Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Weather whinge
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Fed up of wind and drizzle. Need to do a couple of hours on the bike. Road bike was miserable yesterday into gusting rainy headwinds. Trails round here are a mud fest. Turbo, not sure I can face it. Wish this weather would just sod off 😡

JoB
    Free Member

it’s February, what were you expecting?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I know, it’s just dismal 🙁 Need a couple of weeks down in southern Spain with the road bike for a sun recharge. No chance of that though.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s February, what were you expecting?

empathy

chakaping
    Free Member

I know this doesn’t help, but I had a couple of beautifully sunny spring-like hours on my road bike yesterday – another good hour on Tues and a very pleasant five-hour ride on Sunday.

Weather is looking grotty for my Wales trip at the weekend though.

jam-bo

rule 5?

JoB
    Free Member

will that do?
    😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fed up of wind and drizzle. Need to do a couple of hours on the bike. Road bike was miserable yesterday into gusting rainy headwinds.

February usually isn’t that bad a month but this month I’ve had snow, ice and very strong winds. But as I’m sure you know its never as bad as you think its going to be.

It was blowing a gale yesterday and I was dreading my 20 mile ride home – I head south towards the coast and its a very exposed route across a moor so always windy anyway but if its remotely strong it’s very hard work. It wasn’t half as bad as I expected last night though, well the wind was but the ride itself was fine, if you get into the right frame of mind – its going to take you a lot longer than usual and you just need to spin. Thing my average speed last night about 12mph, this morning was just under 18mph so I’m at least getting the benefit one way.

badnewz
    Free Member

Good sunny day yesterday down south but the bite in the wind was a reminder winter isn’t over just yet.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@JoB..Spot on!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes yes, I know, winter miles / summer smiles, MTFU etc.

mega
    Free Member

I use shitty weather days to look for new trails.

Usually those rides are without flow as I plod about trying to locate hidden trail heads so the weather doesn’t really bother me. I found a cracker yesterday – a proper ribbon of singletrack that is left right – left right all the way down a gentle downhill to a fireroad to enable up and do it again loops. It’s riding crap now in the slop but come summer it’ll be magic.

oh and road bikes are always miserable, just look at the riders faces you pass 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thank you JoB! A nice gentle, metaphorical slap on the back of the legs.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ive just got back from 40 miles on the road bike and yep was miserable to say the least , wind rain and even more rain 🙁

akira

Ride when you can you’ll miss it when you can’t.

rOcKeTdOg

1st rain for ages here today, been a great winter for riding this year

Houns

Was sat in the garden yesterday eating brunch in the sun. Lovely. Bit damp today but tomorrow will be nice again

Let me guess, most of those moaning live in the North We(s)t

buck53

Beautiful weather this week up until today, half the commute in to work is light now and there was the barest hint of daylight still in the air when I got home last night, couple of minutes a day of extra daylight at the moment. Spring’s coming, get out there to greet it.

All of this in Greater Manchester, by the way.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It has started raining because, after many days of good weather, I finally unpacked my kit for my first night ride in a month.

My kit will probably not be coming out tonight…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Just to cheers you up we had a great MTB ride last night, no need to clean bike and we didn’t get muddy. Brilliant conditions in Feb for the southdowns 🙂

hooli

Has been a pretty good start to the year I think, barely any wet rides and it hasn’t stopped me getting out either. Last few days have been very mild and lovely sunsets.

kimbers

bmx track nearby?

a couple of hours failing to get air at my local one leaves me destroyed!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Stop buying bling for the bike and spend your money on top riding kit, then going out in even the crappiest weather can be a smugfest.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What would Steve Abraham do?

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s the worst time imo

The potential for really bad weather is fading at the same rate as the momentum from summer/autumn that’s carried me through winter. I usually have a two or three week sabbatical from MTBing around this time of year but a few of good days now and then will keep me going until winter has finally gone

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

1st rain for ages here today, been a great winter for riding this year

Yep. Same here, but a good couple of hundred odd miles further north.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just couldn’t be bothered getting out there today, so a couple of hours on the turbo instead. Cold and rain I really don’t mind that much. It’s the gusting winds (road) and mud (off-road) that get me down.

It’s the worst time imo

Tend to agree. Motivation to train always seems at its lowest this time of year.

adsh
    Free Member

Nah – megablock of base miles nearly done and ice receding. The end is in sight!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ice? Frozen winter trails would be super. Unfortunately all we seem to get down south is mud.

nickc

To be fair, this winter hasn’t actually been that bad*

*I’m aware that I’ve just **** it. You have my apologies

rOcKeTdOg

The potential for really bad weather is fading at the same rate as the momentum from summer/autumn that’s carried me through winter.

riding all year round is allowed you know

zippykona

Need to do a couple of hours on the bike.

You could always have the evening off .

mrblobby
    Free Member

You could always have the evening off .

Not according to the plan!

h4muf
    Free Member

I had to go Lanzarote for my fix.

pete68
    Free Member

Mr blobby, I’m not far from you and yesterday was a lovely bright and sunny day.Today not so good but got a couple of hours on the road bike. Agrree about the off road trails though, absolutely dreadful at the moment, every time they start to dry we get another wet day and it’s back to gloop.

tonyg2003

Minus 24c with a windchill of almost minus35c this morning. Freezing defrosting the car and you would have to be insane to go out on a bike. I’m looking forward to riding in the drizzle this weekend.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pete68, are you also from the royal county of west berkshire? Looking out the window yesterday it did actually appear to be quite a nice day. Thought it was colder than it was what with the morning frost and went out a bit overdressed for a lunchtime ride and overheated, then got really fed up with a gusting headwind messing about with some interval work I was trying to do 😡

cloudnine
    Free Member

You’ll be pleased to hear there’s plenty more rain and wind on the way..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Woohoo 🙁

pete68
    Free Member

Mr blobby, yep I’m from Berks as well ,just a few miles north of Newbury. The only enjoyable mtb ride this year was in the snow the other week. It’s one of the reasons I do the Gorrick races as their a lot more rideable than the local trails. Really looking forward to the better weather now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Weather whinge’ is closed to new replies.