is my Uncle John CX bike with discs, carbon fork and mudguards. Can also fit a rack for commuting with panniers.

Those Decathlon ones are pretty good too if you want to keep the cost down.

tomkerton
    Free Member

A CX worked for me for ‘my first road bike’ – I got a Cannondale CAADX disc. It cost a grand. It’s been great for winter riding on the roads and lanes when mtbing is limited due to mud.

plus-one

Yup get a cx bike … Comfort on road and ability to off road too 🙂

FOG

I bought a cheap Decathlon bike 10 years ago to see if I fancied getting back into road riding. It is still my winter bike and has been excellent value for money, cost £500 and has needed minimal maintenance despite winter use.

bokonon
    Free Member

I got a defy 2 in November as “my first road bike”, it’s done 600km, 6000m of climbing so far, I absolutely don’t regret getting mud guards from the off, and think it’s a really comfy easy to ride bike. The only complaint so far has been the tyres seem a bit weak, a few punctures here and there, but nothing major.

Murr
    Free Member

hi julians, what height are you got a perfect condition giant defy 4. for sale lucky if it’s done 100 miles more info on the for sale forum posted yesterday with a link to some photos bike size is m/l or aprox 56cm cheers

julians
    Free Member

Thanks all, when I said road bike,I guess I meant not mountain bike. A cyclo cross bike looks like a road bike to me, so yep, A cx is definitely a possibility.

Regarding budget, not looking to spend loads, so If I could get away with £500 (or less) then that’d great, but I dont want to end up riding the road bike equivalent of an ASDA BSO.

Hadnt considered mudguards, but thats a good point, They would probably be pretty useful.

Cheers all.

johnners
    Free Member

The Cross-Check is a great do-it-all, as long as the “all” bit doesn’t include anything sprightly, or serious CX, it’s way too heavy for any of that nonsense.

Takes mudguards, big tyres and panniers for the commute or light touring, relaxed geometry, comfy.

Jamie
    Free Member

One option is the cheaper Boardman CX Comp. £599, but Halfords currently doing £60 off £600, so chuck in a spokey dokey, and you get it for £540.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wUEkfCgipE[/video]

johnners
    Free Member

It’s a bit disingenuous of them to call a Boardman promo film a review, but it does look like very good value. I like those STi things which “allow your hands to be kept on the brakes at all times”, they could catch on.

oldgit
    Free Member

Defy’s are a great ‘road’ bike. I’d not bother with a cross bike, if you ain’t going to take a mountainbike off road in this weather are you really going to take a CX bike off road?
    Defy’s take mudguards, but don’t look gash without them.
    Cross bike + 23C’s + mudguards = GOPPING.
    It’ll have road tyres fitted.
    It has hidden rack eyes if you want to carry luggage.
    Properly designed for the road.
    Kind of almost built for what you want really.
    Go like hot cakes second hand if you don’t like it.
    I don’t have one, but for the money I really think I might get a basic one for when it’s foul out.
    Defy 5 £499 full retail.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The defy is a great road bike and I really enjoy ridin mine. It sucks up the miles and is easy on your body. I however want to sell mine as I have a CX itch to scratch lol.

jwab
    Free Member

I’ve just got a pinnacle dolomite from Evans and it is a great basic road bike. Initially wanted a cx bike but like a light road bike so hot this as it has decent clearance 28 tyres at least. Not sure if you would have to go to the 600 odd quid one with tiagra shifting or where sora would be good enough?

taxi25
    Free Member

I don’t agree with you can’t tell the difference between a £500 roadbike and a £1000 one. Some good budget choices mentioned but a carbon £1000 bike can be much nicer. I’d be looking at a Ribble 365 as a do it all bike in that price range.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Plenty of options second hand for that kind of money…such as my sub 17lb Planet X Pro SL…;-)

mogrim

I’ve got a Decathlon 500€ bike (a Sport 2, I think they renamed them Triban 3 or something) – great bike, excellent VFM, recommended.

cynic-al
    Free Member

a carbon £1000 bike can be much nicer.

I’ve yet to see one. Just because a bike is carbon, its not necessarily better than alu bikes at the same price.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I bought a Defy 1 this year. I race the living daylights out of it on crit circuits and also do long steady rides as well. Fitted mudguards for the winter and it is such a nice machine for winter training.

drewd

I bought a Decathlon Triban 3 around 6 months ago and have to agree that for the money (it was a bargain at £300, it’s a steal at 250) it is great value. It will take mudguards or 25c tires (limited clearance for both), and the shifters are not as good as better groupsets but they are reliable and the guarantee from Decathlon is excellent. I have changed the saddle, brake pads, stem and fitted full length guards and it is comfortable and quick enough round the potholed lanes of Lancs. None of those changes were essential.

It’s not the best bike but it is great for the cash, and the triban 5 has a better groupset and is only £429. They hold their value fairly well and are easy to sell on too. If you have a Decathlon near you it’s worth taking a look.

mboy
    Free Member

Giant Defy is a great option, but in a similar vein (but with long drop calipers to fit proper guards), check out the Forme Longcliffe models. Great VFM and if you hunt around, sometimes you can pick up a bargain. Where are you based?

The new 2014 Raleigh Revenio range is very nice too for the money, nice design, decent specs, good reviews. Or if you’re pushing the budget up to £1k then consider a Kinesis T2 perhaps…

julians
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’m located about 2 miles from a decAthlon ,so I might take a look at them

Still quite liking the look of the planet x rt58 at 599.

Any views on these ? How they compa’re to the rest

jag61

Been pleased with my defy 2 not used much recently but looking forward to it,.What mudguards are you other defy users using?

bokonon
    Free Member

I’m using Giant’s own Defy mudguards.

monkeyp

I have just gone for Cannondale Synapse disk 105 which is a great do-it-all bike. Previously had Genesis Croix de Fer, but its use was biased more to road. The ‘Dale is much nicer on road, but due to the disks will actually take cx tyres at a push.

Will take guards as well (neat concealed bosses) and seems ideal for my 25 mile commute.

Jamie
    Free Member

What mudguards are you other defy users using?

I used the Crud Race MK2s.

monkeychild
    Free Member

On my 2010 Defy, I tried road racers mk2 thought they were rubbish (150 miles a week), defy guards fell to bits at the stays. Got SKS bluemels on and they are ok. They need adjusting every now and again and rattle a bit. The defy is a pain for guards especially with certain 25mm tyres (I use 23mm).

Jamie
    Free Member

Also had them on a 2010 Defy, and never had an issue, probably about 2k+ miles.

Horses for course, I guess.

TiRed

SKS Raceblade Long. Truly excellent. Just bought 30 pairs.

takisawa2

TriBan3 here, but with upgraded wheels. I’d be keen to see exactly how much better a £1k bike would be, as it rides ace.
    Going to sell it I think, as I want something like a Fargo that can take a bit of punishment.

julians
    Free Member

After all the advice (gratefully received – thanks) – I bought a Cube Agree GTC compact.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-agree-gtc-compact-carbon-road-bike-white-blue-id73256.html#info

Hopefully it wont kill me.

Look out for me riding it with urge enduro helmet , baggy shorts, flat pedals and camel bak.

tomhoward

Another vote for raceblade longs, easy to fit (unlike the cruds) haven’t fallen apart (unlike the cruds) and never needed to adjust them once fitted (unli…. You get the idea)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Cannondale Synapse does ride nice, and their is this equilibrium in the classifieds that seems quite decent:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-equilibrium-725-575-like-new

(not mine nor do I know the seller…)

mrmo
    Free Member

depends on what you define as occasional commute, i am doing 17ish each way and it does wear things out! You don’t need to spend a fortune, but be aware that better shifters are a bit more durable. The more you can spend the better.

But your the only person who can say how much you will use it

headpotdog
    Free Member

I got a Giant Defy 1 back in October and have been shocked about how much I’ve used it since. The mountain bike has hardly been out of the garage!

For me paying the extra money for the 1 is worth it. The 105 groupset works so well and is very crisp, the brakes are excellent and it just rides so well. Comfy, confidence inspiring handling and plenty quick enough for me. Sure, the wheels could be lighter, but its a great first road bike for me & that’s the only upgrade I can think of that could be worthwhile.

julians
    Free Member

Well the new bike arrived today. Feels bloody light compared to my mojo hd.

It’s going to take some getting used to the drop bars, I havvent been on a racer since I was 15

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s going to take some getting used to the drop bars

Y’know, I rarely ever go into the drops, either on my old Defy or my Croix De Fer. I’m all about the hoods.

…but then I’m not a elite cyclist like most of STW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What do it all road bike?’ is closed to new replies.