Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • We're all doomed
  • KT1973
    Free Member

According to this chap we are
    ….and he's been pretty accurate with his predictions in the past

Also,

Dmitry Orlov's 'Reinventing Collapse'

Just to cheer you up 😯

swollen
    Free Member

Scary stuff!!

rOcKeTdOg

where is Binners?

isn't dimitry Orlov that meercat chappie off of the telly?

psychle
    Free Member

so we should sell all our bikes now?

meehaja
    Free Member

most of my outdoor stuff is justified to the wife as it will be useful "when the war comes". This started as a joke, but over the last few years we've become increasingly adept at growing fruit and veg, foraging for food, building quality shelters and basic mechanics. I'm also a pretty handy plumber! When the zombie war starts, I'm running to the hills to grow leeks and live in a cave.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One day, we're all going to die. There's no avoiding it, I'm afraid…

pp: Binners

KT1973
    Free Member

psychle – Member
    so we should sell all our bikes now?

That's the one thing you should hang on to. You'll be able to escape to the highlands more quickly when the Chinese come!!!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

kt1973,

I agree that these predictions are at least within the range of possibilities.

In fact they might have a certain appeal to the Mad Max generation, but perhaps life will turn out to be less like a film.

There are plenty of ordinary people thinking about this kind of thing though. For example Transition Towns movement.

ddmonkey

The trouble with this kind of prediction at the moment is that the more you look into it the more likely it seems to be correct. And the longer it takes to arrive the more disasterous its going to be. I feel genuinely uneasy these days with my place in society and the institutions I depend upon to survive and support my family. Not sure what I can do about it without my wife thinking I've gone mad.

speaker2animals

You can be certain that if Dr Doom is predicting disaster, that he has a fiendish new plan for world domination up his (iron) sleeves.

The FF will sort him!

"It's clobberin time!"

kimbers

clubber
    Free Member

Where's Cressers when you need him?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Keep the bike, then you can become a 'messenger' delivering messages/information across the country either offroad or on the now unmaintained and so in a state of disrepair roads. Obviously you're main competition for this role will be people with horses. 😉

40mpg

Just dont break anything on the bike, or your next rear mech will be hand made from tin, fresh out o' ground

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I'm OK, I've remembered where I put my Lofty Wiseman "SAS Survival Handbook". Electric guitar strings make excellent snares!

KT1973
    Free Member

bikemonkey – Member
    I'm OK, I've remembered where I put my Lofty Wiseman "SAS Survival Handbook". Electric guitar strings make excellent snares!

I don't have an electric guitar!
    I have a harmonica. Perhaps I could throw it at some rabbits. They would need to be really close though. And have very slow reactions. And I may have to throw it at them several times to do any damage.

KT1973
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime – Member
    kt1973,

I agree that these predictions are at least within the range of possibilities.

In fact they might have a certain appeal to the Mad Max generation, but perhaps life will turn out to be less like a film.

There are plenty of ordinary people thinking about this kind of thing though. For example Transition Towns movement.

Thanks for link RPRT. I'll have to take some time to get a good look through that.
    I know that the doom mongers have been coming away with predictions like these for ages but this does seem pretty believable in light of recent events.
    I agree with you also ddmonkey and the more you think about it the more it drives you crazy. I think it's probably quite natural as a man to assume responsibility for his family and plan for the worst- what would the institutions (government) do? Martial Law? Then what?

ddmonkey

There's a certian ignorance is bliss element to this, but I'm past that so I think I'll work towards a retirement living on a yacht in New Zealand and see how I go! Sounds appealing no matter what happens! 8)

StuF

@Kimbers – 2nd pic – that's what happens to my sofa when I let the kids near it.

KT1973
    Free Member

StuF – Member

@Kimbers
    – 2nd pic – that's what happens to my sofa when I let the kids near it.

Yup, looks like it'll just be ol' Jeff Zelavansky and cockroaches left, come the apocalypse

DaRC_L

Old gear cables also make excellent snares – just remember to cover them in rabbit poo first…

iDave
    Free Member

my family own 300 acres of prime farmland in Ireland, which clearly would be a useful asset. If only it hadn't been given to my oldest brother – miserable, selfish shite that he is

Bunnyhop

We've got some old Anderson shelters buried under the garden. May have to dig the veggie patch up to get to them.

A chap I used to walk with, was an expert on survival. He explained that putting charcoal into a water butt would filter the water, making it safe to drink. Amazing what little snippets of info my brain stored, which may come in useful now.

May have to live off squirrel stew, there's a population explosion of them in our local woods.

ddmonkey

Lets face it there are now so many people around that if things do kick off there won't really be anywhere to run and the outcome is going to be pretty poor whatever you do. I don't think squirrel stew and rabbit snares are going to cut it as long term survival strategies I'm afraid….

A harmonica might be good for keeping your spirits up though? Anyone can play a harmonica!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘We're all doomed’ is closed to new replies.