Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What blind bearing puller for small (8mm ID) four bar linkages?
  • ganic
    Free Member

As about, anyone know where i can get a small blind bearing puller to do seat stay bearings on FSR bikes?

Thanks

Del

rawlbolt or similar. proper blind bearing pullers cost ££££

large418
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need one. In between the bearings is a threaded bar that the clamping bolts screw into. Screw a long M6 (or M8) bolt into this and tap it, and it should push the bearing out. Then do the same from the other side.

Do not wang it with a hammer. Tapping should be enough.

Reassemble with lots of grease to help waterproof the bearings from the inside

Stoner
    Free Member

rawlbolt

^ genius!

Del

ithankyou. 😛

kaesae
    Free Member

This works well if you don’t want to spend too much

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUOkEtQ8iSw[/video]

MadPierre

On a related subject I’ve got a blind bearing puller set but the collet for 8mm has bust. Anyone know where I can get a spare?

gt900uk
    Free Member

How well does the rawl bolt work?

singlespeedstu

How well does the rawl bolt work?

Very well.
    I used to use them for changing wheel/swingarm bearing on my MX bikes.
    Drop the bolt into the bearing, tighten it up and just tap the bearing out.

nuke

Like the idea of the Rawlbolt method but can’t seem to find a Rawlbolt with the correct width for an 8mm ID bearing, 12mm seems the smallest size. Anyone know if smaller are available?

z1ppy

Pierre I emailed the manufacturer (franklin) of mine, as mine came with a bent collet, but unfortunately the answer was not cheap (for me anyways):

Part No. 19762 15-19mm BEARING EXTRACTOR 913D cost price £ 29.75 + vat – carriage paid witin the U.K

EEK! I only paid £50 for the puller…

nuke

Yes – usually availbale in much smaller sizes

Hmmm, I should have looked at not just Rawlbolt – Loose Bolts as their hole diameters are 12mm min. Still got to be pretty narrow though and the bolt itself will probably have to be M6. Time for a trip to the local DIY store.

nuke

Del – Member
    rawlbolt or similar.

Excellent tip Del…worked a treat: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sooooo-hemlock-owners-any-tips-to-shift-these-bearings

cr500dom
    Free Member

You can also Hydraulic blind bearings out, great for small needle roller bearings like Crankshaft spigot bearings (Where the gearbox input shaft runs on a RWD car gearbox)

Pack the void and the centre bore of the bearing with grease.
    use a shaft in the centre of the bearing
    Tap shaft through bearing
    Shaft acts on grease
    Grease being non compressable, forces bearing out from behind ;o)
    No risk of damage that way either 😉
    HTH
    Dom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What blind bearing puller for small (8mm ID) four bar linkages?’ is closed to new replies.