Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What Cyclocross Bike?
  • monksie
    Free Member

Can anybody point me in the direction of a cyclocross website, store or internet forum/classifieds that has a selection of ‘cross bikes between £500-£1000?
    I need to make a purchase and I don’t really know what I’m looking at but I learn quickly 😉
    Thanks

alfabus
    Free Member

proper cx, or just cx ‘style’… would you want discs, gears, hub gears, rack mounts?

or is this actually for cx racing?

Dave

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply alfabus.
    I’m not interested in racks, panniers, mudguards etc. but one if not two bottle cages would be ideal.
    Discs preferably but not essential.
    I want to do some all day off road rides but I’m going off mountain bikes

alfabus
    Free Member

Genesis croix de fer ~£1100

or a day one alfine if you fancy some hub gearage ~£1000

or there is always the cotic >x< if you want to stick with an MTB brand: £900 or £1200 depending on spec (discs extra):

Dave

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get discs, everyone will have them in a few years!

As for a source…here or ebay?

traildog
    Free Member

Why are you going off mountain bikes?
    To me, a cross bike is something designed to play around in the mud for a few hours. Ok, you can do silly things on them such as the 3 peaks, but there are far more suitable things for that.
    There are more options in mountain bikes than overweight trail bikes.

Anyway, for cross I would say that mud clearance is key. I’m a big fan of the Scott CX Team I have and the Comp is less than a grand I believe.

GaryLake
    Free Member

something designed to play around in the mud for a few hours

Or for doing big 6 hour + mixed surface epics!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

What’s that Boardman CX bike like? That comes with discs to.

Dobbo

I like never really knowing if I’ll stop on my CX bike with cantis.

traildog
    Free Member

My current CX bike is fine with cantis. My previous one wasn’t so at least I know what people are saying.
    I probably ride my cross bike more than anything else at the moment and currently it’s the only thing I race at, so I do enjoy cross bikes.
    I would say they are brilliant at multi surface long rides. However, I would question if they really are the best for 6 hour off road rides.
    I guess it all depends on terrain, but I think a lot of people are getting them because they are the new cool in school.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I use Tektro’s version of Frog Legs and stop just fine.

brassneck

Ridley Crossbow, buy Belgian you know it makes sense!

oooh, didn’t know the Cotic came in for 900 built though ….

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have one of those Cotics. I like it.

duckman

I also have one of the Cotics,I also like it. Handles like a Soul….with drops. 😀

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ridley, empella, scott, sworks tricross… all good.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I have a Cube X-Race Comp, great spec for the money if a little characterless. I also considered the Cannondale CAADX which is a very good looking bike IMO in the end it came down to the LBS that stocked the Cube and being more agreeable to deal with. Considered the Genesis bike but they are allegedly a wee bit heavy.

Since getting it its been a revelation, it copes with 90% of the terrain out my door and adds some many other routes to my commute. It is a compromise though of course but its the bike I’m using most at the moment.

oldgit
    Free Member

Pure cross bikes are great things to ride, but they only seem to be enjoyed at full blatt, Go slow and they fall over.

I’m knocking up a bike based on the CdF, road gearing up front and MTB gearing out back, plus I’ve ‘tailored’ some hydros to fit Midge bars so I can get more out of ‘trails’ Mind you not been off road since November.

Using both, but I want to perserve my ‘proper’ crosser for race day,

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Hi Steve,

I still race, commute and do silly miles on my Empella. Cheap as chips to get a frame and forks ………..

DaveyJohnston
    Free Member

One word – ‘Alan’

jonba
    Free Member

Does anyone know anything about the new planet x uncle John? Supposed to be released this month. Looks like there will be disc compatible forks.

weescott
    Free Member

Cotic were very good building my custom spec:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cotic_x_snow/

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments.
    Ian. Your Empella has been gnawing away at me for the last two years or so. One day, one day.

kennyp
    Free Member

I have a Spesh Tricross and love it. Not maybe the trendiest or coolest brand name, but if I could only own one bike then it would be that one.

wingnuts

Talking un-cool I have a Giant TCX and love it. Most used bike I have (and cheapest) This years is in a really nice grey/black/blue colour as well. Try one and you will be hooked. I did and was. Probably go for a slightly smaller version than you would normally think of getting. I’m what the bumf says is a medium large/ large type of size. tryed both and got a medium and haven’t regretted it. Just feels that bit more responsive.

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve sold my mountain bike earlier today so now I only have a road bike and a hack bike.
    My mountain bike rides involved riding up to 25 miles on the road to get to Ladybower or some such in the Peak District, do a 10 mile off road ride and then ride on road home again on my hardtail.
    Mad!
    I seem to do more road miles on a mountain bike ride than I do off road. A ‘crosser will be ideal for me. In fact, that Empella up there ^ will be ideal for me. It’s even my size! (are you listening Ian :-)).

mattsccm
    Free Member

My SS Tricross gets used 5 to 7 days a week. Every week. Great for fast and easy trails, gravel and road. Bit of down hilling but only FoD ones which are not gnarly.
    An ideal winter bike as well

maxray
    Free Member

I got a croix as I do far more road canal and a bit of off road than off road proper. If we move closer to hills I’m sure I will get back on the mtb more but at the mo with young kids time is precious and I can’t justify a minimum 30 min drive to get to mountains.

Bloody love the croix tho, and tho form follows function I have had more comments and questions about it than any bike I’ve owned.

crazy-legs

Steve, I’ve used my Tricross CX for very similar rides to what you describe – long mixed-surface rides or road rides with bits of off-road. Great bikes, really versatile, you can pretty much set them up however you want. Racing, touring and everything in between. 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these on Cyclescheme.
    No bottle cage mounts, no rack eyelets and Tektro froglegg brakes that make stopping very “interesting” in anything other than bone dry conditions but very quick and surprisingly good fun on my commute across the Quantocks.
    Edit:- £500 outside the price range too 😳

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks again everybody. I’ve just bought a Ridley Crossbow. Have I done a good thing?

iain1775
    Free Member

Wasn’t £450 off eBay was it?
    If so gggrrrrr you outbid me!
    Yes you did right thing it was a tidy looking bike

monksie
    Free Member

Not guilty Ian. That one is (or was if it’s gone) too big for me. There’s a nice Specialized Tricross on there as well.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Just saw this thread.

I have a Genesis Vapour X. I bought it from RealCycles for just shy of £900. Very good bike and love the versatility!

monksie
    Free Member

Arse! My purchase fell through. I was on the way to collect it and it was sold to somebody else for £20 more than I was paying.
    If anybody has anything for sale?…….

crazy-legs

Bad luck Steve.
    How tall are you/what size bike do you need? I might know of something…

monksie
    Free Member

Hi James
    I’m 5’9″. Anything considered really although after driving to Durham this morning, something local and on a quickly shrinking budget would be nice.
    Thanks

Houns
    monksie
    Free Member

The Boardman looks nice. I might go and have a look.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 KONA Jake The Snake 💡

i have a 2009 model and love it – the Kona geometry of longer top tubes suits my short arse legs (49cm frame = 53cm top tube), instead of the classic 49cm tt / 49cm etc frame most offer

2011 JTS with tapered headtubes can be found on google shopping / ebay for £1000 and some 2010 models knocking about plus the usual ebay 2nds

currently changing mine from SS into a geared version

2011 =

monksie
    Free Member

That looks very nice qwerty

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What Cyclocross Bike?’ is closed to new replies.