Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Wax jacket – practical over style – what brand?
  • letmetalktomark

As above really.

Are Barbour still good and worth the money?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*awaits inverted snobbery melt-down*

cinnamon_girl

Dunno what the more recent Barbour's are like but mine takes looking after by regularly re-waxing. PITA.

It smells and I look like a tramp in it. 🙄

TooTall
    Free Member

Great for the job intended ie hunting and fishing etc. Mostly rubbish at anything else.
    If you live within a reasonable drive of Tyneside, Barbour every time.

nedrapier

Try Finisterre if you want to look at some waterproof cotton alternatives to Barbour.

All groovy and sustainable and stuff, too.

cinnamon_girl

Of course we really need CaptainFlashheart to come to the Forum – he knows about this stuff. 😉

If you want waterproof, go for a Goretex walking jacket.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Waxed cotton is good in its place. It depends what you want it for. If it is for low-intensity outdoor activity in rough conditions then it could be a good buy.

I like my broad-brimmed waxed hat for its tough impermeability and umbrella-like shielding off the face and neck whilst walking in heavy rain, but I wouldn't want a waxed coat.

Paramo is supposed to be a good alternative to Gore-Tex.

rossrobot
    Free Member

+1 for Finisterre

woffle
    Free Member

John Partridge here. Good UK make, seems to be pretty much bombproof and comes with a decent guarantee too…

but +1 for finisterre as a good company with decent (if a little £££) gear.

midlifecrashes

Had good service from my old Driza Bone Jackeroo jacket, good for walking and working outdoors, was a bit odd when wax jackets were a fashion item. If you're more biker oriented, Belstaff might be worth a look.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I've got one of these:

http://www.finisterreuk.com/technicalsurfapparel/mens/matanuska-m65-p124-c28.html

As well as most of the Finisterre range – brilliant kit.

Recently bought Mrs Mat a ltd edition Barbour International but obviously it's quite girly! Still damn cool though and they do a bloke version I think.

CountZero

Goretex is fine, but you have to really look after it to maintain it's proofing, and it's not thornproof. Waxed cotton is a lot tougher, proofing is really only needed once a year and is really easy, you just need a tin of proofer, a nice warm sunny day, and space to spread the coat out. Looked after, a quality coat could last forty to fifty years, with regular proofing, and even rips and tears can be repaired; try doing that with Goretex.
    Last July I bought a Barbour Stockman in a sale for half price. When the weather got wet in November I started walking to work wearing it and I wore it pretty much every day until April. Best value coat I've ever owned, it'll be re-proofed soon, and I can see it lasting for the rest of my life. Not an exaggeration, as I've got a twenty-odd year old North Face fleece that's still wearable, and I'm fifty five. Drizabone are as good as Barbour and quite a bit cheaper, so look at them. One reason I like the Stockman is that in really heavy rain my legs stay dry, water doesn't run down straight onto my thighs soaking my jeans. With a hood up or a hat on a brolly is unnessessary.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Got a Barbour that's great but still acceptable in the pub too.

Just re waxed it and very pleased. Will last years more than the average jacket so great value and not remotely chavvy like many technical jackets. A total winner really!!

backhander
    Free Member

How about belstaff as a stylish alternative?
    http://www.coggles.com/man/brand/belstaff/SK
    Not cheap though….

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Barbour International Mens range is the way ahead they also have a few Styles Motor Bike Style is the one.

CountZero

The Belstaf Trialmaster is the classic, but finding a good wax cotton one is almost impossible, since Belstaf stopped making them a while back.[edit] Just had a google, and they are available, but from around £385!.[/edit] Somewhere I believe I have my dad's old Trialmaster hidden away. If I can find it it'll get reproofed and worn again. That jacket will be getting on for sixty years old…

rouler
    Free Member

Barbour Durham if you want a hood, or Cowan Commando. Remember a wax jacket is cooler as it dies and gets holes in. Cowan has hard wearing patches… Durham is lightweight – the old black watch tartan is very breathable…

ross980
    Free Member

If you live within a reasonable drive of Tyneside, Barbour every time.

Why?

chameleon78
    Free Member

Barbour all the way – Belstaff a close second but for moto inspired styles only.

Barbour used to offer a reproofing service too.

cinnamon_girl

Count – I'm afraid I will have to disagree with you! My Barbour was sent back after around 2 weeks use of regularly wearing it whilst exercising my energetic gundog in all weathers. The elbow creases turned into holes and the cuffs were coming apart.

It was sent back to Barbour, new panels had been put in sleeves and the cuffs were properly bound. Obviously this was under guarantee.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a high maintenance product and would rather use my Goretex jacket that has stood up to donkey's years of wear all around the U.K., walking in some pretty serious weather.

BillMC

Waxed cotton is damned hot for country pursuits. I found a shooting jacket with a breathable drop liner to be much more functional. Mind you, I did buy a Barbour A90 (?), the lightest jacket they make, and I think that might turn out to be a good travel coat. My heavy duty Aussie farmer's full length waxed coat is great for blackberrying. It all depends what you're aiming to do in it.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have black colour John Partridge bought from TK Maxx for £99. Was going to buy Barbour Trooper jacket price at £199 but since John Partridge was cheaper with rather similar design I opted for it. Quality looks okay too me.

I only wanted it because I like the design with plenty of pockets and it is different from any other cotton jackets.

So far so good and waxing should not be a problem really but let see how long it will last since I always carry a rucksack. Hope the shoulders do not worn out …

🙂

bigG
    Free Member

You'll be wanting one of these Musto jackets then,,,
    Musti Woodland Jacket

Has all the style of a barbour, with none of the faff

G

corroded
    Free Member

Another Finisterre groupie here. Reckon I'll get one of those Matanuska jackets now I've noticed they're £70.

TooTall
    Free Member

ross980 – Member

Why?

That is where they are made and where the factory shop is. 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

ooh, swipe me!

ross980
    Free Member

That is where they are made and where the factory shop is

Didn't realise that.
    Anyone know what types of discounts are available at the factory shop?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Another Finisterre groupie here. Reckon I'll get one of those Matanuska jackets now I've noticed they're £70.

Definitely get one!

Did some work for them a while back for kit instead of cash – now have a Storm Track each (me and Mrs Mat), Cohos, Eddys, merino Ts and loads and loads of other stuff – even though it's now not "free" I still get lots of it. Great kit although the Merino stuff is fragile.

andygreener

I have two drizabones, the long and short coats. Very nice but I haven't worn them for ages. Liking the finsterre though.

TooTall
    Free Member

Anyone know what types of discounts are available at the factory shop?

Less than half price on some lines – depends what they have been making, what is in your size etc. They have a lot of stock in there, from their t-shirts, knitwear and footwear through to the jackets.
    Some real billy bargains.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Wax jacket – practical over style – what brand?’ is closed to new replies.