Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Webber announces F1 retirement (at end of season)
  • psychle
    Free Member

BBC website linky… Not suprising really, shame he could never quite get the WC, but definitely one of the best drivers of the past decade… he’ll do well with Porsche I’m sure 😀

thepurist

Saw that – I can understand his reasons. Wonder what would’ve happened if he’d had the same level of support in his career that Lewis/Seb/Shumi have enjoyed. He’s always been a straight talker who cut through a lot of the other BS that goes on in the sport. Of course it means that the driver market silly season will kick off early. Already seen half a dozen theories about how it’ll play out.

Just hope he keeps the cars the right side up during the next stage of his career!

milky1980
    Free Member

Was kind of expecting this after what went on at Malaysia. Will be sad to see him go as the paddock will lose one of it’s great characters.

As for who to replace him, got to be Raikkonen. He’s quick, fits the Red Bull image and is capable of really putting it to Vettel. Should be fun!!

dooosuk
    Free Member

If Raikkonen does go to RB I can see it ruffling Seb’s feathers a bit.

glenp
    Free Member

Great shame. For all the conspiracies and politics I think it is pretty clear that he wasn’t quite in the top top class, but easily my favourite driver anyway. On the right day really brilliant, and on any day straight talking and likeable.

clubber
    Free Member

Great news for MW IMO. I think he’s a great driver – not quite one of the best but definitely comes across as one of the nicer/well balanced people in the sport and his straight talking is fantastic in a world of super-happy PR-speak.

I think he’ll love racing outside of F1. It seems that he’s reconciled himself with the fact that he’ll never be F1 World Champion and that’ll no doubt take some weight off his shoulders.

milky1980
    Free Member

You don’t win Monaco twice without being one of the best!!

It’s just consistency he lacked over a season. That could easily be down to factors controlled by the team eg the front wing at Silverstone.

swavis

Di Resta for RB maybe?

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

The only chance that Di Resta ha has of getting his hands on a Red Bull will be in the Petrol Station fridge….

I hope Kimi goes, but fear they may play it safe with a Torro Rosso also-ran.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Wonder what would’ve happened if he’d had the same level of support in his career that Lewis/Seb/Shumi have enjoyed.

He chose Williams over Renault the season before Renault success and Williams decline that has been going on since. Sometimes it’s the luck of your choices rather than outright support…

retro83
    Free Member

swavis – Member

Di Resta for RB maybe?

or Jean-Eric Vergne perhaps. I’d like it to be Ricciardo as he seems to be a bit of a character, but his results have been poor this season.

zokes
    Free Member

but definitely one of the best drivers of the past decade…

Just a pity he’s one of the worst at getting off the line…

and @OP: I wondered where you’d gone, what with the ashes being nearly upon us 😆

DM52
    Free Member

If someone outside of the Toro Rosso team is picked as the next Red Bull driver does it not make it a little tricky to justify having the Toro Rosso team as well as the Red Bull driver development program the first place?

legend
    Free Member

I don’t think Red Bull care too make about justifying all the stuff they do TBH.

I think he’ll love racing outside of F1

He was flying high the last time he went to Le Mans

brakes
    Free Member

maybe he’ll have more time for mountain biking now…

tonyd

Porsche resurgence in the LMP1 category, I think a trip to Le Mans might be on the cards next year! Audi have had it too easy since Peugeot dropped out.

the-muffin-man

Kobayashi for Red Bull!

Come on Horner – you know it makes sense!

oomidamon

DM52 +1 to that.

It would be great to see Kimi in the RB but I can’t see Seb wanting him as his team mate. Good advertising potential for Vodka Red Bull tho…

Pigface
    Free Member

Vettel will go to Ferrari at some pont in his career.

the-muffin-man

Vettel will go to Ferrari at some pont in his career.

…and Hamilton will be blocked again!

igm

Surprised he had fewer wins (9) than Coulthard (13 IIRC – also two in Monaco).

Also how many times has he left the ground? Two flips at Le Mans, one at European Grand Prix, and at least once he where he managed to land his Red Bull after it had been nose up at 45 degrees.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Surprised he had fewer wins (9) than Coulthard (13 IIRC – also two in Monaco)

I think because Red Bull have been so dominant, people expect his record to be better than it is…especially with him being so close to the championship a few years ago.

Kryton57

Will Webber continue with team orders and remain very professional, or when the opportunity presents itself, “take that Seb”?

oomidamon

Will Webber continue with team orders and remain very professional, or when the opportunity presents itself, “take that Seb”?

Option B I hope.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d expect option B given that he took option B at Brazil last year when he still had this season with the team to go…

clubber
    Free Member

And to back that up…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23073995

“Britney’s in the wall”
    Mark Webber’s Williams years provided a favourite anecdote about him, which says a lot about his determination, sense of justice and humour.

Like all top Aussie sportsmen, Webber is not immune to a few psychological games to boost his chances. And it was he who invented the nickname “Britney” – as in popstar Spears – for his young, blond and good-looking 2006 Williams team-mate Nico Rosberg, then in his first season.

Their final race together was in Brazil, where Rosberg rammed into the back of his team-mate’s car on the opening lap, breaking the front nose of the German’s car and Webber’s rear wing.

Because it’s relatively quick to replace a front wing replacement but a damaged rear means a likely retirement, the two were given a “priority Rosberg” message over the radio as they headed back to the pits.

Webber, cross at his team-mate’s mistake, was determined to get back first and they began to race – really race – despite Rosberg suffering from lack of front grip and Webber struggling with the rear.

As they came on to the pit straight, Rosberg was just ahead, only to lose control through the flat-out kink before the pits and crash heavily into a concrete barrier.

Webber was right behind him and, as he passed the incident, the team came back on the radio with another “priority Rosberg” message. Webber paused for effect before replying in a languid Aussie drawl: “Britney’s in the wall.”

🙂

back2basics
    Free Member

IMHO, a mediocre driver in a better car he deserved with flashes of brilliant drives, but mostly mid field battles and hasty badly timed overtakes that usually involve front nose wipeout.

he’ll probably get a job at the bbc or sky.

trevron73
    Free Member

Webber had terrible luck with his cars from 05/6/ till now, many DNF and he is a genuinely competitive guy ,but also a nice guy – shame he is going but he has had a hell of a run .

andrewh
    Free Member

Sad to see him go but the right choice I think.
    there have been a few guys to win that many races and no championship, Coulthard, Barrachello, Berger, Pattrese, Moss of course. He’s in good company there.
    what chance Rosberg to RB? When’s his contract up? He’s the most suitable of the top guys. Would love to see it go to Kobiashi but sadly I don’t think that’s likely. Should be some good competition down at STR now there is a prize up for grabs.

hora
    Free Member

Never saw MW as top tier. He had a bloody good car three seasons and only 9 wins. A better driver would double that in such a car….a great driver even more.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ricardo probably will end up at RB?

clubber
    Free Member

assuming that they have another good car, hopefully it’ll be Raikkonen at RB next year so we can finally settle the question of just how good Vettel actually is

shermer75
    Free Member

Kubica for Red Bull!!! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I like this Mark Webber story:

The Red Bull press officers suspected what might be coming, and had said to him beforehand that he should stick to the party line and not talk in depth about Bahrain.
    Webber walked in, looked at the assembled throng, and said: “So. Bahrain?”
    Over the next 15 minutes, he talked about nothing else. Judging the situation perfectly, he picked his words with care, making it clear he was uncomfortable about the position the sport and himself were in and why, but not saying a single thing that could be construed as offensive or overtly critical.
    It was a profoundly impressive moment – and he went on to produce one of his best races, out-qualifying Vettel on a tough weekend for the team and passing him for fourth place between the penultimate and final corners of the last lap.

From here

Stoner
    Free Member

do I remember it incorrectly, but didn’t Webber sell shares in himself in his early days in the UK to raise capital for investing in setting up a drive for him?

hora
    Free Member

Raikkonen- You know before he retired I thought he was ‘ok’/a very good driver. No fan-fare, just gets on with it.

In the Lotus – tbh its not a bloody great car, hes showing just what a bloody capable driver he is. For me, hes one of the greats now- he may never win seven titles (or even three) but his talent puts him on par with Schummacher and definitely alongside Mika.

Thoughts?

shermer75
    Free Member

I like his no bs approach. Definitely a fan!

retro83
    Free Member

hora – Member

Raikkonen- You know before he retired I thought he was ‘ok’/a very good driver. No fan-fare, just gets on with it.

In the Lotus – tbh its not a bloody great car, hes showing just what a bloody capable driver he is. For me, hes one of the greats now- he may never win seven titles (or even three) but his talent puts him on par with Schummacher and definitely alongside Mika.

Thoughts?

I think he’s up there with Hamilton and Alonso and maybe Kubica for being able to wring that extra little bit out of the car. Even compared to Vettel, I think those drivers have a very slight edge in terms of sheer pace.

Take a look at Hamilton’s laps on Top Gear. The way he gets the car turned in with a really delicate touch of oversteer is sublime. Compare to Vettel who although does a mighty lap, seems to be slightly working against the car.

Where Vettel shines though is consistency and focus over the race distance. He gets the fastest lap quite often, so clearly very fast with a light car, but it’s hard to tell quite how much of that is down to the car being excellent (and designed around him?).

hora
    Free Member

You know they nicknamed Vettel baby Schummy before he started winning right? 😉

Saying this- I’d love to see Vettel in a new team, in a crap car to see how he develops it/performs in it..

dooosuk
    Free Member

Raikkonen was very lucky to win the championship he did. He’s definitely not on a par with Schumacher (whatever you think of him).

He does seem to have matured well though and is doing a mighty fine job at the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Webber announces F1 retirement (at end of season)’ is closed to new replies.