Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What 29er hard tail ???
  • philth
    Free Member

I am looking for an XC oriented 29er for general XC trail riding and possibly an occasional race. I have test ridden the Trek Superfly AL Elite which fitted well and rode superbly. Really I am after any advice on this bike and also any suggestions on alternatives?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

How’s about a 2012 Cannobdale Flash Alloy 2? i’m sure one will be up on ebay later today 😉

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve had lots of different 29er’s but I always go back to my original Scandal. It might be a cheap/affordable frame but ones you have spec’ed it to your taste, I think you’ll love it.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

On One Scandal – love mine

steve_b77
    Free Member

FF29 or Winscar XC would get my vote

khani
    Free Member

If you want to stick with Trek look at the X-caliber as well, very similar but with Rebas instead of fox, £500 cheaper and takes a standard external bottom bracket instead of a press fit one,

roverpig

FF29 would fit the bill

parkesie
    Free Member

I recently got a cannondale f29 alloy 2 absolutely love it. Used for general Xc trail centres and races. Spec on paper comes up low against others if you ignor the lefty. But that’s the best bit of the bike the lefty and the frame area superb chassis upgrade the rear hub cassette and cranks when they wear out and it’ll be perfect in my opinion.

andycs

Scandal is a great bike, but for all day riding the Yeti Big Top is the winner.

philth
    Free Member

I was also considering a Cotic Solaris build but worried about the weight. Or maybe a Planet X Dirty Harry

Clink

I was also considering a Cotic Solaris build but worried about the weight.

Unless you are a serious racer it is a non-issue.

philth
    Free Member

Basically if its over 26lb it’s too heavy

Clink

You would easily get a Solaris under that, particularly with light wheels and if you ran 1×10?

cp

scandal or lurcher – both cheap and trail ready. I have a scandal and it works great.

dirty harry is more race than trail.

rexated
    Free Member

You would easily get a Solaris under that, particularly with light wheels and if you ran 1×10?

I’ve got on well with American Classic Race wheels…

Niner EMD or Air9 are worth a look if you’re after something lightish (3.8lb and 3.3lb respectively).

Clink

scandal or lurcher – both cheap and trail ready. I have a scandal and it works great.

dirty harry is more race than trail.

I know the Scandal works well and the DH in theory is race focussed but their geo is very similar – if anything the DH has more standover, shorter chainstay and a degree slacker ha – more trail than xc 😉

fandango
    Free Member

Riding a Superfly Al, and I have to agree to rides very well. I was looking at an X-Caliber but the Superfly came up at a good price and has the better frame. I quite fancy having a go on the FF29. What about a Spesh stumpy?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

China direct 😮

cp

parkesie
    Free Member

That carbon Chinese special looks the nuts.

fenred
    Free Member

If you want to stick with Trek look at the X-caliber as well, very similar but with Rebas instead of fox, £500 cheaper and takes a standard external bottom bracket instead of a press fit one,

What he said ^^ here’s my / khanis old 2008 Gary Fisher X-cal frame wearing Reba’s, rides lurvely 😀

Bazz

Depending on budget either a Scandal or DH, i’m poor(ish) and love my Scandal, best hardtail i’ve ever owned, my line manager is richer than I and has a Dirty Harry, lovely bike.

mccann.ben
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris here.
    No need to worry about the weight. I have 100mm bolt through Reba’s, full XT triple, sensible stuff like wide Salsa alu bar, thompson colalr and cuffs and proper rubber and was shocked and pleased to see it is under 26lbs. Bonkers.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Scott scale 29 carbon. Fast as.

v12jat
    Free Member

^^^ what he said!!

takisawa2

Niner SIR.9 for a nice ride when your not racing.
    Bit lighter than a Solaris too.

philth
    Free Member

OK…I have taken the plunge and ordered a Dirty Harry frame. Must admit I am still not certain as there are no impartial reviews out there. Will have to see what it is like in the flesh when it arrives.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Hard to look past the Lurcher or Chinese carbon ……..be carefully on the Scott carbons …seem to have lots of warranty claims regarding the bb30

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What 29er hard tail ???’ is closed to new replies.