Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • What bike for uk gravity enduro
  • MadPierre

(prob one of the smallest bikes there)

nah loads of 140mm bikes were on it (me included). Ibis, Orange 5, Zesty etc etc….

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There was a real mix of everything, some very quick guys even on HT’s.

What a weekend to forget for me. 15 seconds back on the seeding & riding like a nob on Sunday until I broke my bike. Still, I know what to expect for next year at least.

I need to get a lot fitter!

wrecker
    Free Member

nah loads of 140mm bikes were on it (me included). Ibis, Orange 5, Zesty etc etc….

ASR5 is smaller than 140mm though isn’t it?
    Box still doing his stuff on the 29er I see…… 😀

MadPierre

ASR5 is smaller than 140mm though isn’t it?

ah yeah it’s 127mm. thought it was 140. sorry

andeh

Anyone got any idea if they publish the hardtail results? I want to attempt to console myself after a generally poor show overall 🙄

MadPierre

Put my few snaps here too: http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/photos/races-events/uk-gravity-enduro-2012-dyfi.html

Off to the Docs later… smashed my foot off a stump (or something?) near start of stage 4 and it hurt like hell! Finished the race tho. Now all swollen and purple and that… 🙁

Anyone know how the vet is that stacked it big time on the second drop in seeding? Looked nasty and proper put me off as I waited on the start line!

DavidM
    Free Member

It was another awesome weekend. I know it has been said a lot but it is an awesome bike race. I was on a 120mm ’06 Stumpy but a guy on an NRS took the Oldest/Smallest bike crown, he was flying as well. All the stages where great IMO, although stage 5 takes the biscuit. I haven’t ridden 20 ft wide grass tracks since I was ten. Stage 4 drop in was greatly improved by someone about three places before me blowing through the tiny little catch berm at the bottom. Such fun riding overall. The injured guy was camped next to us, he did his collarbone and a rib, not too bad considering how bad the crash looked

markhw
    Free Member

I crashed at the top of stage 5 on Friday and fractured two ribs, went out Saturday morning rode stage one but in to much pain, gutted, my riding buddies did well Joe Buck 1st in under 18’s Chris Keeble-Smith 2nd in seniors and Matt Snelling 7th in seniors. Looking forward to next year

kimbers

looks like there may be some timing issues- i think they forgot to add on the seeding run to the overall, which sucks as my already poor showing is about to get worse!

kimbers

balls! just when i was getting into it!

“It is with much thought and sadness that I have to inform you, I will not be organising UK Gravity Enduro in 2013.
    There are several reasons, issues with title sponsor not paying their bill, horrendous timing at all but one round and my own personal situation.
    I would like to thank all the sponsors and helpers from the past two fantastic years, but most of all the riders for believing in the series and putting it right up there with the best.
    The format of proper “Enduro” in the UK is now moving nicely, with quite a few races and mini series in the pipeline, plus BC involvement, I look forward to seeing it grow even bigger than XC and DH in years to come.
    I apologise to anyone effected by the issues with the series”]

chakaping
    Free Member

The BDS organisers are doing a series next year Kimbers.

Surprising news about Parr pulling out though. Overheard the gossip about the sponsor while at one of the races – sad to hear it has contributed to the demise of the series.

kimbers

well wont be using fetish bikes then!

Northwind

That’s very poor- was a wee bit surprised that they were a big enough hitter to be main sponsors, perhaps they weren’t.

Timing issues though, that’s not a shock to anyone, and it’s something Steve made a lot of noise about right from day one- it was going to be state of the art, flawless, and expensive, and was one of the justifications for the event cost. They staked a lot on it… But it went wrong more than right it seems 🙁 Sometimes simple is better.

A damn shame though, it’s been a huge boost for the sport and Steve’s one of the few people that could make it work. Hope someone can fill his very large shoes.

In the meantime- innerleithen winter enduro series just announced for the start of next year…

chiefgrooveguru

That’s a shame, was thinking about it for next year. It strikes me that running a gravity enduro format race is an organisational nightmare as the Enduro1 series has been pretty messy too (though I greatly enjoyed both rounds).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It turned out that I was meant to be on the podium in the end (3rd overall in the U18s) but it wasn’t Steve’s fault I’m really sorry that it came to this for him. Everything was great about the series other than Race Timings. 🙁

Never touch Race Timing Systems or Fetish Bike Company with a very long, especially pointy stick. Fetish have also screwed around one of the MTB holiday operators in the Alp too. Companies that screw people around like that should be avoided.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Fetish also screwed around a number of Elite DH racers on ‘deals’ this year. Seems like they are rapidly gaining a poor reputation.

It’s a shame this has happened though. There really needs to be a more robust system in place, rather than people with phones, stopwatches & timers. I don’t believe timing should be the issue it is, there are never issues with the Super Enduro series in Europe, and they are a third of the entry fee.

It would be great if someone could grasp this format of racing and make it into a series that works, as it attracts such a diverse spectrum of riders it has the potential to be a very big series.

Northwind

FWIW, the simpler contact tag-in timing systems are proved reliable… I know some folks (Steve included I think) don’t consider them to be professional or smooth enough for top-end competition but, well, they work.

I’ve never done an event using noncontact timing that didn’t also have a manual backup.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Really do hope someone starts up a series next year, i did coed-y-brenin which I hated-and not because of the weather, Eastridge which was amazing fun, and Dyfi which was perfect – a good length, stages that made you grin from ear to ear, even the pedally bits you could understand as they linked up cracking sections.
    Came 26th in seniors but after somehow sneaking 4th in seniors on stage 3 and a 17th on stage 5 I’ve realised how much my fitness is holding me back on the other stages. Winter training time…

Brown
    Free Member

Real shame Steve’s had to sack it off. Best races I’ve ever done.

Anyone got any idea if they publish the hardtail results? I want to attempt to console myself after a generally poor show overall

I think the quickest hardtail was a bit under 19.30 (although 2nd place on 19.40 would have been way quicker if it wasn’t for a warp speed crash on the whoops in stage 4!).They don’t tend to publish hardtail results, although Dan from Stanton did at Eastridge.

chakaping
    Free Member

Really do hope someone starts up a series next year

As I said, the BDS people have already announced one.

And yeah, despite all the timing problems and the sometimes loose organisation the few that I’ve done have all been great fun.

MadPierre

My blog of the weekend: http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/news/53-race-reports-a-results/429-2012-fetish-bike-gravity-enduro-series-round-5-dyfi-forest.html

Any info (web site?) on the whats and wheres of the proposed BDS one next year?

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually their FB now suggests it might not be a full series…

“As some of you may have seen 2months ago that i’ll be running selective Enduro races early next year. Expect all the bellls and whistles you see at the Halo BDS, Tag Heuer Timing, big sponsors, prize money and media coverage. Hold fire for the full announcement soon..”

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Good news!

I’m a bit shocked at peoples response didn’t realise you all loved it that much. After reading the comments have sent a couple of messages out, good news may follow. I will not be the organiser though, but may advise so i get to race and develop my companies brands

That was Steve Parr on the UK Gravity Enduro FB page.

hels
    Free Member

It’s a shame the series had the timing problems, Steve has put so much work into it, and built a good solid interest among riders in the discipline. Seems sad that he won’t directly reap the benefit, but other organisers will.

I have confess was a bit disappointed when BDS announced an Enduro series, there isn’t room for two national series, seemed a bit unsporting and inevitable that one would fail, so in some ways better this way.

We are running a winter series of Enduros at Innerleithen (have been running them since before the Gravity series – before anyone calls me a vulture) in 2013.

I am sure there will be others !!

And well done Steve, if you do give it up, and it sounds like your arm is being twisted, you leave behind a good legacy for Enduro in the UK.

P.S and frack – Fetish owe me £66 for race entries. Guess that’s gone…

legend
    Free Member

Hels, you now have the UK’s premier Enduro Series – don’t let Steve make them all day/night 😉

hels
    Free Member

Whaddaya mean ? The day/night looked awesome fun. But I think they will all be standard ones in our unique Innerleithen style. I like to think of it as simple but effective.

Northwind

The day/night was maybe the best event I’ve ever done… Absolutely ridiculous and therefore brilliant. You know it’s been a good night when you break your hand and you’re not that fussed.

legend
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, happy to have one or two day/nights but would like at least one in daylight and I know Mr Deas is very keen on his night racing endeavours!

Northwind

There’s a night downhill race coming up. That sounds like an even better stupider idea :mrgreen:

hels
    Free Member

Yep, Full Beam Day Night Downhill 3 November. Entries open soon, just waiting on BC wheels to turn.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Northwind,did you break it at the first Inners day/night?

Northwind

Aye, on stage 3 (on the wee muddy climb!) Still beat my mate though, with added injury bragging rights :mrgreen:

legend
    Free Member

I should probably start shopping for some extra lights around now…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

We’re in luck again! 😀

I have been completely overwhelmed by the responses of support and good will, I’m humbled by it to be honest.
    The UK Gravity Enduro series, the 1st and only that has the right to the name, will be back in 2013, bigger better and stronger.
    Get training you have been warned 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘What bike for uk gravity enduro’ is closed to new replies.