Home Forums Bike Forum What Bougie Bars?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What Bougie Bars?
  • abingham

I’m fresh off the back of a 12h race where the only real issues I had was with my wrists, so on the hunt for some nice bars with a bit more sweep than my current set.

On there at the moment is an Enve RSR. Very nice bar, but with more endurance stuff in the not-too-distant future, I’m looking for suggestions for some lightweight (carbon or Ti), somewhere from 12 to 20 degrees, around 760mm wide, and similarly bougie. The bike is a bit of a money-no-object build so the bars need to suit the rest of it!

Currenty looking at some Mone Light Bars as an option for context…what else should I be looking at?

james-rennie

Bougie? new word for me.

Boogie? Bijou?

abingham

A bit disparaging perhaps, but:

belonging to or typical of the middle class (= a social group between the very rich and the poor), especially in giving a lot of importance to money, education, and social class, or in liking and wanting expensive and unusual things

Oat milk, soy milk, almond milk – bougie people like any “milk” that doesn’t actually come from a cow.
    Doing an unpaid internship is kind of bougie because it means, hey, I can afford to work for no money!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/bougie

seriousrikk

I do quite like the SQLab 30x which come in 12 & 16 degrees.

finbar
    Free Member

It’s an American bastardisation of bourgeois. Too complicated for them, like aluminium ;-)

bedmaker

I really, really love my Whisky Milhouse bars on my Geometron.  Just perfectly sweepy, bit of height, reassuringly expensive.

As a bonus, a BMX pad could potentially be added.

honourablegeorge

SQLab do some bars with lots of sweep

matt_outandabout

Op, is that you?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nah, ^ that’s Mrs midlifecrashes homing in on a BMXer

abingham

@matt_outandabout only if the bike is a Rivendell, and ‘reassuringly expensive’ ;)

midlifecrashes

Uncanny likeness that pic!

List of Comfort MTB Handlebars (Alt Bars)

Some more options in this list.

matt_outandabout

only if the bike is a Rivendell, and ‘reassuringly expensive’ ;)

Style costs.
    ?

tomhoward

Currenty looking at some Mone Light Bars

they were my first thought, if not then Beast or Tune, or if Ti then a custom Ti set from GroundUpSpeedShop (on instagram)

Del

syntace vector, or their carbon analogues?

reeksy

Too complicated for them, like aluminium ;-)

Sadly, it was called aluminum before it was called aluminium (and alumium first apparently). None of which are carbon or ti (and definitely not titanum ;) )

I like a 12 degree SQLab too.

avdave2

I’d love Ritchey to make a carbon Kyote bar, as I recall it’s 27 degree sweep and I really like my alloy ones.

One thing I think about adding to any bar you do get are Ergon grips. I found they really improved wrist comfort on the bike

abingham

@tomhoward Beasts look really good, but not enough sweep, Tune definitely would hit the spot though. Anything sold on Instagram is not bougie ;)

@avdave2
    Good point on the Ergons – might make the difference! Am on ESI Extra Chunkies at the moment and have been for years so probably worth trying a change there.

tomhoward

Anything sold on Instagram is not bougie

Even an independent, artisan, ti welder making custom parts?

https://www.instagram.com/groundupspeedshop?igsh=NWI2Z2FzZHFkZmt1

@fahzure
    has a set, really likes ‘em

abingham

Artisanal you say?!

Real reason is that I don’t have Instagram and don’t want to create an account and give data to Meta for the sake of some bars. If @fahzure wants to sell me their current pair though, I’m all ears!

stanley

Surely you don’t want a cross-brace like those Mone’s have?   Adds weight and reduces comfort ime.

Those Tune Turnstange Lowriser’s look good but not much backsweep and maybe a bit narrow. Think I’m looking at some carbon Sqlab 311 FL-X ‘bars in a 12 degree backsweep. Have a set of their 30X in aluminium (16 degrees) and like them.

Also looking for fast, comfortable and light ‘bars for my Epic 8 :-)

stanley

Any advances on this thread?

Still looking for ‘bar options for the Epic.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.