Home Forums Bike Forum What 700×40 gravel tires?

• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by PJay.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What 700×40 gravel tires?
  • krixmeister

Having irretrievably cut the rear tire that came with the bike (Bontrager GR1 Team Issue) – time for new tires. 

I’m mostly a mountain biker, so the gravel bike riding is smoother stuff – mostly Scottish forestry roads, with the odd bit of rougher stalking path or single track (where the cut happened in fact).

With usual caveats and debates – what tires are recommended by the hive mind?

scotroutes

Nanos

PJay
    Free Member

Not a personal recommendation, but if you can squeak in a 700×45, Banana Industries have some Continental Terra Trails at a ridiculous £16 each.

https://www.bananaindustries.co.uk/collections/tyres/products/continental-terra-trail-performance-tr-folding-gravel-tyre-700c

quentyn

I have some challenge gravel grinders on my bike and I’m very happy with them

scotroutes

tyres

matt_outandabout

I’ve some Nana’s. They seem comfy and work in claggier conditions.
    But I’m finding that my Comti Terra Hardpack stay on a lot. They’re noticeably faster, but noticeably less grippier. Which makes me laugh trying silly things and sliding lots.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just clicked that banana link (spin off from planet x?) and they have Terreno Dry for £25 each too.

munrobiker
    Free Member

GR1 Comps – they’re a lot tougher than the higher spec ones and only about £17 a tyre.

easily
    Free Member

Nanos +1

Great all-rounders. You won’t get much traction in wet mud or damp grass, but everywhere else they are good. Surprisingly quick on the road, and tough and long lasting.

13thfloormonk

Another vote for Terreno Dry, especially at £25 at Merlin or the link above. Not much they can’t do it seems.

krixmeister

Ta all; going for the Terrenao Dry’s.

And @scotroutes (who has been incredibly helpful over the years!) as an American in Scotland, they will always be tires for me.

scotroutes

:-)

Whisky or whiskey?

jodafett

Whisk(e)y covers all bases in the trade ?

jwildcard
    Free Member

Some good options here, does anyone know which version terreno dry the banana industries are selling, it just says Folding but there is a TNT version with 120tpi which i see Merlin are also doing? The terra trail look good too but if you can run a 45 as mentioned. Some crazy colour options from Panaracer too haha.

13thfloormonk

I’d be wary of that Banana Industries Terreno Dry, no mention of TNT (the grey tubeless sidewall) or Graphene 2.0 which is their fancy compound. Picture shows an all black sidewall too which might be the cheaper OEM version.

The original retail price of £49.99 suggests the TNT version though ..

aldo56
    Free Member

I use Pirelli’s Cinturato M for the exact conditions you describe – really like them. They also do more slick versions of the same for extra speed. Fairly good grip for singletrack but roll well on the road. Decent side wall strength for puncture protection.

pigyn
    Free Member

Have WTB fixed their tubeless fit again yet? It seemed to be people complained they were tight, so they made them less tight, and they became a pain to seat instead.

I switched to Hutchinson (or Pirelli, made by Hutchinson) – made in France for those who care, very easy to mount, very easy to seat with just a track pump. The compressor doesn’t get used much these days. Great puncture protection, and a range of tread patterns to suit what you want to do.

Caracal is very fast, Touareg is kind of all round sort of thing, Tundra is more aggressive but still fairly fast. They do come up a bit big, 40mm tyre can measure 42-43 quite easily.

Then there are the four or so tread patterns from Pirelli too if none of the Hutchinsons suit.

jwildcard
    Free Member

Cheers, its extra confusing as Vittoria do a folding tubeless version at 120tpi but also a TNT version which is apparently the better version, the TNT version seems to have been out longer and is expensive still whereas the tubeless version I’m sure is stil a nice tire is on offer it seems. The merlin version is tubeless, but not the TNT i think, maybe someone has purchased and can confirm thanks.

spyke85
    Free Member

Challenge Gravel Grinder or Getaway – sublime ride quality

13thfloormonk

The merlin version is tubeless, but not the TNT i think, maybe someone has purchased and can confirm thanks

I was only aware of the tan wall TLR and the grey walled TNT, I didn’t realise they did another tubeless variety.

The Merlin ones are the grey walled TNT, I received and fitted one last week.

I’m assuming they’re selling them off as Vittoria are introducing new models, the nearest equivalent appears to be the T50 which is a very slightly more aggressive Terreno Dry. Look forward to trying them out next year.

PJay
    Free Member

I’d be wary of that Banana Industries Terreno Dry, no mention of TNT (the grey tubeless sidewall)

Tanwall Vittorias are (or at least were) still tubeless but referred to as TLR (tubeless ready). I had a set of tan wall Terreno XC (Drys for mountain bikes), they were lighter but a real pain to seal. The TNT ones held air even without sealant.

On the Vittoria website the tan walls are referred to as Terreno Dry Lite. However, there is a cheap black walled version classed as an Adventure tyre (new since I last looked) but is described as a tubed tyre so presumably not tubeless.

Easy option though, just drop Banana Industries an email. I did this to confirm the the Terreno XCs I wanted to buy from them were TNT, I got a quick reply and they even sent me a photo.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.