Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wengen, Switzerland – who's been & what's it like?
  • Stripe
    Free Member

Off to Wengen for a spot of boarding soon – just want a little insight into what its like over there…..Whos been & was it good or bad??

flamejob
    Free Member

*listens

Phototim
    Free Member

I popped over there a couple of weeks ago. Considering the diabolical snow situation, (i.e. Wengen itself was green) they had done a good job of keeping the runs in good condition with man made snow. Only a few bare patches and icy bits (mainly on the blacks, red are good). We parked in Lauterbrunnen and took the train up through Wengen and skied/boarded the other side.

Since then however they have had some decent snowfall I think. I heard word that it was sweet weekend just gone. Actually that was from someone on here I think, perhaps they’ll be along for a better report…

Phototim
    Free Member

Was the question about the snow condition or the resort/area in general?

crispo
    Free Member

Ive ben going to Wengen for the last 8 years or so, so know the area fairly well. Personally im a big fan of the Jungfrau region. Great scenery, good amount of skiing/boarding and great places to eat and drink all over.

Its a different experience from your french resorts though. Lot more chilled out pace as the trains up and down mean its a little slower getting up to the top at Kleine Sheidegg. Not amazing for Apres however there are a few good bars in the town itself but I think theres only one night club (Blue Monkey) if thats what youre there for.

I was out there in January and the snow was hopeless (very warm and no snow) but i think its cooled down a bit and the snow has picked up lately so should be good. If you stick up high at Mannlichen or over the Valley at Murren you should be ok.

Thats kind of a brief overview but anything else specificly you wanna know just ask.

Stripe
    Free Member

Not so much the snow conditions – i know thats been poor, but they have had 20cm snow in the last 48 hrs.

Generally it was just about the area – the hotel is not great, but we figured that was the last thing on our minds considering it is the place we will spend the least amount of time!!

Any info on the best parts to ski, & the apres ski would be great (5 guys on a ski/beer break)!! 😆

Elspaniel
    Free Member

I was there two weeks ago, the snow survived until the dollop last week sorted things out. It’s true what others have said that it isn’t a centre for night life and the pace is chilled rather than hectic.

A nice way to end your day would be the run to Brandegg and get a few beers in the bar there before getting the train back over to Kleine Scheidegg and down to Wengen again. They’re every half hour or so.

Quickest way to the slopes is the Mannlichen cable-car and you’ve the aptly named Lager bar and others on that side of the slopes.

I noticed a bar in Wengen showing footie etc if you want that…another one looked a bit more cultured opposite the Hotel Silberhorn and there’s a club underneath the hotel too.

Enjoy.

Stripe
    Free Member

Thats brilliant – thanks fellas – dont really want a full on ‘beer’ week, been there, done that & the boarding suffers – just a cool place to chill after skiing & then again later in the evening.

Anyone done the World Cup downhill run there? Gotta be a must i think while we are there!! Or the restaurant right at the top of the mountain (upwards of the Eiger)?

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve done the world cup run – pretty dull as I recall – but I was an indifferent boarder thrn – doing 70 on a set of skis would probably make it mind boggling

Enjoyed the area and I liked the pace much more than say St Anton

crispo
    Free Member

In the town itself best places for a beer after a day on the slopes are the Sina Pub, 2-4-1 beers till 6 every evening, and crystal bar on the main street, both normally fairly lively.

There loads of restaurants/bars on the mountain itself. As mentioned the restaurant at Brandegg is really good, Apple fritters are a favourite post skiing treat there. Also recommend eating at the restaurant at the station at Kleine Sheidegg, if its clear you get incredible views and the food is great. Its also near the Tipi Bar (its the big tipi tent) which is good when the weather sets in.

Ive skiied the Lauberhorn world cup run. Its not overly challenging for a world cup run but the faster you go that hairier it gets! I took part in a race over in Murren (the other side of Lauterbrunnen from Wengen) but there is some good skiing and snow over there and the top of the Schilthorn is good for a stop. Its famous from James Bonds “On her majestys secret service” so worth a look.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wengen, Switzerland – who's been & what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.