Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Week in the snow for a few young families
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Hello chaps and chapesses – looking for some advice

We have just had a new arrival in the Doubleu household to add to our 18month old. I got a week’s boarding on my own this year but for this coming season Mrs wants to come too. Some friends have just had their first, and possibly another couple will bring their slightly older boys 4&3. Will be going later in the season but not quite school holidays.

Whats the best way of doing this do you think? We think that by splitting the days we’ll all get some time on the slope and although we prefer chalet holidays, were thinking self catering might be the way to go for kids meals etc.

Looking for advice on resort with things to do when not on the slopes? Type of accommodation or even recommendations? How splitting time has worked out for you in the past?

Anything else we haven’t thought of. Thinking of driving to Europe from North East so have car too. Part of me is tempted to head stateside though whilst flights still “free” for the little ones.

Murray

Club Med with a creche?

hot_fiat

Driving is definitely the way with a teeny one: flying is such a complete pita and you get thoroughly messed around by transfers. It’s easy to stop every couple of hours and do feeds and you’re not so limited in the a mount of junk you can haul along. The ferry from Newcastle is a great relaxing start to the journey too.

I’d look for any of the valley based resorts as they tend to be larger and have better off piste distractions, so: ellmau, soll, les gets /morzine, zell am see, st Anton, kitzbuhel, anywhere in the Zillertal except tux. Also look at the jungfraujoch region (grindlewald, wengen, not murren or lauterbrunnen), though the lift pass looked frighteningly steep last time I checked. Chamonix is worth a punt too, but again bonkers expensive.

We take two cars and babysitters grandparents as ours are too weenie for crèches. Sister and bro in law do shortened days sharing babysitting with the olduns. I suspect well do the same.

Mugboo

We are doing exactly that this time.

2 couples, with one child each. Split the childcare.

Flights per family £390.

2 smaller cars are much cheaper than a minibus.

Staying Les Coches (la Plagne).

The tough part was finding affordable apartments with 4 proper bedrooms. Prices were €1500 upwards, we eventually found one for €930 🙂

Do a big shop in the valley and there’s a pool nearby.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Week in the snow for a few young families’ is closed to new replies.