• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by core.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What 29er frame?
  • core

Alu, to take 100mm tapered forks, 31.6mm seatpost, able to run 2×10.

Something with a bit more modern angles than my scandal, less of a perched on top machine, but still reasonably light, any ideas? New or used, large probably, I’m 6ft, 32″ leg.

crashrash

Are you desparate for Alu? Cotic Solaris 2 is great, light and steel. Bought one 3 months ago and it has been a revelation. Great fun, quick and way lighter than I thought it was going to be.

duckman

As said Solaris, or Orange Clockwork.

core

Not desperate for Alu, but carbon is out of budget and was looking to keep weight down as much as possible, Scandal with a fairly average build is 25.5lb with flat pedals on.

Mk2 solaris would have the slackness.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Salsa Mamasita…Billy’s have got a large for £250.

core

Not so keen on mamasita, press fit bb, front mech routing under bb, 27.2mm post……

mccraque

my Solaris isn’t that heavy. It’s got an average build (although 1×11) and am running it with plus sized wheels….still coming in at 27.5lbs

NormalMan

Solaris (I own a mk1) or Sherpa.

core

So, the only things on the horizon are Solaris (£500), Sherpa (£400) and El mariachi (£450).

All quite close geometry wise, bar the head angle on the el-mar being 71, compared with 67.5 on the sherpa and 68.5 on the solaris, all within £100 of each other. Solaris and Sherpa have some 853.

I was hoping to keep this bike fast despite the frame swap, just more capable descending and lose that on, rather than ‘in’ the bike feeling. Not many lighter options available without going titanium or 2nd hand mainstream by looks of it…….

I’m never likely to be under 13 to 13.5 stone at best, and unlikely to race XC competitively so I wonder if the frame weight is really that important, probably not.

But I do already have the 26″ soul as a steel hardtail, another steel frame would make them even more similar.

1st world problems.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I just bought a niner air 9 and it’s a good ride. Climbs very well and is close to your spec.

warns74
    Free Member

Commencal meta AM HT 29 – if you can find one. (Alu, light, 68deg HA, 31.6 seat tube.)

I bought an end of year sale bargain to use as a family bike (when the pound was worth something) and was completely blown away by what a fun bike it is. I’m planning to build it up with some decent bits from another bike now.

ads678

I was looking at the Dartmoor primal 29 the other day, look nice and only £165.

http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-primal-29—29-frame-7452-p.asp

oxym0r0n

Vgc condition mk1 Solaris for sale imminently…

core

Colour & size?

oxym0r0n

Blue and medium 😀

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Really love my Sherpa.

Not ridden the others, mentioned above but have two other 29ers (fs an ss rigid) and the Sherpa gets the, most use.

rico70

I have a Canyon Grand Canyon for sale at £765 at the moment. Size medium but I’m 5’11” and it’s spot on for me. See my post in the for sale section or PM me if you want any more details.

core

The Sherpa option is the most appealing, but my forks have quite a short steerer, I’m running one spacer under the stem at the moment, the stack height of the headtube and headset is 120mm total (hope external lower up). The headtube on the Sherpa is 120mm to start with so I’d need a semi integrated headset I guess to even stand a chance of it working….

ratherbeintobago

El Mar great but not light and 27.2 seat post.

core

I have got a Thomson Elite 27.2 in stock, but it would be nice to be more future proof and able to fit a wider range of droppers if I ever wanted to.

warns74
    Free Member

The Sherpa option is the most appealing

Thought you wanted alu?

splashdown
    Free Member

Scandal?

core

Well not many alu options have come forward, solaris is a bit pricey, el mar a bit heavy, dartmoor not quite what I’m after. Sherpa ticks most of the boxes, a little extra weight I could cope with, but not too much. In any case, the headtube’s too long for the steerer on my forks unfortunately.

Looks like I’ll have to try a few things on the scandal to see if I can get it to feel better.

wicki
    Free Member

How about a Trek/gary fischer frame they are often cheap on Ebaay and a cobia xcaliber superfly would tick your boxes i think.

core

Thoughts on FF29?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Slackset on the scandal worth a try?
    (asking as you’d be a guineapig for me then!)

core

Tapered fork so not an option…..

Clockwork’s are cheap, and look viable, but long headtube again, FF29 too similar to Scandal with 100mm fork I think.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What 29er frame?’ is closed to new replies.