Home Forums Chat Forum What bicycle grease for…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What bicycle grease for…
  • leffeboy

a jukebox

I’m trying to get an old Seeburg jukebox going for a friend which at the moment mainly involves a lot of stripping and cleaning of the mechanism.  Most of the relubrication is with a light oil which I’ve done but there are a few gears that need something a bit heavier and ideally something that doesn’t dry out and go hard as that is the real problem with these things.  There is a worm gear that is used to drive the mechanics that load the record on the play position and I don’t know if that nees something special

Anyone any ideas of a bike grease that might be appropriate?  I know nothing about greases and I suspect almost anything that isn’t too light would be ok (so not fork grease for example) but I’m willing to guess there are people on here who know a lot more than me.  This one part that it will go on for example (it looks a lot cleaner now).  The gear at the bottom drives it along a rack and the worm gear loads the record.  The middle yoke that selects between drive and transfer will also need some grease I imagine

IMG_20240614_125513476

all suggestions welcome

wheelsonfire1

Molybdenum disulphide? Used for vehicle CV joints but I’ve used it very successfully in bearings, headsets, lawnmower drive gears etc. It doesn’t appear to absorb water or attract dust, the only disadvantage is that I’ve only found it on sale in large tubs! Ask a garage?

leffeboy

Thanks, I think it’s also available in smaller tubes and reading up on it it does seem suitable.

chipster

We got some of this at work, I was a bit dubious about it when it arrived, but it seems OK. Also available in toobs.

Granville 0168A 500g CV Grease https://amzn.eu/d/j5GZEmU

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any Level 42 on it? 😁

No clue re grease sorry

Kramer
    Free Member

Vaseline?

leffeboy

Vaseline?

Don’t know.  Almost all of the lubrication is a light oil apart from a couple of gears which sees slightly higher levels of force.  I think the moly grease is a good idea although it might be a bit messy so I’ll need to be sparing with It   It needs to be something that won’t go hard and won’t be squished out under pressure.

mattyfez

Some sort of Moly grease as above would be fine I think, or whatever you have laying around for greasing your bike wheel hubs.

I’m guessing its not a ‘hard working’ part in the sense soemthing like a wheel hub or CV joint is, so you just need something that won’t dry out and remains stuck to the gear.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

I’d use mobile xhp222 but then I have a tube in the garage.  overkill from a corrosion point of view but it’s designed for gears and bearings

mattyfez

I’d use mobile xhp222 but then I have a tube in the garage.

Same, as I already have some in the garage…it’s probably total overkill for this application, but it should last ‘forever’ and it’s hardly any more expensive than a tub/tube of ‘mystery grease’.

Superb resistance to water washout and spray-off Helps assure proper lubrication and protection even in the most severe water exposure
    conditions
    Highly adhesive and cohesive structure Excellent grease tenacity, helps reduce leakage and extend re-lubrication intervals for reduced
    maintenance requirements
    Excellent rust and corrosion resistance Protection of lubricated parts even in hostile aqueous environments
    Very good resistance to thermal, oxidative and
    structural degradation at high temperature
    Helps extend grease life and enhance bearing protection in high temperature applications
    helping to reduce maintenance and replacement costs
    Very good anti-wear and EP performance Reliable protection of lubricated equipment, even under conditions of high sliding with
    potential for extended equipment life and reduced unanticipated downtime
    Broad multi-purpose application Provides potential for inventory rationalization and reduced inventory costs

leffeboy

or whatever you have laying around for greasing your bike wheel hubs.

For hubs I just use a standard lithium based grease but that seems to not be recommended for some reason.  The original  stuff recommended in the service manuals is also the stuff that has gone hard so I think the moly type route is the one to go for and you can get small tubes/jars

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.