Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ‘What am I after?’ Cable outer cover type question – someone must know!
  • AB
    Free Member

My Trance has exposed gear cables running down the down tube and along one of the chain stays. Keen to avoid getting crap into them with all the mud about. I’ve seen some bikes whilst out riding that have what looks like cable outers that go between the cable stops – anyone point me in the direction of where to find them?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are you talking about full length outers all the way from the shifter to the mech, or something with a thinner length of tubing between the cable stops?

Avid make a cable set if it’s the latter you are after but they aren’t that good IME. Youd be better getting full length outers and cable tieing them to the frame.

timraven

I’ve run some called Black snake, which were very good, still going strong on my NRS after 2 years. I had trouble finding them again, so went for XTR which have seals either end and they have done a year in our delightful weather.

thomthumb
    Free Member

you need a three part cable set up inner, mid and outer. can’t remeber who makes it though.

it’s a fully sealed system but fit’s through normal guides.

HTH

glenp
    Free Member

Avid Flak Jackets and Gore gear cables both have thin sleeves to go around the exposed cable bits.

I have come to the conclusion that it is far easier and just as effective to just drop the cable outers from the stops every now and then and flush out with gt85. Even then I’m only talking every few months.

StirlingCrispin

Drill your cable stops and run full length outers.

Sorted.

DezB
    Free Member
    Olly
    Free Member

avids are supposed to be excellent if setup correctly
    personally, on my trance, ive gone with full length outer for the rear mech,
    because of the layout of the bike, it zips very tidly to the down tube, next to the brake line, through the brake clip holes, rather than around the whole downtube, and the rear triangle is black so a pair of small black zips quickly dissapears from view when the cable itself is routed inboard of the existing stops.

the top tube/front mech i jus run regular cable with outers between the stops only.
    due to the last stop being open to the elements ANYWAY, and being located where it is, its much easier to unhook it after everyride and flush it through, i had sealed outers for a while, but because of the crap coming off the rear wheel, they only lasted a few months.

molgrips
    Free Member

GORE RIDE-ON.

En-diddly-end of threa-deddly-ed.

Not only do they never need maintenance but they shift far better than normal cables the whole time, whilst not needing any maintenance. In fact, if you do oil them they go wrong.

Full length outers do still admit crud (got them on two bikes) and are a nightmare to clean when they do need it.

A mate had some Avid ones admittedly a while back, and any knock caused the pink sheath bit to crack and break, which buggered the whole system up.

Olly
    Free Member

but for the price of a set of those avid majiggys, you can change your full length, off the roll outers and inners approximatly 10 times….. (and being full length, its a 1 – 2 min job.

not that im saying they are better,
    take your pick, pay your money….

molgrips
    Free Member

you can change your full length, off the roll outers and inners approximatly 10 times…..

Yeah but full length cable runs are a pain to clean. And they do need it – at least, mine do.

Old-timer
    Free Member

You can get outer cable (sold by the metre as far as I remember) from Chain Reaction, get a few plastic ends and fit as much as you want. Dont forget, you will need a decent cable cutter.

stumpy01

If you decide you want to run full length outers, then CRC do some great cable guides that fit your hose guides so you don’t have to drill them. I use them for my rear brake hose as one of the guides has worn.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28123

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘‘What am I after?’ Cable outer cover type question – someone must know!’ is closed to new replies.