Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 868 total)
  • What book (s) are you reading now ?
  • ElShalimo

Just got this in the post. I’m looking forward to reading it later this week

roverpig

@Tom-B I’ve picked up Shuggie Bain in Tesco a few times. Sounds as though I should actually stick it in the trolley next time 🙂

Forgot to mention that I also read Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar which was mentioned earlier. It is very much a book about the life of Stalin. So it goes into great detail about who might have said what at a dinner party he was at then just glosses over the fact that so and so was shot and so were all his family, as Stalin wasn’t present. Great for getting an insight into the man and the events he was directly involved in but if you want to get a feel for what it was like living through the terror I think fiction does that better. For example, Gorky Park, Child 44, The Holy Thief and the other books in those series, plus Solzhenitsyn of course.

BillMC

Yep, Roverpig as I remember it (1992), the idiom changes with every ethnic group the accordion passes through. Damned clever stuff.

roverpig

Yes, she’s a talented writer for sure. Sometimes too clever for her own good maybe. I find all of her books are amazing at giving a real sense of place and time but there isn’t really that narrative thread that keeps you hooked. Accordion Crimes is really a collection of novellas that are linked. Not just by the accordion itself, but also by references to characters from other segments of the journey. But you can easily read any part on its own.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah definitely give Shuggie Bain a whirl. I think that he’s (Douglas Stewart) got a new book out in a few months too.

roverpig

Ok, will do. Thanks. Although I notice it’s now disappeared from the shelves of my local Tesco. Typical. I’ll just have to add it to the next World of Books order.

Tom-B
    Free Member

It’s on buy one get one half price in waterstones still. Some really good stuff in that offer.

gecko76

The Go-between by L. P. (not to be confused with J.R.) Hartley.

Been on the list for ages as ‘sounds vaguely interesting’ but it’s beautifully written and very aware, which is what it’s all about of course.

This thread is great. Life isn’t long enough. Also reading about six other books at the moment, including my uncle’s which is quite revealing.

BillMC

Just finished Alistair Moffatt’s Britain: A genetic tour and Daniel Finn’s book on the IRA
    Both incredibly well researched and expertly written. Blimey, now got to find something to match them.

redthunder
    Free Member

Just finished Spectre by Willaim Shatner
    Quite like the Star Trek books.
    4/5

Next
    “Expert judgment on markers to deter inadvertent human intrusion into the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant”

PS
    If anyone is interested you can download it here:
    https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1279277/

nuke proof

cb200
    Free Member

Book group next choice is Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake. Apparently it’s going to change my life.

funkrodent

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (of Sharpe fame). First of a trilogy placing the Arthurian legend at the period of Saxon invasions following Rome’s withdrawal.

I’ve read loads of his books and these are a cut above. In essence a well written, beautifully researched look at what the Arthurian legend might have originated from in terms of a real-life story. An excellent insight into life in post Roman Britain, the cold war between christianity and the old religion and what Arthur’s story might actually have been (there is some evidence that a British warlord called Arthur may have temporarily halted the on-going Saxon incursion).

A great read and quite educational too!

redthunder
    Free Member

TAken on a couple more.

Researching for a:

Major-General Nowell FitzUpton Sampson Way of the Royal Marine Light Infantry
    Suez 1882
    Battle of Tofrek

The White Nile by Alan Moorehead
    white nile

The Regiment by Christopher Nicole
    the regiment

Hoping for a Sharpe type here 🙂

pondo

Currently coming to the end of “The Moth and the Mountain”.

Was telling Mrs Pondo about this when it popped up a few days ago – bless her gentle, warm, loving soul, she bought it for me as a thank you for effectively doing a bit of housekeeping and being supportive as work is tough!

Corking read, fair races along – I badly want to buy a Gypsy Moth and fly to India… 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

look at what the Arthurian legend might have originated from in terms of a real-life story.

If you’re interested in this, check out ‘The Sword at Sunset’ by Rosemary Sutcliff.

cheese@4p

cb200 I found Entangled Life a fascinating read, maybe a little long winded for one topic.

Currently on with Breath by James Nestor. Another “life changer”, it might be that actually!

MoreCashThanDash

If you’re interested in this, check out ‘The Sword at Sunset’ by Rosemary Sutcliff.

Read a lot of her stuff when I was younger, might have a dabble.

Just finished “The Man Who Died Twice”, by Richard Osman. Was foisted on me by my parents who probably fancy being characters in it.

Surprisingly enjoyable crime romp, mainly light hearted but surprisingly poignant at times. Easy to bash through in an evening. Reminded me a lot of my dad’s Dick Francis novels I read as a teenager.

No doubt coming to a charity shop near you soon in large numbers!

nickc

there is some evidence that a British warlord called Arthur may have temporarily halted the on-going Saxon incursion).

I don’t want to derail the thread, but Arthur is definitely unhistorical. Enjoy the book, but understand it’s just as made up as Celebrity Ghost Trip.

After much prodding by my brother, I’ve read the fist of the Expanse. Fun, a bit trashy…what’s the male equivalent of chic-lit? bro-reads? lad-lit?

spacemonkey

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (of Sharpe fame). First of a trilogy placing the Arthurian legend at the period of Saxon invasions following Rome’s withdrawal.

I read the trilogy 20 years ago and it’s great. I don’t care how much of it is ‘unhistorical’. I also very much enjoyed Helen Hollick’s Harold the King around the same time.

Fast forward to now and currently I’m working through these on Audible:
    – The Korean War (Max Hastings)
    – The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie)
    – Dark Matter (Michelle Paver)

IdleJon

Book group next choice is Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake. Apparently it’s going to change my life.

I read it a few weeks ago after being mentioned on here. It’s very interesting, but describing it as life-changing is perhaps a little much. 😀

Tom-B
    Free Member

After my initial misgivings about Girl. Woman. Other and it’s lack of full stops and capitals, I have to say that it was absolutely fantastic. Incredibly well written, and tells a history of Britain that is incredibly interesting. It’s mainly different BAME experiences across the past 2 centuries in Britain, with a conclusion in present day. Touches on the internal struggles we all face throughout life, and although it covers mainly BAME and LGBTQ+ characters, it’s for me just a great humanist novel.

alice.hp
    Free Member

Hi to all. I’m new to the forum. As everyone just sharing the book I’m reading now.
    Inferno by Dan Brown. An exciting story.

somafunk

I gave my bro Merlin Sheldrake : Entangled Life For Xmas (I highly recommend) and he bought me Oliver Milman : The Insect Crisis which is also highly recommended.

A mate bought me Joe Sacco : Journalism and it’s a brutal read in places but his writing and understanding gives me hope for proper reporting

desperatebicycle

Me, a week ago:
    The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi… Been on my Kindle for 3 years

Now I know why, it was shit. Gave up half way through.
    Now reading the second of the Killing Eve books “No Tomorrow”. They’re a decent read

IdleJon

Alan Garner – Treacle Walker. Brilliant and utterly mystifying. I’m waiting until lunch time until I can finish off the last 20 pages or so. I’m not expecting to know what’s going on when I do.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve just finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Very good, very witty and thought provoking. There are obviously lots of comparisons etc with 1984, Huxley himself talked about it at length. For me, Brave New World is slightly less hard work, but I much preferred 1984. I didn’t really find Brave New World a book that I couldn’t put down.

Next up for me is Normal People by Sally Rooney I think. I’ve heard very good things about her writing.

swavis

Just finished Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman, it was pretty good although a bit contrived in places. Still good fun though.

On to Chickenhawk by Robert Mason just now, that definitely didn’t sound like much fun from where the author was sitting at times.

johndoh
    Free Member

Patrick Bishop – Fighter Boys. It’s really interesting reading about the introduction and subsequent development of Hurricanes and Spitfires at the beginning of WW2 and how they compared to their German counterparts (Me 109 and Me 110). Still on the part about Dunkirk and looking forward to the main event (Battle of Britain).

avdave2

I’ve just finished The Muse by Jessie Burton. It’s pretty good, not a standout read but enjoyable and I’d read her again.

jca

Pyramids by Pterry Pratchett…

…for perhaps the 8th time…

mashr

After enjoying Ready Player One as some fun and easy reading, I’m a quarter of the way through Ready Player Two. God it’s shit so far

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Johann Hari’s new book, Stolen Focus

somafunk

Johann Hari’s new book, Stolen Focus

Very apt title for his work

Poopscoop

@alice.hp
    Free Member
    Hi to all. I’m new to the forum. As everyone just sharing the book I’m reading now.
    Inferno by Dan Brown. An exciting story.

The miserable devil’s not even saying hi back. (They aren’t really.)

Welcome to the forum.👍

jon1973
    Free Member

Double post

jon1973
    Free Member

Working my way through the Harry Potter books at the moment. About halfway through number 4.

They’re all on Amazon Kindle Edition Unlimited, so I signed up for a 3 month trial for 99p. Bargain.

thepurist

The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. It’s a trilogy (now of 4 books!) originally written in Chinese and translated into English, covering the whole ‘alien life/first contact’ scenario but without bending the laws of physics too much with hyperspace or whatnot. Well, they are bent a bit. Actually quite a lot thinking about it. Anyhow I’m half way through the third book and

Spoiler:
    the aliens haven’t arrived yet.
    johnners
    Free Member

The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin

I’m half way through the first book and if it doesn’t pick up the pace soon I’ll be dropping it.
    In other news I picked up “Alanbrooke War Diaries” cheap on Kindle the other day. Riveting stuff so far!

thepurist

I’m half way through the first book and if it doesn’t pick up the pace soon I’ll be dropping it.

Yeah it does take a while. Assume you’re still in the whole weird video game/Red Coast base bit which does plod on. If you’re looking for a cliff hanger on every page it’s probably not the book for you 😀

johnners
    Free Member

Assume you’re still in the whole weird video game

Pretty much. Just when I thought things were moving on he’s joined some sort of self help group for game enthusiasts. I was interested to see how the Cultural Revolution stuff was handled but other than that there’s been little in it for me. Not my sort of thing I guess.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 868 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.