Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • What bike thieves carry around with them
  • wwaswas

found on a single bloke during a stop and search;

they don’t muck about, do they.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scary….

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

he’s not single, . . . . there are two walkie talkies, . . someone somewhere loves him?

… probably his dealer

😯 that puncture is going to take some fixing…

interesting though…

thepurist

Assume that’s for just nicking badly locked up bikes in the open – can’t see anything that’d help gain entry to a shed/garage, or to defend themselves from a set of bombers.

Shows that all you can really do is make it look harder to steal than the next one in the rack.

nodrog2
    Free Member

There is a very interesting article and interview with an ex-bike thief in the latest issue of the BMX mag The Albion.

psling
    Free Member

Novel use of an inner tube to hang the croppers around the neck. Although I imagine that is someone equiped to steal from the street/station there is enough kit there to get into most sheds.

PS – what’s their marital status got to do with it..? 😆

brakes
    Free Member

the pipe cutter is one I’ve not seen before.
    what’s that used for? going through frames?
    he must have hidden his junior hacksaw somewhere a bit more intimate…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I really must upload a pic of how I disappointed a thief with my Abus Steel-O-Flex X-Plus

They managed to put through the plastic outer, and just slid off the inner jacket. Wish I’d seen their faces when it wasn’t a “Lock Shaped Object”.

BTW That was right at the main entrance to Bradford Uni, at about Lunchtime in a weekday 😯

thepurist

I guessed the pipe cutter is for getting through bike stand rails. It’s possibly easier cutting a thin walled galvanised tube than going through a decent lock, as long as they haven’t locked it through the wheels.

wwaswas

what’s their marital status got to do with it..?

I think he had a bolt cropper down the front of the trews accident falling over whilst running from the law.

Freester

Can’t believe he didn’t spend proper money on a decent lanyard for the bolt croppers.

Northwind

Fine example there of how poor most locks are- little boltcutters and cable cutters will go through most. What are the green things, tin snips? Garden seccateurs?

I assume the pipecutter is for cutting racks and street furniture, it’d not make much sense for frames, hacksaw would be faster.

He could probably get my commuter with that kit. Maybe not, our racks are cheap steel so not that strong but will be fairly thick, might be too much for the pipecutter. None of those tools will go through a good lock though (and I mean a good one, not just an expensive one)

phinbob

For some reason the modestly cheapo combination lock on my wife’s bike jammed the other day, whilst it was locked up outside school.

Hopped out to the hardware store and bought some small bolt cutters. One quick snip later and we were done. I think that there are only two kinds of locks worth having,

1) Super small, light lock that you can carry anywhere ‘just in case’. Won’t stop a bike thief, but will stop a casual scally from riding your bike away while you take a crap or whatever.

2) Big F-off lock for securing your commuter/transport bike.

Anything else in between is pretty much a waste of time.

funkrodent

Was in pub in Pecket Well (above Hebden Bridge) a couple of weeks ago enjoying a well earned pint (or two) after a morning of hard riding. Exited pub by front door, towards beer garden, just as car pulled up with bloke in front passenger seat wielding a pair of bolt-cutters. My bike was in the beer garden with my mate, but there were two carbon road bikes outside, locked up with cable locks. If they’d been 30 seconds earlier, or I’d been 30 seconds later, then those bikes would have been long gone. Just goes to show you can never be too careful. Never let your bike(s) out of your sight and always keep them in the house. A big dog helps too 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

most opportunist thieves nicking bikes off the street will target bikes that are easy to steal, and that means cable locks.
    not many carry around the tools capable of getting through a decent d-lock.
    even if you get a decent cable lock, thieves won’t know it’s a decent one and still have a crack. whereas even a crappy d-lock would be mostly avoided.

funkrodent

Never let your bike(s) out of your sight and always keep them in the house.

Obviously only applies to expensive mountain bikes. If you’re commuting etc then a decent D-Lock will usually suffice, unless you commute on an expensive mountain bike in which case an armed guard watching over your steed will probably do the job…

binners

Someone nearly …. Very nearly… Got through my big beefy cable lock, when I’d nipped into the bank. The bike was out of my sight for 2 minutes, tops! The only thing that could have done it was a wopping set of bolt croppers! This was at 9am in Piccadilly gardens in Manchester! I must have interrupted them as I came out of the bank

So, not only is someone tooled up and looking for bikes at that time in the morning, they’re quite happy to have a go with hundreds of people walking past! ****s!!!

TiRed

I think that there are only two kinds of locks worth having

Is my locking strategy too.

Home:

Cafe stop:

Work:

[None] – I work in a secure compound with an army of security guards 😉

EDIT:

when I’d nipped into the bank.

I take my bike with me into shops and the bank if I’m on the way to and from work. Only had a problem at a Tesco Express, and even then the guard held it for me. If you walk in with a bike, you will be surprised how few people challenge you. Off to the pub with mine now, and it will sit at the table next to me.

andrewh
    Free Member

BTW That was right at the main entrance to Bradford Uni, at about Lunchtime in a weekday

Amazed how few people will challenge this. There two guys trying to hacak saw through a lock on my campus (Reading) Broad daylight, loads of people walking passed. No one else said anything so I went over to see what they were doing.
    THey showed me a snapped key and the other half still in the lock so I let the carry on. I think they were honest, they were too much of a faff of it to be any good as theives.

project
    Free Member

Ive got all that stuff in my van, except the inner tube and walkie talkies

But then i fit security stuff.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

can’t see anything that’d help gain entry to a shed/garage

really? Those bolt croppers wont get thru a padlock hasp?

Wire cutters for cutting cables if all they can do is strip parts. The bolt cropper necklace has caught on round our way too.

Youre right about

Shows that all you can really do is make it look harder to steal than the next one in the rack.

though. I watched CCTV of scrotes working their way along bike racks, more often than not they find a bike that is totally unlocked. They’ll take that, then ride around town looking for a better bike to have away if the opportunity presents itself.

Caught a guy on a stolen Cannondale Bad Boy, as he was so stupid he rode straight to the the nearest 24hr petrol station to buy some fags 🙄 😆

thepurist

really? Those bolt croppers wont get thru a padlock hasp?

Doh. Should’ve said MY shed/garage. I’ve always taken a more rigorous approach to locks rather than trusting a padlock dangling on the door.

Coleman
    Free Member

wwaswas – will be ‘darn sarf’ soon wiv me readies, hope me steamer’s still cushtie!! 🙂

OCB
    Free Member

How would someone use the crimping tool (green handle) in this context?

I can imagine that the tape is to make them more ‘discrete’ / quiet as I doubt you can get tacticool PVD versions (from your local pound shop 😉 ) … but I can’t think how I’d use them for stealing bikes.

I do often think about how to steal [my] bikes, as this makes me more objective in how I secure them, following general ‘think-like-a-criminal’ advice from a crime-prevention officer ages ago.

dannyh
    Free Member

Apparently this guy’s an amateur. He hasn’t got a hand held battery powered angle grinder.

I am told this is the gold standard of scummery.

skooby39
    Free Member

How would someone use the crimping tool (green handle) in this context?

At a guess, cutting brake hoses etc to nick forks, or to cut the outer plastic part of cable locks?

pingu66
    Free Member

When they are caught no need for prison.They should have their tools or proceeds of their ill gotten gains shoved up their arses, that’ll stop the feckers.

hora
    Free Member

Err a Travellers Ford Transit can contain that and more..

Junkyard
    Free Member

err shall i use the race of your wife for my example? 🙄

all vehicles would have space for that [what with it being found on a person ]……and more.

A big sticker to cover up the small security sticker would make a good addition to that kit.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/those-pulse-id-tags-given-away-free-with-a-subscription

hora
    Free Member

I live in Manchester. At least three times a week I see travellers in my road/on a neighbours drive etc. Its a cul de sac so no ‘just passing through’.

I think Im talking from first hand experience.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Doh. Should’ve said MY shed/garage

fair enough – my garage is a daisy chain of D-locks and massive chains, I’m not complacent but it takes ME 5 minutes to get anything out of it!

epicyclo

Time for me to trot out the “All bikes weigh 50lbs rule” again…

It works like this:

A 20lbs bike is very desirable, so it needs a 30lbs lock, total weight 50lbs
    A 30lbs bike is desirable, so it needs a 20lbs lock, total weight 50lbs
    A 40lbs bike is is barely worth nicking, so it only needs a 10lbs lock, total weight 50lbs

A 50lbs bike? Nobody steals a 50lbs bike…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m not sure those cable locks, even the steel o flex ones, are any good.

I use one of these for quick stops in 140mm size
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MAGNUM-BIKE-13MM-SHACKLE-COIL-LOCK-COMBO-2-LENGTHS-AVAILABLE-LK3102-03-/310690174455

And A 16mm thick d lock for locking up the commuter

Lfgss locks that work is worth reading http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

I don’t think the above tools would get through a 16mm d lock.

Even a mains powered angle grinder takes a while to get through a d lock and you need to cut both sides of a good one.
    There’s a vid on YouTube somewhere I think

flippinheckler
    Free Member

The scumbag who nicked my bike used a hack saw as the pub CCTV showed, seems like they have batman belts with the appropriate tools for the job.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I really must upload a pic of how I disappointed a thief with my Abus Steel-O-Flex X-Plus

I have a cropped Steel-o-flex hanging on my kitchen radiator 👿 . Fortunately the back-up Kryptonite New York lock is still intact.

Oh, and I think the cropper necklace is a great idea . . . nice long inner tube and ooops! 😈

trailhound
    Free Member

Best pack a Kevlar vest if he comes round my way.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

?

Which one mamadirt?

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Hora – some of those travellers are pitched on the park between chorlton waterpark & the princess parkway at the mo if you want to pay them a visit!

Junkyard
    Free Member

At least three times a week I see travellers in my road/on a neighbours drive etc

Course you do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘What bike thieves carry around with them’ is closed to new replies.