Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Website building software, can someone answer some dumb questions please?
  • Karinofnine

I’ve got a domain name, and it’s hosted at 123-reg. I want to build a website.

123-reg will sell me a website builder, for £9.99 a month, or a free trial for 14 days.

I can build the website in 14 days, what happens after? Will they take my site down?

If I get some free software from the internet and build the site, will I be able to load it onto 123-reg?

Thank you

dannybgoode

Microsoft Expression Web is now free and very very good (so good I used to pay for it).

Yes you can build a website using that or any other software and load it up to 123-Reg.

Alternatively you can move the domain to another host if they cause you too many issues.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

WordPress is fairly simple to use. Install a theme and away you go.

Its how I started to learn to build sites.

I own a small web hosting/design company, http://www.greygorilla.co.uk and that is built on WordPress and I have a sneaky suspicion the STW site is also using WordPress.

It is a little overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it you can make a great looking site easily.

I would not buy a website builder for £9 a month, thats very expensive even if it includes hosting.

If you need any help with WordPress or websites just ask and I will be happy to talk things over with you 🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I must be thick because I got nowhere with WordPress.

I’m building mine in Axure.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Dorset_Knob – Member
    I must be thick because I got nowhere with WordPress.

I’m building mine in Axure.

WordPress isnt the easiest to start with but once you know your way round it, it makes changes and additions very easy to do and without too much development knowledge.

Karinofnine

Thank you, I’ll try WordPress. I looked at your website btw, very good. Mine won’t have things that move on it… not to start with anyway!

Cougar

+1 for WordPress. Ten quid a month for My First Website is a bit of a blow.

Karinofnine

Hi Cougar, every time I see your forum name the Top Gun theme plays in my head.

Anyway, I downloaded WordPress, I got as far as ‘find an empty directory, unzip and upload’ – upload to where? I’m no good at this sort of thing, all the rest might as well be written in Swahili 🙂 it seems I haven’t got .php

bigtimebones
    Free Member

You upload it to your FTP.

Usually your cPanel will have a software installer like Softalicious, thats an easy way to install wordpress.

I can look at it for you if you want?

badllama
    Free Member

Everyone is using wordpress now but I’m old school and use Dreamweaver 😀

Karinofnine

Neil, how? yes please, but how?

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Do you use skype? or some other instant messages service?

email me your username and we can chat on there and I can talk you through it. neil@greygorilla.co.uk

Or if you prefer email me your login details and I can set it up for you but perfectly understand if you dont want to do that.

Moses

Gosh, Neil – I was dragged up very close to your place, & my ex is only about 4 streets away.
    Can WP take a back-end database? One day I have to construct a big website, & can’t afford £30k for a developer to do it.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

WordPress is primarily a piece of blogging software but it uses for all sorts these days. Its great as an easy to use CMS.

Can WP take a back-end database? One day I have to construct a big website, & can’t afford £30k for a developer to do it.

What do you mean by back-end database exactly?

butcher

It is important to note that domain hosting and website hosting are not the same thing. You will need both.

The domain hosting is for your website address only. Usually costs about £9.99 for a year or two for a .co.uk domain at 123reg.

Website hosting will cost you a bit more. £9.99 per month sounds about right for a basic package, but can vary a lot. This is where your website will be uploaded to.

Karinofnine

skype no, my mobile provider’s contract does not allow – but have sent you an email 🙂

Karinofnine

skype no, my mobile provider’s contract does not allow – but have sent you an email 🙂

Moses

Karin, skype can run on a PC as well as phones. I assumed that your website was for biggerscreens than phones.

BTB: My imaginary / putative website would have features of webcommerce or dating-type sites, with choices made from predefined lists taking users to new screens.

Cougar

Hi Cougar, every time I see your forum name the Top Gun theme plays in my head.

‘s where the name originally came from.

Note there’s WordPress.com and WordPress.org. .org will allow you to download the software to upload to your web host, whereas .com is an all-in-one free service which will give you hosting so you don’t have to install anything. If you’re asking “what directory?” I’d suspect that wordpress.com is what you seek.

AlexSimon

I wouldn’t host with 123-reg. I’d point the domain to https://www.tsohost.com/product/wordpress-hosting

Their standard hosting at 2.99/m should be all you need.
    Most of my business clients are on the 4.99/m option and it’s absolutely spot-on.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Website building software, can someone answer some dumb questions please?’ is closed to new replies.