Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wedding bands – how do you choose one?
  • stany
    Free Member

If i’d paid attention at school, I might have ended up with the finances to hire Gary Barlow and the boys to do a few numbers on the big day (she would love that).
    Seeing as I didn’t pay any attention at all, I now find myself trawling through the pub bands of Surrey.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been to some excellent pub gigs, but they’re not always what would strike me as a ‘Get up off your rocking chair Grandma’ kinda all encompassing, get the Aunties moving, group for a wedding.
    Anyone in the Surrey area with any suggestions?
    Or anyone anywhere got a formula for choosing the right band?
    Just to add to the mix, it would be nice if they could throw in half an hour of Ceilidh, just to get those dancing feet warmed up.

ads678

I spent so long trying to chose a wedding band, I ended up getting a DJ!!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

mine was a big fat greek wedding so it was pre-ordained we have a Greek wedding band. sorry that doesnt help unless youre greek or cypriot.

kimbers

i got Ti one based on this scene in the abyss

kimbers

oh when you said band i didnt actually read the OP and thought you meant ring!

we got a jukebox settup, you can select your own cds etc, my cousins loved it

DezB
    Free Member

i got Ti one based on this scene in the abyss

Er… what? (Oh ok!)

jekkyl

Get a beatles cover band. Everyone knows the songs, everyone will love it and sing along.

stany
    Free Member

Kimbers – cheers mate. Nice tangent.
    I hadn’t even got close to thinking about that kind of wedding band!! 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

Our wedding band were unavailable as they went on tour (mates doing it for free) so had to go with a friend to dj until we found out her plan was to wire up her ipod to a sound system so went with a commercial dj who confessed to never having done a wedding I normally do festivals and raves . He was ace we sent him a load of our favourite tunes on mp3 he combined those with a load of fitting music and when the venue messed up at the last minute arranged a quality sound system at short notice.
    I thought the music was more “us” than having a band and a DJ was certainly more flexible .
    Moral never trust musicians unless you are paying them.

breadcrumb

My OH asked for recommendations on Facebook. We ended up with an amazing band, excellent selection of tunes and they had a great patter too.

nedrapier

We spent quite a long time looking for a band.

Spent quite a bit of time listening to uninspiring demos on wedding band sites. Then we realised that we didn’t necessarily want a “wedding band”, that bands selling themselves as “wedding bands” were charging quite a bit more than you might expect for the quality (as you’ll have found with anything else you’re paying for with “wedding” in it!)

We just wanted a really good group of musicians. Widened our search to agents/booking sites and found 3 on here: http://www.thebandboutique.co.uk/
    that we really liked and booked “Rob Lloyd and the Riviera” who were awesome, they played our first song, and 2 long sets, then we had the laptop with a couple of playlists plugged into the PA for teh late dancers.

woody2000

I saw these guys at a beer festival recently, they were chuffin’ ace

https://www.facebook.com/betrunkenwurst

Northern based, but maybe they do functions? Ooompah versions of modern tunes, really good fun and got everyone involved 🙂

Next big party I organise I’m going to try and get them there

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wedding bands – how do you choose one?’ is closed to new replies.