• This topic has 62 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by timc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Watching football as a neutral with a 5yr old in the North of England.
  • rockhopper70

Not being a football fan myself, I wondered about taking the lad to a match just to watch, for the experience of it.
    Where would you go? Is it going to be family friendly or full of effin and jeffin and gesturing?
    Ta

yossarian
    Free Member

Newcastle or Liverpool in the prem

rockhopper70

not that far north (newcastle) ….M62 corridor perhaps?

hora
    Free Member

From what I can gather Man U would be ok if you avoided the Stretford end (that’s the most vocal/noisy??).

sc-xc

I my experience of Old Trafford you could sit anywhere and be in near silence.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you mean the North there is only Newcastle the rest are a bit southern

Great atmosphere roaring noise and sometimes a good result

hora
    Free Member

Old Trafford is well Policed and I’ve wandered/walked my dog round there many times (I live by the cricket ground nearby) and I’ve never had any probs.

The issue is swearing- you can never guarantee that someone next to you might suddenly say ‘are you **** blind ref’?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hillsborough in the south stand is great as a neutral/family. Good view, decent food and drink, lots of families.
    Good footie at the minute too

ratherbeintobago

Having taken a 5yo to see them play Bolton in a friendly, the mighty ‘Dale might suit?

Not exactly high quality football but better than what I was bourght up with (ie. Morton)

Andy

hora
    Free Member

Worse than swearing though. Your son may become a Man U fan if he enjoys the experience/leaves a lasting impression..

headfirst
    Free Member

Huddersfield town!

hora
    Free Member

Come on Terriers! In the sauna tonight I was asked if I’m a City fan. No Hudds Town 😀

sc-xc

That’s a good point from hora. Wherever you end up be prepared to let him wear the shirt.

It’s great that you want to take your son – I missed out on football because my dad was a typical stuck up pompous prick who felt football was beneath him. I got into it late, but luckily settled on a glory club.

(The mighty Baggies)

djglover
    Free Member

Most grounds will have a family friendly stand. Used to go to Leeds a lot and when we sat in the east stand there were loads of kids with their dads

donsimon
    Free Member

Worse than swearing though. Your son may become a Man U fan if he enjoys the experience/leaves a lasting impression..

Or you could take him somewhere to learn how to be an underachieving failure, and think it’s something to boast about…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Or you could take him somewhere to learn how to be an underachieving failure, and think it’s something to boast about…

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nice Pink Handbag Sir!

sc-xc

Who’s been boasting on this thread/in general DS?

donsimon
    Free Member

Who’s been boasting on this thread/in general DS?

Do you think I’m trying to pull someone down or just have a gentle jibe?

br
    Free Member

I remember taking my son (then about 8) to Elland Road on a Dad/Lad special. Swearing was about the only issue, about 5 rows back.

It ceased though after one of the Dads (large ex-miner) stood up and turned around and shouted at the swearer to ‘stop that f***ing swearing in front of my kids!’…

sc-xc

I was getting upset that you ,ight have been talking about the lovely Albion 🙁

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’d avoid Stoke games if you don’t want to hear foul language!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Which Albion?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

sc-xc

The good one Don, in the capital of glamour that is West Bromwich.

donsimon
    Free Member

I went to the Hawthorns once, it was raining. 🙁

CaptJon
    Free Member

go to a club outside of the premiership. oldham? rochdale? blades?

rockhopper70

I had a look at the bolton wanderers website as that is a fairly modern stadium, quite handy and possibly empty??? but the ticket purchasing rules are complex. Seem I need a purchase history with them to buy a ticket. Chicken/Egg situ?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

blades – their fans are scum

vegasdave
    Free Member

I’d avoid Stoke if you don’t want to experience the best atmosphere in the Premiership. Up The Potters!

snakebite
    Free Member

I got Aus off this here forum some tickets for him and his lad, he wanted to go to a premier league game inthe big city but couldnt get tickets etc…. I got him two in the Stoke end at the Spurs or Fulham game-cant remember, anyway, they both enjoyed it and now are secondary potters fans!!

Loud and proud!

higgo
    Free Member

Take him to your local club.

Or man city (as that’s who he’ll end up supporting anyway). 👿

Don’t listen to cruzheckler, she’s confusing us with her own fans 😉

Bramall Lane can be a fantastic atmosphere, or a bit tepid – our fans are fickle, I’ll admit that, but on its day it can’t be beat and is very family friendly – even has a family stand. Sitting in a 2/3 full stadium beats driving 4 miles to the shitty end of town and sitting in a half empty morgue 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Bradford City is one of the friendliest grounds I’ve been to.

sc-xc

I saw The Boss at Bramall Lane in ’88. It was that goo, that ever since the gig Sheffield United have been my favourite club in Sheffield.

simonm
    Free Member

driving 4 miles to the shitty end of town

must av driven over from the wanabees end of town… cos the mileage doesnt mean your from the actually haves end of town

totalshell

take my girls ( 6- 8) to see non league they ve been home and away following Scarborough the youngest is a man u fan so shes also seen fcum and bradford as we build her up crowd wise to a trip to old trafford.. at 5 just the two of you be prepared to leave early when the hot dogs and coke have run out.. mine get chips and coke at half time three rides on the seafront after home games if its light, if dark maccy d’s on the way home..

Edited 1

An Airdrie fan edited his own post. 😳

First edit was about the glory of Fashanu.

Second edit was about what losers do, plus drugs and buckfast.

I ride bikes at other times 💡

Cougar

You could take him to a proper game, and I guarantee the audience will be family friendly.

http://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk/fixtures/

MrSparkle

Rockhopper – just give the ticket office a bell. They’ll sort you out pretty quickly and then you will have a buying history should you wish to go again. The way this season is going it’ll be Championship next year though!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Watching football as a neutral with a 5yr old in the North of England.’ is closed to new replies.