Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Waterproof Shorts
  • singlespeedstu

What are people using?
    Must be hard wearing as the sandy trails round here destroy shorts when its wet.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I honestly don’t think they exist!
    I have tried in the past but nothing seems to work ..and the shorts themselves seem to take a direct route to my ankles ..
    I now just wear “ordinary” shorts with Endura tights and accept that if its raining I’m going to get wet

jam-bo

Sweet mudrides are great but expensive. Pair in the classifieds at the moment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

I just bought some of the Madison Storm waterproof ones for under 50 quid. Fit and construction seem believable, but I’ve not used them properly. My experience with waterproof shorts off road in the Peak is that the grit deposits between saddle and seat simply wear through the shorts relatively quickly and where they’re reinforced, there’s a tendency for them to slide down so the non-reinforced areas can wear.

My plan is to use them mostly on the cross bike on back lane stuff. I’ll try and come back in a few weeks time with some user impressions.

rOcKeTdOg

chopped down army/raf goretex. £19

+1
    pair have lasted years so far, the rustle a bit but keep you dry. take into account they are over trousers and size accordingly

Northwind

Big fan of the ALtura Attacks- they work, they last, they can go in the washing machine, that’s all I really want. Just got some Tenn ones to try though, they seem decent but we’ll see if they go the long run

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

There was quite a bit of chatter about the RaceFace Agent shorts about this time last year but I have not heard much since so if anyone has bought them it might be good to get some feedback on them!

Sweet Protection MudRide usually get good reviews. Think Fox have some too but again not heard much real life feedback on them.

I’m looking for a new pair myself and the above are basically my shortlist!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of blue (that is more “neon” than photo suggess, so good winter/night visibility) http://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-mtb-rider-baggy-shorts-62177.html

Not many sizes/colours left now, bought mine last Xmas, might be stock elsewhere.

Northwind

Quite like those Funkier ones but “water resistant”, doesn’t that basically mean nothing for bike kit?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

As per hodgynd and rocketdog I don’t believe they exist either.

I’m on a longterm quest to find something that works in the peaks for more than one winter (or in some instances more than 2 rides):

So far I’ve been through:
    3x altura attacks all delaminated and warrantied
    1x Endura MT500 waterproof delaminated warrantied
    2x Tenn waterproof (the worst of all) both wore through warrantied
    2x Maddison storm first ripped second delaminated and all the seals on the zips came off warrantied
    2x Maddison addict dwr, very nice shorts but the taped seam around the bum comes off in a couple of rides warrantied
    Currently on Atura 360 with the dwr bum, after two very wet and muddy enduro races the the taped seam around the bum is coming off.

I’m hesitant to spend the crazy money on the mud rides as I can’t see them lasting long either.

Army shorts may be next but as noted they are very baggy and flappy

Edit
    What does work though is a good pair of water resistant 3/4 bibs under my shorts if its cold enough

biglee1

Another +1 for the ex army stuff. Why would you not at that price? Pack down really small and light as well. If you so desire get some iron on reflective tape for dark rides

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve never worn mine when it’s been lashing it down, but in light rain, they’ve felt nothing like sopping wet sponges wrapped around my legs. The liner is decent too, not as good as the excellent http://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-active-14-panel-gel-shorts-61118.html , but worthy of being a backup pair to wear separate from the baggies.

biglee1

Tbh I’ve 2 pair of the camo cut down pants and never found them too baggy at all, on eBay at the moment for around £11.50 :O

biglee1

I’ve also used the cut off bits stitched onto my overalls so if I kneel down when it’s wet my knees keep dry 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Standard waterproof walking trousers with just liners underneath. You might get a bit warm but not that you’d really notice.

orangeorange
    Free Member
    dannyh
    Free Member

Another diehard cut down army surplus goretex overtrousers user here. The seams are very sturdy, so the material will wear through before they go. No pockets or other accoutrements, which is a good thing.

What you save on the shorts you can partly spend on a couple of lots of Nikwax, which is the real key. I only ever rinse mine down, never washing with soap and softener. Every couple of months a reproof wash and tumble dry to activate/reactivate the waterproofing.

I paid eighty odd quid (I think) once upon a time for some eVent waterproof shorts from DHB and they were nowhere near as good as the army surplus ones.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

It’s nice to see the bumcrack tape delamination isn’t just me. I was wondering if I needed to see a dietician…

Edit: and I’m just going to seal it with Seamgrip. The tape, not the bumcrack.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s nice to see the bumcrack tape delamination isn’t just me.

Isn’t it anyone who has ever owned any Endura shorts? Bloody rubbish, they are.

Mind you, I sweat a lot (a drip off the nose every ten seconds even in October – humid summer days have me wringing my riding shirt out every few minutes as a ‘party trick’), so perhaps I am just very hard on riding clothes.

singlespeedstu

I have some of those ex army goretex things and TBH they’re shit.
    Too low at the back and keep falling down whenever you move about on the bike.
    Had Altura and Enduras. Both of them the ass fell out after very few rides…
    Just taken a chance on the Mudrides in the for sale section fitting me…

dannyh
    Free Member

Too low at the back and keep falling down whenever you move about on the bike.

You need a bigger arse.

singlespeedstu

I’m fine with the arse I have thanks. 🙂
    If I need a bigger one there are plenty on here a can rely on. 😆

ton

bollocks about em falling down.
    i have a bigger arse and waist and mine have been fine for 10+ years.
    if the fall down, £1.50 braces sort the problem.

save you cash for spunking on odd expensive bikes (which you seem to like). spend some cash on something with good vfm……. 😆

tomfun

Get a rear mudhugger instead. Cheaper than expensive shorts that may or may not work and your arse will be dry on most rides.

singlespeedstu

If I need a bigger one there are plenty on here a can rely on.

Cheers Ton I knew I could rely on you. 😀

Get a rear mudhugger instead

Had one and TBH Id rather have trench arse that mount that ugly thing on my bike again. 😉

honeybadgerx

I’ve always painted over the seams with seam seal as soon as I get some and they last loads longer.

nixie

I’ve got some old endura ones that didn’t last (dispite reproffing). Now just use them as a bad weather short as they have less material to soak up water. Going to try coating them in fabsil to see if that works. Yeah they won’t breath but I’d rather keep the water out.

Also got some altura ones. Only use these on road/light off road though to avoid the same issue as killed the endura ones.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AM-500-Waterproof-Mountain-Biking-Short-p/pol01-5898-p.htm

Haven’t got any myself, but I have four pairs of the non-waterproof (‘repel’) version – the oldest of which is still going strong after 3 years. As you know, my bottom is capacious and these accommodate it a treat

hammerite
    Free Member

I have some of those Polaris shorts. They’re pretty good. Granted I don’t bother going out when it’s the rain is biblical, but they keep me mostly dry when the trails are wet and muddy.

daern
    Free Member

I have recently bought some Endura MT500 shorts and while they’ve worked ok so far, they are ludicrously slippy on the saddle when dry and clean. So slippy, in fact, that I could barely stay on the bike! After 20 minutes when they are filthy, they ride like normal shorts, but this “slippy when clean” thing is utterly bizarre.

Only me?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Never thought of re-sealing but would only be a short term fix in my experience the sand and grit in the peaks rubs the material that it either wears though or in most cases delaminates

I’ve just bought some army pants on eBay so will see how they work out over this winter.

Fat-boy-fat

I’m still using some ensure venturi shorts. More than 5 years in, still waterproof, still in one piece and I don’t feel like a boil in the bag fish when wearing them. Shame they don’t seem to make them anymore.

LMT
    Free Member

I’m still using some Altura attack 3/4 awesome shorts about 7 years old still as good as new.

Doesn’t appear they make them anymore, might order the 540’s as they are in “short” supply…

BadlyWiredDog

Never thought of re-sealing but would only be a short term fix in my experience the sand and grit in the peaks rubs the material that it either wears though or in most cases delaminates

Tbh, I think you’re onto a loser with waterproof shorts in the Peak. The abrasion kills everything. The best answer I’ve found is a winter Mmmbop set up with Mudhuggers front and rear and a bloody great big crud catcher-type downtube guard as well. The coverage is good enough that you can ride through big water splashes without that familiar mud enema sensation, which makes things a bunch less miserable. In fact, those and waterproof shorts, in combination, might just work.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

BWD I’ve just been living in hope that just one of the British brands would make something that works in typical British conditions

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with the idea of something like Montane Terra/Terra Stretch with bibs. They seem to be reinforced in sensible places and look like they should cope reasonably well. Mind, they are just DWR not ‘waterproof’…

wadam00
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of the raceface agent winters for 12 months, ride mainly in the peaks, edge of Sheffield & the pines – so far they have been excellent. Kept me dry on most rides with rain lashing down. The bum panel is starting to discolour but not given way yet.

They were tested in stupid rain over four days at the Staines, a wet weekend at afan, damp at coed-y-brenin too so they seem to last. Not the cheapest but I want another pair for crimbo as the fits great too

epicyclo

I’ll be boring and mention mudguards again.

Keeps you and your bike cleaner, bearings last longer, and you don’t have to wear waterproof shorts which are never as comfortable as decent water resistant ones.

If mudguards offend your eye, why not take 2 bikes on your ride?

The aesthetically pleasing one to lean against the trailcentre cafe or your car, the other to actually ride -because you don’t look at your bike when you ride it. 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

I’m about 8 rides in to a set of Raceface Agents. Originally bought the mudrides but they didn’t fit me at all. Anyway, impressed with the Agents, they’re waterproof and seem well thought out and put together. Can’t complain and at c.£50 cheaper than the mudrides I’m happy with them. Endura stuff I am not buying again. Everything I’ve had just falls apart or has a ‘design feature’ which is just ill thought out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Shorts’ is closed to new replies.