Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Weight loss advice (on my bike)
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

After the recent light weight xc thread and what I believed to be a light bike. Perhaps my bike is 2-3lb off the mark.

Are there any easy wins? Note the only slx bit is the front mech and cassette, the rest is xt. It is already tubeless

Weight
    10,6kg / 23,35lbs
    Frame
    SCOTT Scale 29 Carbon
    IMP3 / HMF NET / Tapered Headtube
    160PM Disc / Carbon dropout
    PF BB92 / Replaceable hanger
    SDS Shock Damping System
    Fork
    FOX 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD Air
    CTD damper with 3 modes
    15mm QR axle / tapered steerer
    reb. Adj. / 100 mm travel
    Remote System
    SCOTT LRD suspension technologie
    lock – ride / platform – descend
    activate by Rideloc Remote Lever
    Lockout – Platform – 100mm
    Headset
    Ritchey Comp Plus Tapered 1.5″ – 1 1/8″
    semi integr. OD 50/61mm / ID 44/55mm
    Derailleur (Rear)
    Shimano XT RD-M786 SGS
    Shadow Plus Type / 30 Speed
    Derailleur (Front)
    Shimano SLX FC-M671 / 34.9mm
    Shifters
    Shimano SLX SL-M670
    Rapidfire plus / 2 way release
    w/gear indicator
    Brake Levers
    Shimano SLX BL-M675 Disc
    Brakes
    Shimano SLX BR-M675 Disc
    180/F and 160/R mm SM-RT66 IT Rotor
    Crankset
    Shimano XT FC-M780
    hollowtech 2
    42Ax32Ax24A T
    BB-Set
    Shimano SM-BB71-41A / shell 41×89.5mm
    Handlebar
    Syncros FL1.5 Tbar
    Alloy 7050 D.B. / T shape Flat / 9° / 700mm
    Syncros Pro lockon grips
    H’stem
    Syncros FL1.5
    7050 Alloy / oversize 31.8mm
    1-1/8″ / 6° angle
    Pedals
    Shimano PD-M520
    Clipless pedal
    Seatpost
    Syncros FL1.5 / 34.9mm
    Seat
    Syncros XR2.0 / CROM rails
    Hub (Front)
    Syncros XR 2.5 29 CL / 15mm
    made by DT Swiss
    Hub (Rear)
    Syncros XR 2.5 29 CL / RWS
    made by DT Swiss
    Chain
    Shimano CN-HG54
    Cassette
    Shimano CS-HG81-10
    11-36 T
    Spokes
    DT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mm
    Rims
    Syncros / DT Swiss XR 2.5 29
    32H
    Tires
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO
    29 x 2.1 / 127EPI Kevlar Bead
    Tubeless ready / Pace star compound

njee20
    Free Member

100g in your grips, go for foam.

Saddle could be heavy, and finishing kit’s a bit of an unknown.

Wheels are probably carrying a bit of fat too, not a cheap win though. There’s nothing on there hugely heavy, but nothing hugely light either.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Easy?No.Accumulation of marginal gains.A little bit off everything.And it won’t be cheap.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Easy wins would be to get rid of a couple of chain rings and front mech and shifter. Also dump the front fender 🙂 Other than that it will be expensive marginal gains.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Go 1×10 ( ditching the mech, shifter, cable, granny and 4 bolts ), lighter saddle and lighter (carbon?) post, foam grips.i reckon you could see it sub 10kg with that little lot.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

+1 foam grips. 50 – 100g for about a tenner.

Swap pedals to Egg beaters or Look and save ~100g over Shimano M520?

Are the tyres run tubeless or are they just tubeless ready? Tubeless ready tyres are often a bit heavier than their non-tubeless version.

Bioflex carbon/ti saddles are ~200g and cost about £30 so thats quite good value if the stock one is heavy.

drapper
    Free Member

One question overlooked – how heavy are you?

ljs1977
    Free Member

@ drapper. This is the main point I’ve gone from 21st to 15. Carry a shed load of liquid and probably too many tools.

Just wondered if I was missing something? Apparently not. Sounds like I could spend a grand to loose 2lb but me and my pack can loose this during a ride after drinking / weeing!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy some dodgy scales, claim a weight and get on with life.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Smaller lighter rotors too if you are racing and concerned about weight. Can lose quite a bit by upgrading the chain too.

br
    Free Member

140mm rear rotor
    XTR anything to do with gears
    Eggbeaters
    Ti bolts in place of steel

But you need to weigh the individual items first.

What did you weigh the bike on as a whole?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Shoes. You can save a lot of weight on shoes (really).

You’ve got the cost/benefit about right. £1/gram is about right.

adsh
    Free Member

23.35 is light for a 29er no?

Wheelset gives the most advantage IMHO. Merlin Hope Pro 2 Evo + Crests = £350? Less yours on ebay = £260 net?

Replacing something that is worn out for a lighter version is much less expensive so a XT 32tooth cassette when your present one wears will save a fair bit and only cost you approx £15more? If your saddle isn’t comfortable a lighter Kium Gobi probably will be and lighter too. Ebay the old one and you might be £55 out or so.

Carbon bars and foam grips have a comfort benefit too so money spent here gets double use as does a carbon seatpost though now it’s starting to get spendy. Eastons EC90 SLs £90, esi racers £15, USE carbon Sumo £80 You can ditch the gear indicators too.

A lot of weight in 520 pedals.

Lightweight inner tubes save 75g each if you’re carrying them as spares. If you carry a couple then that’s 150g for approx £16 (continentals)

WW = ££££££. For all that expenditure you may save a pound in weight. Me I’d replace the cassette, grips, saddle if it’s uncomfortable and carry lighter tubes while plotting the super weeny build (for which you may have the right frame!)

dannybgoode

You’d be better to take a dump before riding TBH and the only place to save weight where you’ll notice a difference to handling etc is likely to be the wheels,

Just over 10kg is pretty light for a 29er. Ride and enjoy and save the money IMHO.

Think about it – the bike is 10kg and you’re in at c. 100kg so you plus bike = 110kg.

You’re going to save 1kg max on the bike so less than 1% of the overall weight of rider + bike for an huge outlay cash-wise. You’ll go faster just by getting fitter and shifting another 2 or 3 kg off your weight will be cheaper and easier…

Cheers

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I must admit, i’ve gone from a low 20’s lb hardtail to a low 30’s lb softtail and can’t notice the extra weight at all. I’m sure over a long run I would – the clock would almost certainly measure a difference, but from a pedalling in the saddle feel, I can’t say I really notice it too much.

rOcKeTdOg

get rid of the gap between the headset and the stem, i.e. slam it. should save couple of 100g

radoggair
    Free Member

xx cassettes on on one just now ( were) for £100. thats 1/2 lb saved straight away

also, sell your slx brakes and get some lighter brakes( 2nd hand?, classifieds), with some light rotors from xcracer.com. shop, theres another 1/2lb

Merak

Congratulations on losing the weight. No offence but trying to shave grams off your bike is a waste of time, lose another few stones (as you’ve proved you can) and you’ll be flying.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i just swapped my alloy seatpost and bars for carbon versions, very noticeable difference in weight in both, especially the bar…

also that seat may look light, but i swapped a very similar saddle for an sdg with ti rails, the saddle looks twice the saddle but weighs a nice bit less.

ow …and take the mudguard off 😀

ljs1977
    Free Member

Thanks for all your responses.

I couldn’t see where my bike was specially heavy – it isn’t obviously.

I think I will continue with the personal weight loss and swap for lighter when bits break.

Cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not read the other responses but the saddle is probably about 250g, so you could save over 100g if you went fro a Flite for example. plus the 100g on the grips. Thats you well on the way to your first 1lb.

Also look at bar/seapost/stem. I have a fairly light roadbike but will be swapping these items and saving around 300g.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss advice (on my bike)’ is closed to new replies.