Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Well that was terrifying: attacked by a buzzard whilst riding through the woods
  • big_scot_nanny

All I can think is: thank goodness I was going downhill!

In the twisties deep in the woods, popped off a we stump/log, and there was an almighty WHACK on the top of helmet. At first thought a branch must have fallen (been a bit windy here), then saw an effing great buzzard flapping away from me – must have come from behind

She then preceded to turn around in the canopy ahead, beady eyes fixed on me, and start back in a direct assault.

I’m not ashamed to admit I may have screamed, then put my head down and pedalled as fast as I could to get clear of the woods. Didn’t stop until I’d got back to the road, and finally allowed myself a look behind to make sure she was gone.

Flippin nora, never in my life etc etc

I assume there was young/buzzardlets about, has that happened to anyone else? I imagine it could have done a bit of damage if the opportunity arose?

big_scot_nanny

Just done a google – indeed, seems that runners are prime targets, glad I had me helmet on (tj 😉 )

fasthaggis

Was there a fox close by ?
    fox snatch

mikeyp

Sounds terrifying but also quite cool. In Aus/NZ the Australasian magpies do this when nesting. They are a common hazard and really dangerous if you get bombed on a road. Bloody hated them.

mashr

Nearly got my head taken off by an Osprey at Glentress…… was very cool

martinhutch

Was this your helmet?

fasthaggis

mikey.
    Funny,the Aussie magpies was the first thing I thought about when I read this.
    Maybe the OP needs to get a new helmet 😉
    magpie helmet

We got dive bombed by a mad parrot in Majorca. No idea why,there was a big group of us and it followed us for a while.

joemmo
    Free Member

a grouse ran into my front wheel once. I can’t say if this was an attack, an attempt to avoid death by shotgun or just a massive error on its part but it was a spectacular if somewhat gory way to go out.

franksinatra

This used to be quite common in Yair (Tweed Valley). So much so that I believe the trail is now called Buzzards Lair. I was swooped several times, my neighbour lost some flesh on the back of his head and a chunk of helmet. It was so common the buzzard featured on out MTB Borders shirts.

onehundredthidiot

Still have my MTB borders shirt with the buzzard.

Bez

spacemonkey

FIL was ‘attacked’ by a buzzard years ago. Now he may be a rather slight chap for sure, but he sure ain’t as small as a fox etc.

Mind you, he’s also had a cow ‘fall’ onto his parked car once. That was proper odd.

welshfarmer

Sunday morning in Wentwood I had 3 Mallards take flight from a puddle on the trail in front of me. Cool I thought as they flew off. 100 metres up the track and there is the most blood curdling duck squawking you have ever heard and Mrs Mallard comes tearing around a tree in front of me and literally drops like a stone into a large puddle about 10 yards from where I am…. immediately followed by a Goshawk! The dropping trick seemed to have worked as the Gos gave up (maybe it was me shouting at him for being a bully that put him off). Whatever, the duck survived to quack another day.

matt_outandabout

Just be glad we don’t have these in the UK.

big_scot_nanny

Pfft – my buzzard as waaaay bigger than that!

welshfarmer

timbog160

You clearly don’t know how to behave around buzzards…

matt_outandabout

You clearly don’t know how to behave around buzzards…

As quiet as a mouse?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Attacked by a lady amherst pheasant in AE a few years ago. Very surreal looking and really aggressive. Not as many pointy bits as a buzzard though.

Lionheart
    Free Member

On a flowing bit of single track through the woods nearing dusk I had an owl fly 5-10 feet either side of me for 400m. Cool moment!

big_scot_nanny

On a flowing bit of single track through the woods nearing dusk I had an owl fly 5-10 feet either side of me for 400m. Cool moment!

I’ve had that before with Swallows on the road past the farm on the way to our neighbourhood, glorious I agree.

However, neither the swallows nor your owl, had eyes on ripping up our flesh! 😆

legometeorology
    Free Member

Holy s**t, although I kind of envy you, assuming you have no lasting injuries or post traumatic stress. That’s a great story.

The closest I have is being chased by geese. I sometimes use the canal to get out of Leeds to the trails above Ilkley. A few months back I was chased by every goose I passed, hissing wildly at me.

I came along the canal for the first time since then a couple of weeks back (the long gap wasn’t because I was traumatized, it’s just boring and busy.) A goose went straight for me again as I swerved around it so, as I’ve been reading a book about self-deception I figured the thing would just trying to fool me, and if I actually faced up to it it’d realise it wasn’t going to scare me and I’m much bigger. So I turned round, ran at it, and soon realised it wasn’t going to stop running towards me. I turned and ran.

Basically I played chicken with a goose and the goose won.

[edit, I’m 34 for God’s sake]

colournoise

Had the owl thing happen in the local woods. Super cool thing to experience. Happens with deer running alongside quite often too.

dissonance

Had a buzzard drop some rabbit or pigeon on me a while back.
    Was going down a sunken lane and startled it whilst it was on the ground feeding. Took off with lunch but lost its grip and hence I wore it.
    You need to get yourself a couple of tame crows. Round here they routinely harass buzzards into a retreat.

ampthill

That sounds scary but cool

I had a swan attack me swimming. I swam past his fleet and they all looked grumpy. Large male heads over and matches pace just behind me. Evil eye ever time I look his way. Then he swims over and puts his foot in the middle of my back and pushes gown down as hard as he can. He then repeats this. At this point the misses must have shouts “Leave him it’s not worth it” and he swims off. I kept thinking he so much more at home in the water then me…

No damage done but I was scared

sarawak
    Free Member

Try going on the The Farne islands at this time of year. You will be advised to wear a very strong hat. The Artic Terns will attack anyone who comes near their nests, and the place is full of nests.

bob_summers

I was running a couple of months ago, singletrack up on a mountain sierra, noticed the stench of death wafting towards me on the breeze. Came over the brow of a hill and a few metres ahead lay the source of the stench, a wild pony carcass being feasted on by half a dozen of these, which I had evidently surprised. The sheer force of six 3m wingspans all launching at the same time was terrifying to see up close, they could have torn me to pieces.

Last winter on my late night bike commute through the back lanes, a jabalí (wild boar) crashed out of a hedge in front of me, and ran alongside for a while – I panicked and sped up, not wantng it to turn across me, wasn’t sure if it was chasing me or just as panicked as me, but I haven’t put that kind of wattage down since.

globalti
    Free Member

Quite a few dog walkers have had the backs of their heads raked by an eagle owl in the Brennand valley up behind Dunsop Bridge. I bet that smarts a bit.

raybanwomble
    Free Member
    mountainman

Had a Buzzard swoop on me from behind in a wooded section on a remote lane few years back , looked mighty scary seeing those talons go past my head at close quarters. Remote wild Wales.

Occasionally see one close up on a local lane now n again but never when i have the helmet camera on. south east Ireland now so see less which is a shame as in Wales saw loads of Red Kites too.

martinhutch

The closest I have is being chased by geese. I sometimes use the canal to get out of Leeds to the trails above Ilkley.

I’m just heading out for a ride that involves the LL canal. Will I die? 🙂

Northwind

Some idiot mountain biker out with his “trail raptor”.

whitestone
    Free Member

@martinhutch – the geese on the LL canal are bastards! Bastards the lot of them. This time of year used to be Goose Alley on my commute down to Shipley.

When I lived in North Wales one day I went checking crags for new routes on the Lleyn peninsula and got attacked by a couple of buzzards at one. Not fun.

A few years ago there was an Eagle Owl nesting near Dunsop Bridge that was so aggressive during nesting season they had to shut the nearby footpath.

Any of our Scots denizens been attacked by a Bonxie? Now they’re vicious!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I think the OPs been talon tales.

Thank you and goodnight.

tomparkin

I used to live in Saltaire and can confirm the liklihood of your impending doom @martinhutch.

I’ve seen more than one poor soul nearly end up in the drink due to a surprise attack from an apparently quiescent goose.

Stay at home, I should.

martinhutch

Well, I went out, and there was indeed an angry goose. It hissed at me, but inspired by Legometeorology, I charged it down and it fled, vanquished, into the gloaming.

The swans were pretty chilled out, though, which was nice.

niksnr
    Free Member

Yep, happens quite a lot here on Isle of Wight. They nest quite low for a bird of prey and will protect their young with vigour. I was attacked about 7 years ago where the nest was in a large hedgerow. Always keep an eye out now in that area.
    They’ve just announced the release of 2 pairs of White Tailed Eagles but in a ‘secret’ location. It’s certainly gonna make riding round here a bit more exciting! 😂

wilder
    Free Member

@dissonance I had a buzzard drop a rabbit on me too. It was picking at quite a big rabbit in the middle of the lane, when it saw me coming it tried to take off with it. It managed to get about 20ft up before letting go – the rabbit plopped into the undergrowth next to me.

niksnr
    Free Member

Apologies……it’s 30 pairs! 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Well that was terrifying: attacked by a buzzard whilst riding through the woods’ is closed to new replies.