Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 868 total)
  • What book (s) are you reading now ?
  • pisco

One of a two-for-a-pound from a garage sale job. Stalker by John Stalker.

It looks so dull and dated but actually a really good non-fiction. He was a senior Manchester police officer tasked with investigating the trigger-happy RUC culture. Blatant obstruction to evidence from special branch and the most senior levels of the police frustrating his efforts at every step.

20231204_071828

BillMC

Just finished Sylvia Beach’s ‘Shakespeare and Company’, an account of her opening the bookshop in Paris and the struggle to publish Joyce’s ‘Ulysses’. Also Heminway’s ‘Death in the Afternoon’, a detailed description and analysis of bullfighting in the 20s and 30s arising from his early career as a sports journalist. Now returning to Danny Dorling’s ‘Shattered Britain’, a radical geographer’s account of how increased inequality has been brought about in the UK. I can only read so much of it in one go as it’s so close to the knuckle.

redthunder
    Free Member

Just started…

Flashman and the Mountain of Light.

Could (sounds) like fun 🙂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashman_and_the_Mountain_of_Light

simondbarnes

20231122_125104

Garry_Lager

Just finished Drive your plow over the bones of the dead by Olga Tokarczuk – pretty good, lighter work from a big hitter. She won the Nobel prize for lit a few years ago and has written some hefty tomes, but this one is very accessible – a murder mystery.

Have one called The Vorrh up next by Brian Catling – don’t know if anyone has read that here? Rated as a very original book by some so hoping it lives up to its reputation. Writer seems like an interesting man, a sculptor and artist who only started writing novels in his late 50s.

Also picked up the first book of the Prince of Nothing series by Scott Bakker. Mentioned all the time in connection with stuff like Malazan and the Black company books so thought I’d see what it’s about.

gordimhor

Thin Places by Kerri Ni Dochartaigh A book about personal problems, mental health, the recent history of Northern Ireland particularly Derry and the the redemptive power of nature. If you’re interested in the concept of thin places this book is for you

Kramer
    Free Member

Have one called The Vorrh up next by Brian Catling – don’t know if anyone has read that here? Rated as a very original book by some so hoping it lives up to its reputation. Writer seems like an interesting man, a sculptor and artist who only started writing novels in his late 50s.

I’ve read it, quite enjoyed it, have read the second one in the trilogy. It’s very dark fantasy.

Spin
    Free Member

Currently working my way slowly through The Collected Poems of George Mackay Brown. In fact I’m currently working through everything he ever wrote!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Have one called The Vorrh up next by Brian Catling – don’t know if anyone has read that here?

The whole trilogy is very good. His novella Hollow is exceptional – what would it be like to live in a Hieronymous Bosch world?

jimster01

Just started Life, Keith Richards, can’t believe he remembered so much of it. 

nicko74

redthunder
    Free Member
    Just started…

Flashman and the Mountain of Light.

Could (sounds) like fun 🙂

Flashman is pretty reliably good. I got the 12-book set on Kindle a few years back for something like £60, and it was great VFM.

Still working through the second Arkady Martine book here – A Reminiscence of Turkey or something. It’s excellent stuff, not dissimilar to Iain M Banks, in that it’s sci-fi about space and empires, but fun and funny with it. Really gripping.
    And for non-fiction I’m still with Jupiter’s Travels – Ted Simon’s book of riding a motorbike around the world in the 1970s.

desperatebicycle

The new Chuck Palahnuik, Not Forever, But for Now. I think that’s title, can’t even be bothered to check. What a letdown, after all his other brilliant books, I can’t wait for it to be over.
    So at the same time my Kindle reading is Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy). Funny, cos I found his last book a bit of a letdown too. Blood Meridian is awesome though.
    I need to find a new favourite author. 🙁

monkeyboyjc

Just started The Three Body Problem in prep for the new netflix series next year. Only a couple chapters in so far and it’s not what I expected.

nicko74

Oooh yes, The Three Body Problem has been on my to-read list for a couple of years now. Is it good?

Agreed on Cormac McCarthy. I started with the Road and then Blood Meridian and both are absolutely excellent. Then tried Suttree (couldn’t finish it), The Orchard Keeper (did finish it but it wasn’t great); now I’ve got the All The Pretty Horses trilogy on the shelf ready to read, and hoping it’s more like the first two I read

IHN

A couple of chapters into The Nanny State Made Me by Stuart Maconie, and it’s making me quite annoyed (with the subject matter, not the author)

However, Family Friendly Dog Training has just dropped through the door, and given this weekend’s addition to the IHN household, reading that is the most pressing need…

Spin
    Free Member

Agreed on Cormac McCarthy. I started with the Road and then Blood Meridian and both are absolutely excellent. Then tried Suttree (couldn’t finish it), The Orchard Keeper (did finish it but it wasn’t great); now I’ve got the All The Pretty Horses trilogy on the shelf ready to read, and hoping it’s more like the first two I read

Suttree was one of his earlier ones. I finished it but didn’t particularly enjoy it. I could see some of the elements of his later works but it was clear he wasn’t really in his stride at that point. AtPH is his magnum opus and for my money one of the great American novels.

Northwind

I thought 3 body was absolute shite tbf, but, I am in the minority I think. But definitely worth a try. People keep telling me the 3rd one is great though

desperatebicycle

All The Pretty Horses trilogy on the shelf ready to read

I loved that.
    No, it was just his last one – The Passenger that I didn’t like – didn’t bother with Stella Maris after that.

pondo

Arabs And Israelis, by Abdel Monem Said Aly, Shai Feldman and Khalil Shikaki. Not a comedy, but seems vitally important right now.

MoreCashThanDash

Backseat Rider by Laura Massey-Pugh, the stoker half of the couple that broke the round the world tandem record in 2022.

Great book, enough detail and anecdotes without it being too detailed. They are doing talks to promote the book – went to one at a nearby cycling club and liked it so much I’m arranging one for our club.

somafunk

I’m re-reading my copy of Palestine by Joe Sacco

Palestine – Joe Sacco

He also published Footnotes in Gaza which is another excellent read

nickc

I thought 3 body was absolute shite tbf, but, I am in the minority I think

nah, I’m with you, I didn’t rate it either. The concept sounds cool I guess but maybe the drama was lost in translation. Couldn’t wait to finish it, and haven’t bothered with the 2nd or 3rd books.

Keando

Stephen Donaldson – The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant – Against all things ending

First started reading these in the mid 80’s. The last book in the chronicles wasn’t printed until 2013.

Thought it about time I finished them off. Though it has been a struggle at times.

monkeyboyjc

Oooh yes, The Three Body Problem has been on my to-read list for a couple of years now. Is it good?

Even translated from the original Chinese it’s still very readable – but I’m only a couple chapters in so no idea where the story will go. There’s definitely quirks to the translation you can pick up on that aren’t perfect but it’s cirtainly interesting.

Netflix series come out in March and I wanted to read it before the TV adaptation so I bumped it up my to-read list.

Cletus

Lucy Worsley’s biography of Agatha Christie. Love many of Christie’s stories and have a big crush on Lucy so win-win.

beej

Just finished Red Notice, by an American financier who was one of the first big investors in Russia when they started selling all the state assets. Much more readable that I expected. Goes from a story of investment banking and hedge funds to one about corruption and revenge under Putin.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/22609522

Quite emotional at times too.

Now reading The Wolf, about the wolves of Yellowstone. It’s quite good, but a bit middle-ground between story telling and science. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/41750870

Have also read recently “Wool”, the first book in the Silo series. It was OK, but too many aspects of the plot broke the laws of physics and it got annoying. It’s set on a future earth too, so can’t “alternate universe” away the holes.

And Alex Dowsett’s autobiography, “Bloody Minded”. Recommended, different to the usual cyclist memoir due to his haemophilia.

jimster01

Stephen Donaldson – The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant – Against all things ending

Did the first 2 trilogies, tbh not in any great rush to reread them. 

nicko74

Red Notice is top notch, really fascinating and instructive stuff but gripping too

Garry_Lager

Did the first 2 trilogies, tbh not in any great rush to reread them

I’d like to see what they were like – he improved massively as a writer through his career afaik. The first books have some deep feels and ideas, but undermined with lurid bad writing and melodrama. What’s the verdict Keando?

Donaldson set the benchmark for the antihero in fantasy. Like you’ll really hate reading about this guy. Before Covenant it was all edgy emo kids like Elric. 

IdleJon

nah, I’m with you, I didn’t rate it either. The concept sounds cool I guess but maybe the drama was lost in translation. Couldn’t wait to finish it, and haven’t bothered with the 2nd or 3rd books.

Same here. I don’t necessarily think it was lost in translation, just not a great read.

No, it was just his last one – The Passenger that I didn’t like – didn’t bother with Stella Maris after that.

The Passenger kept me interested enough to read Stella Maris, which was awful. But that’s McCarthy – some books are utterly brilliant, some are grim. The Crossing is up there in my favourite books I’ve ever read, and I recently read and enjoyed Child Of God. (When you can show some sympathy for a rapist serial killer loner in the woods then you know the author is doing a good job. )

nickc

The first books have some deep feels and ideas, but undermined with lurid bad writing and melodrama.

There’s a name I’ve not heard in a while. I just remember my brother (coming down off a LOTR high) trying to tell me that the Covenant books were the next greatest things and reading the first one…All the while saying “what the ****” to my myself over and over…Doesn’t the first “chronicle” open with a rape? (I seem to remember) The past really is a different place.

z1ppy
    nickc

I managed book one, it was ok, tried book 2 and really couldn’t be bothered,

jimster01

Did the first 2 trilogies, tbh not in any great rush to reread them.

Scarred my childhood (got given it and all the follow up, regardless of my thoughts on them), total pish.. then thought trying his Sci-fi “gap” series might be ok.. man the guy is obsessed with rape. Though I really enjoyed his two short story books (mordant needs).

Not read anything of consequence lately, all a bit pap except for Martha Well’s latest murder bot, which is fine but too short for an “audiobook credit”. I did see I could have had the rest free now, within my account, but I’ve already gotten them…

Garry_Lager

There’s a name I’ve not heard in a while. I just remember my brother (coming down off a LOTR high) trying to tell me that the Covenant books were the next greatest things and reading the first one…All the while saying “what the ****” to my myself over and over…Doesn’t the first “chronicle” open with a rape? (I seem to remember) The past really is a different place.

The story is literally about a leper transported to a beautiful land who rapes the first person who is nice to him, then spends the rest of the books refusing to believe any of it is real and generally being a massive downer about it all. Followed up in the second trilogy with another main character who was even more of an energy vacuum on the page (Linden Avery).

BUT they sold millions and connected with a lot of people because basically he’s an original writer, with good ideas and powerful (if dislikeable) characters, writing when the whole genre was asphyxiating in the iron grip of formulaic Tolkein cloneware.

Weirdly bad feel for language – he couldn’t write a sentence without bolloxing it up with a clumsy adjective. Layer this on to the awkward premise of the books and a lot of people haven’t got the time for it, which is fair enough. But I’m pretty sure he improved a lot – I’ve read the Mordant’s Need books z1ppy mentioned and they’re solid, substantially better writing.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The Three Body Problem

First book was pretty good. Reasonably original concept kept it going. Worth a read. Not sure it will translate to tv very well.

Second, not so great. Never got into it.

Northwind

Three Body Problem spoilers…

Thing that killed me isn’t just that the bits in the game are bad- though they really are bad- it’s that so much of the novel is hung on that game and it makes no sense whatsoever. “OK so you have spent ages playing our terrible and boring VR game, for some reason. But now we unveil ourselves! It is all a genius strategy to recruit people into our pro-alien anti-human conspiracy! Join us!” And he goes, aye, sure and joins them and then instantly betrays them, and apparently nobody has ever said “um, excuse me? That’s really stupid, there’s nothing about the game that could possible identify people who might join you, let alone stream out the people who’d be absolutely against you and would instantly report this to the authorities. I’ve spent hundreds of hours playing Total War, it doesn’t mean I want to be a ****ing skaven. You people are idiots.” We spend like a quarter of the novel going through all that tedious crap and in the end it doesn’t even work. I wanted to throw it out the window at that point. It’s like recruiting for your ecoterrorist organisation using Final Fantasy 7.

thols2

nickc

Thing that killed me 

[more spoilers] Aliens are coming, but not so fast that I can’t get a couple of squeal books written first…The whole thing is a daft concept.[/spoilers]

teamslug
    Free Member

Currently ploughing through Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror and the Light, last book in Thomas Cromwell trilogy. I got through the other two ( Wolf Hall and Bring out the Bodies) in no time but I’m struggling to get into this one.

nickc

The story is literally about a leper transported to a beautiful land who rapes the first person who is nice to him

Yeah, as “introductions to the hero of this trilogy” its a tough sell..😃

writing when the whole genre was asphyxiating in the iron grip of formulaic Tolkein cloneware.

A reluctant hero is forced to go on a quest/journey with a group of other folks to destroy a powerful baddie who lives in Mount Thunder (the next door address presumably) using a literal ring as a metaphor releasing lava which destroys the baddie…Yep, that’s a wildly different take.

IdleJon

BUT they sold millions and connected with a lot of people because basically he’s an original writer, with good ideas and powerful (if dislikeable) characters, writing when the whole genre was asphyxiating in the iron grip of formulaic Tolkein cloneware.

Published 1977-1983. I started reading them in 1984 when I worked as Xmas staff in a bookshop. We had the Fantasy/SF stand right next to the till, which meant I spent a lot of time planning my next read. I barely read anything away from that genre for the next few years, and might be wrong, but I don’t remember any sort of ‘iron grip of cloneware’ as you describe. I’m desperately trying to think of anything  – other than the Covenant novels – that could be described as ripping off Tolkien. Help me out – my brain is old and creaky! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 868 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.