Home Forums Bike Forum What 24 inch bike for a growing lad?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What 24 inch bike for a growing lad?
  • damascus
    Free Member

My little lad is 7 in January. He’s already nearly 130cm and he’s about to grow out of his 20 inch bike.

We’ve just done his first trail centre, 10 miles and I’d like something with more tyre tread etc rather than the hybrid bike he has now.

He’s tall for his age so I’m worried forks are un necessary weight. He’s not doing jumps or anything extreme.

I really like the rigid vitus so far or the cube acid.

Its currently £370 but it’s available from Evans and I try and avoid since Mike bought it.

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/vitus/kids-24-938151#colcode=93815102

What bike did you buy and was it any good? Any recommendations to lookout for?

If anyone has anything for sale that suits, let me know. Based in West Yorkshire but happy to pay postage.

Thanks

jamiemcf

With a 6 year old I’m watching the suggestions. Wish I’d bought one of the last Islabikes to store in the attic  before they went.

He currently has the 20+ Vitus and likes it. The chain runs a bawhair away from the side knobs of the tyres though.

nixie

Orbea mx 24 is a good option.

damascus
    Free Member

@jamiemcf what’s the tallest you can get away with on the 20 inch version?

How do they get on with the weight? I’m guessing the plus tyres add a lot compared to his hybrid.

jamiemcf

He gets on fine. 6 miles round Glentress last weekend. round the lower green, 3 laps of the singletrack section but we were limited by time. He’d go further I’m sure. I run the plus tyres softish which gives him plenty of comfort.

Not sure on size limit but I don’t think he’ll be on it by 8. He’s average sized.

Im thinking of the 24 for the attic

colp

It was years ago but I put my lad on a 26” wheel small Kona Howler (full suspension) but got some 24” wheels for it. It worked really well and meant he got a few years out of it.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

My 8 year old is a very tall 8. Currently at 148cm. He went onto a whyte 303 last year at aged 7. Such a positive difference in comparison to the frog 20” he was in. Just more room, more control and more confidence. The Vitus 24” look like good bikes. I was admiring one at Bwlch NyrA a couple of years back. Don’t sweat the suspension fork. Unnecessary weight. I only changed the handgrips for some slim specialized silicon foam ones for the boy on the Whyte and it’s been great.

Edit to add: the Whyte comes with 24×2.3” tyres. Plenty of volume to play with to take the bumps out.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ted James is selling the two bikes he built his kids as they’ve outgrown them:

goldfish24

Came here to say vitus 24+, based on having a 20+ here for my younger daughter, so I’m glad you’re looking out for one.

richardkennerley

Just adding the usual +1 for the vitus 24+ if you can find one. I’m not sure how they weigh up to the alternatives, but my daughter gets on ok and can manage trail centre distances ok.

Screenshot_20240731-192833

chestrockwell

We got my lad a Cube Acid with suss forks and hydraulic brakes this summer. He loves it and even though he’s slight has no trouble chucking it around.

Harry_the_Spider

Orbea mx 24 is a good option.

100% agree.

Great bike and you can sell it for as much as you paid for it.

I bought an Orange Zest from Pauls Cycles for my son when he turned 8 in July.  So far so good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.