Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Waterproof SPDs?
  • leonardsmalls
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions for waterproof SPD shoes or boots?
    Seems odd to me that the majority of shoes/boots for sale in the rainy, muddy and generally wet UK have “breathable” uppers, i.e. soak through instantly when you go through a puddle.
    I’ve had this same problem with climbing “approach” shoes; firstly you couldn’t get any with ankle protection, and secondly you couldn’t get waterproof ones. For the mountains! I had to order from Germany in the end…

tarquin
    Free Member

I never had a problem with my Shimano AM45s.

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

Looks like the AM45 is excellent unless you need to walk up a muddy hill!

chris_db
    Free Member

Shimano MW-81 is Goretex lined -gets good reviews on here.

oldfart

Northwaves Gore Tex comfy n dry Nuffi said !

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

Funny that it’s £20 cheaper to get them from Germany…

scaredypants

you want winter booties of some brand or other or else, as we learned here the other day, shimano shoes with a “n” at the end are “nordic” and that means no mesh and waterproof (unless poster was taking the piss)

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

But why is it only winter boots that are waterproof?
    We’re in the UK!

scaredypants

shimano shoes with a “n” at the end are “nordic” and that means no mesh and waterproof

It was clubber, he never lies

Yetiman
    Free Member

Been wearing my Shimano MW80 Goretex boots for 2 years solid now. They are nigh on perfect for 3 seasons but I haven’t got around to buying new summer boots yet so I’ve been wearing them all year round with no ill effects.

mrelectric

Yetiman

+1!

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

Tempted by the Northwaves at £76 from Germany… Ta everybody – hopefully I can retire my Scott Sieves to use during a rare heatwave!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve got the Northwave celcius shoes and they are very good but the only word of caution is that they are quite narrow so might be an idea to buy them from somewhere that you can try them on first.

tinybits
    Free Member

+1 on the MW81’s. Warm dry, comfy to pedal and walk in. If you did go for them, be warned that they come up small. so order a bigger size.

stanleigh
    Free Member

+1 For MW80s , but they also come up tight , so try before you buy , fine to use year round.

john_l
    Free Member

Shimano XC50N

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got the Northwave ones, they’re pretty good.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof SPDs?’ is closed to new replies.