Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What are "cherished numbers" (w anchor plates) worth ?
  • I’ve been offered a free Land Rover.
    The registration number is RRX 245.
    What’s that likely to be worth to sell ?
    I can only find sites selling numbers, would I have to phone them up to get a price to buy ?
    I haven’t seen it yet, so I don’t know how much work it would take to get it MOTd. If I had some idea of what the reg. number was worth I could decide if it’s worth going to look at.

julianwilson
    Free Member

depends really. A mate has just registered his plate with a company. It would seem that very few traders/cherished plate comanies just buy the registration from you straight away. You give them the right to sell it for you (presumably at a far better price than they could afford to if they had to ‘own’ thousands of registrations until buyers come along for them) and then they promise to give you an agreed sum when they find a buyer for it. Said mate will have £1500 but only when someone wants to buy it from the dealer.

TheFlyingOx

It’s worth what someone’s willing to pay. Seriously. Some guy bought my perfect plate about 5 years ago for £3k, and now wants £30k. He doesn’t even have it on his car. I ain’t willing to pay £30k, and it’s VERY doubtful the plate would be suitable for anyone else, so I’ll just keep picking away at him until he suggests a sensible price.

A quick check on regtransfers suggests numbers similar to RRX 245 are worth around £2k. Contact them and ask if they’ll list it. It will then show up on their search pages, and someone can then offer to buy it. This appears to be what £30k boy has done above, anyway.

You give them the right to sell it for you…

I guessed it was something like that, they act more like an agent than a dealer. When I’ve looked in the past in Autotrader, I’ve noticed the same reg in several different adverts.

regtransfers have currently got RRX 22 for £5895. I don’t know what their cut is, but I reckon I could get a scrap Land Rover through an MOT for a lot less than that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What are "cherished numbers" (w anchor plates) worth ?’ is closed to new replies.