Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What BB spindle length for an Inbred Singlespeed?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

It’s probably a bit of a long shot but does anyone know what would be a good spindle length for setting up this frame for singlespeeding? I’ll be getting a conversion kit with several washers to allow me to adjust the rear cog position slightly but I want to make sure I can get perfect chain alignment.

It’ll be an Octalink BB (with hollowtech cranks) and the cheapest one I can find comes in 118mm or 126mm although if I go on CRC there are other length options.

Cheers.

Shackleton

I suspect 118mm is the one you need for a 50mm chain line on a “normal” frame. I’ve swapped mine from bike to bike and it seems to be OK!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks Shackleton. Did you need to experiment with spacers front and rear or did it line up nice first time? Also: Did you fit your front chainring in the conventional position or on the inside of the brackets?

davewalsh
    Free Member

The BB spindle length is dependent on the chainset, it’s nothing to do with the frame. In the past I’ve run a M442 chainset with a 113BB then an M521 chainset with a 126BB on the same frame with the same chainline.

What chainset are you using and have you looked it up in the shimano techdocs ?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks for that Dave. The cranks are M510 I’ll check the tech docs. I just realised that the chainring should be mounted on the inside too.

jonb
    Free Member

With a deore crankset I use 118 although i think it’s a bit long. I could run a slightly shorter one and have the rear sprocket more central.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK I found a tech document stating that I need a 113mm spindle for a 50mm chainline. So I’m assuming this will line up nice at the rear using a standard hub conversion kit? Thanks for your tips.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What BB spindle length for an Inbred Singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.