Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Wet roots and relaxing …. How.
  • renton
    Free Member

Second ride out on my ebike today up a massively boggy wyre forest.

One thing I struggled with was roots.

I just can’t seem to relax and fell off twice getting thrown off when the bike hit some roots and slipped.

How do you deal with them ? Never had an issue before but I’m guessing the extra weight of the ebike it was different and i found it difficult.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Night rides.

Its amazing what you can ride when you don’t know its there.

Today i decked it on some wet timber… the decking outside the Glentress toilet block, I hate roots and now i hate all wood features.

DanW
    Free Member

Sometimes sh1t happens. I wouldn’t be too quick to have a crisis on the basis of one ride.

Normal things like try and take them at 90 degrees rather than parallel etc apply obviously. Momentum ahead of the roots and staying centred are your friend too. Maybe it is tempting to sit like a sack of spuds on the ebike and cruise/ pedal a bit nonchalantly into the roots?

One bit of advice I always remember from a Bryn Atkinson video was to ignore the slippery bits and focus on where you will have grip to regain control/ brake. It is kind of basic to not brake on slippery stuff like roots but it is very easily done and flipping the problem around to “where will I find grip and control” rather than “how do I avoid that slippery bit” is subtle but effective.

All a bit basic but maybe there is something helpful there?

docrobster
    Free Member

Cover the wet roots with leaves so you can’t see them. Then you won’t crash.

sillyoldman

Cover the wet roots with leaves so you can’t see them. Then you won’t crash.

Genius.

renton
    Free Member

😂😂

DezB
    Free Member

My way to negotiate wet routes was always to go quick and make the bike as light as possible. Not sure the unweighting is possible on a 40lb ebike 😂

renton
    Free Member

40lbs. And the rest. My bike is 26kg so 57lbs plus the weight of all the mud 😂

colournoise

90 degrees to the roots with the front wheel. Accept the back will slide all over the place. Get used to letting it as 90% of the time it will hook up again pretty quickly.

doomanic

Fast is better than slow. Stay off the brakes and let the suspension do it’s thing.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m serious. The most relaxed feeling ride down the beast of hope cross I’ve ever had was in the snow. Just enough to cover the pointy rocks but still show the shape of the trail, where the drops are. Not necessarily fastest but definitely smooth. Similarly I recently cleared a log drop I’ve always panic braked on because the leaves softened the edge visually somehow. Looked more like a roll than a drop.
    I think I’m saying get off the brakes!😂

Northwind

Does it have a massive, soft, sticky front tyre? If so, why not? It’s an ebike after all. Nothing really sticks on roots of course but bigger = more tyre not on root, or less time with all tyre on root. Spiky mud tyres likewise no better on the root itself but can find dirt sometimes. And lower pressures if possible will let it glom around the root more, again helps it find not-root but also can create a bit of mechanical grip just from conforming to the shape.

DezB
    Free Member

I did learn at QECP, which is (or used to be) wet root city. I learned on a 19lb rigid bike… 😊 It really is about putting as lttle weight down through the tyres as possible.. with the ebike, and it’s heft, I guess you’d have to use speed to get that effect.. Don’t fear the roots, fly across them.
    Don’t brake, steer and try to hit them as much at “right angle” as poss.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Which ebike did you get?

On the question, look further ahead, I bet you’re getting sucked into looking down at roots.

Always remember, the actual root only cover a wee bit of ground, there’s grip in terms of mud/whatever before and after it.

GolfChick
    Free Member

For starters where you went wrong was bothering to ride the Wyre Forest at this time of year! It’s awful in the winter and should be avoided at all costs!

sillyoldman

If the root section isn’t too long, use the first to pop off and clear them.

argee

As others say, knowledge is always good, so you can pick the line, know when they’re coming up and so on will be a good way of knowing how to attack them, yes hitting them perpendicular is always nice, but not always doable, sometimes you have to attack and jump them, or get the front unweighted to go over it and let the back slide a little on the root.

Reality is it’s just practice, wet roots take down everyone, there is no tyre or additional skill that’ll help if your front hits a wet root at speed, going fast might sound good, but having gone down recently going fast over a rooty section i have to say when you land sideways on roots, they hurt as much as landing on a rock!

renton
    Free Member

For starters where you went wrong was bothering to ride the Wyre Forest at this time of year! It’s awful in the winter and should be avoided at all costs!

Haha you are right GC. It was horrendous.

renton
    Free Member

The ebike I got was a 2021 Whyte E150s v1 29er.

It’s a tremendous bike and I’m over the moon with it.

The front tyre is a WTB Verdict 2.5.

I also need to get used to the lag in the power coming in. Spent quite a bit of time understeering into the trees 😂

renton
    Free Member

doomanic

Get a 2.6 Magic Mary on the front asap.

renton
    Free Member

Get a 2.6 Magic Mary on the front asap.

What would be the equivalent Maxxis tyre. Just put a DHR2 on the back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t match tyre brands, only fannies do that!

Mary 2.6 is superb.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2nd the point about looking where you think the grip will actually be.

There used to be a couple of trees on a trail nearby that had huge eroded balls of roots that made an S in the trail. You could either pick your way around it slowly or straight line it right over the top. Every time you hit it would send you sideways in all sorts of ways but as long as you kept thinking about the exit and what angle you wanted the bike at then it just sort of instinctively worked.

It’s not so much the “relax”, more the “don’t panic and overthink it” without being completely passive. If you hit a root mid-corner it’ll still send you into the undergrowth faster than you can blink.

GolfChick
    Free Member

And that’s coming from me who rode throughout winter a few years in a row with double marys on! Not only is it not fun for us but it wrecks the place because of the ground consistency and the sheer gloooooop! I generally switch to XC rides with kinver edge thrown in once winter comes.

Northwind

TBH as long as it’s the high grip the Verdict’s a beast already, I don’t think it’s the issue.

SHorty 2.5 maxxgrip though, is the answer to the actual question.

sillyoldman

Is there a EXO/EXO+ Maxxgrip Shorty? Only seen the DH version.

copa
    Free Member

This will be a problem with the bike.
    Get a better bike.

renton
    Free Member

This will be a problem with the bike.
    Get a better bike.

Bike is fine. Absolutely perfect in fact.

It’s my lack of riding and getting used to a heavier bike that’s the issue.

speedstar

Have to say rode the golfie today with a normal verdict having changed from a purple MM and it was incredibly sketchy in the slidey stuff. Have a verdict wet that I’ll be trying next. Normal verdict is going away for winter 😁

copa
    Free Member

getting used to a heavier bike that’s the issue.

You said it yourself. Buy another one – this one isn’t working for you.

renton
    Free Member

You said it yourself. Buy another one – this one isn’t working for you.

Please stop trying to derail the thread and turn in to another change bike thread.

This bike is perfectly fine. It’s me that needs to adjust.

DezB
    Free Member

Go for one about 30lb or lower 😁
    (sorry!)

renton
    Free Member

Have to say rode the golfie today with a normal verdict having changed from a purple MM and it was incredibly sketchy in the slidey stuff. Have a verdict wet that I’ll be trying next. Normal verdict is going away for winter

First bike I’ve had with WTB tyres and to be honest I’m not taken with them.

The verdict on mine is a 2.5 normal one not the wet model.

renton
    Free Member

To be fair I’ve always had issues with wet roots since I had a big off a few years back. Just can’t seem to relax over them now.

argee

To be honest i wouldn’t want to relax over them, i want to be wary of the dangers around, the fact is that hitting a wet root and coming off is a hard fall, you’re down quick and fast, they hurt more than most, respect them, go slow if you aren’t sure, add speed when you are, like everything else on a track or a ride, there are risks, you just have to work out what level of risk you want to take.

p.s, protection is always good as well, if it’s rooty falls then some type of padded short/pant is good, and as always knee/elbow pads, if you can’t stay upright, then try to minimise the damage!

chiefgrooveguru

Your tyres are good. And the Verdict should be better on roots that the Verdict Wet, just like cut spikes are better on roots and than full spikes. Bike is fine too – in fact I think ebike handle skittery wet root moments better than normal bikes because their mass wants to keep moving in a straight line.

Focus on what’s before the roots to set up right and then what’s after. If some are freaking you out, just walk them or tripod through. As long as you ride some successfully then you’ll get the skills back. From your other posts, you’ve not ridden much in recent times, and riding wet roots is bloody difficult. Keep doing it.

didnthurt

About hitting the roots at 90 degrees, this sometimes means riding diagonally across the trail, kind like zigzagging.

I’ve also recently discovered Specialized Ground Control tyres in 3.0″ width which are the best tyres on roots I’ve ever used.

brads
    Free Member

Today i decked it on some wet timber… the decking outside the Glentress toilet block, I hate roots and now i hate all wood features.

Don’t do that ! they have been trying for ages to stop folk riding on the decking. The one outside the cafe is almost destroyed and yet folk still ride on it, even abusing the cafe staff when asked not to.

Is the bike wash working yet ?

Anyhoo, I hate wet roots so am resigned to shutting my eyes and hoping for the other side.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Spot them before you hit them and lift the front wheel over the worst ones. Stay low and loose to deal with the back end movement.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Wet roots and relaxing …. How.’ is closed to new replies.