Home Forums Chat Forum Watches N+1…

• This topic has 9,313 replies, 420 voices, and was last updated 3 hours ago by Kato.
Viewing 40 posts - 9,241 through 9,280 (of 9,314 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

Can anyone recommend a good budget GMT?   Needs to be bracelet & look for suited and booted at work, sapphire, 100m, and not a friction bezel at least.   I was looking to flip the orange 5kx for the new green 5kx gmt, but I’m reluctant to lose the Orange in my collection, and the bezel,is still friction. Oh, and not a Chris Ward, circa £500 delivered.

Thanks

igm

Couple here.
    Seconds Stock

You can spec the bracelet

Kryton57

Thanks IGM I saw those, but only 5atm.

igm
    Kato

Ignore me.  Way over budget.

Blazin-saddles

How far underwater is your office?

Kryton57

I’m such a – forgetful – idiot.  Of course, I already have an affordable GMT:

IMG_6213

ok so perhaps accuracy isn’t the best, and it had a friction bezel and that doesn’t go with a suit.

beanum

@Kryton – How about a Traska Venturer? Internal bezel and only just over budget…

Venturer

Kryton57

Funny you should say that, I was close to pulling the trigger on the Trasker (black enamel dial) until I noted it was coming from the US so +20% in cost.   Yet, after the Panerai I said no more watches albeit I keep looking at GMT’s, most recently a 25% discounted black dial Marine Master GMT.   I feel this is more a watch based dopamine rush!

I still want to get to six watches only and have one space left on the “posh” side to reach that number, so decided that I’ll save for a significant piece e.g. a GS / Farer / GMT, world timer or similar for a while and then consolidate my Seikos for that.  It’s not that I go overseas often anyway…

i have a weird don’t like it / do like it relationship with my watches, currently enjoying the look of the King Sam under a shirt cuff after not wearing it for 8 months:

IMG_6236

Kryton57

And to add, part of this is an odd “what watch for….” future gazing.   I tend to look at the collection and think, “hmmm what should I take next year on hols”, get all indecisive, then think “aha, a new dive GMT is the answer” only then to get buffuddled on the basis that “but maybe I’ll change my mind and now I’ve got one more piece of a puzzle to add to the decision criteria”

I know, it’s weird and the wrong and impatient reason to hold a collection, I need to have a word with myself.

bob_summers

My decision criteria is just, which one haven’t you worn for ages? Then I’m forced to wear it for a week or three.
    Backfired when I chose my yellow Moonswatch, which is basically illegible thanks to the colour scheme. But got me wearing my 34mm early 60s OP again after spending years in the bottom of my sock drawer. Just swapped the rattly old stretched bracelet for a fabric (apple skin!) strap and it’s barely off my wrist now even for running/biking (can’t see the time on my smartwatch without pressing a button, so I wear two watches…)

beanum

My decision became easier last week when my Seiko SPB143 stopped working whilst on holiday, one less watch to choose from..:-( I’m taking it in tomorrow to be looked at.

Having said that, a new watch arrives on Friday..:-)

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Was browsing at Tudors Saturday at an AD (was not really looking to buy at the moment, more of a trying for size etc) and was offered a hefty discount on the BB58 blue, that makes it cheaper than buying a preowned one, was pretty surprised, and also, a preowned BB (41mm) for less than £2k, absolutly mint, looks unworn.  Still undecided as I would like a Pelegos, but the BB58 blue is a lovely watch and the BB 41mm is maybe just a bit too tall.  If only they offered the pelegos with the same discount.  Anyone have a BB 41mm and find it too tall and wish they had gone for the BB58?

Blazin-saddles

They might if you ask… I got £900 off list on a Pelagos FXD marine national about 6 weeks ago.

oceanskipper

Right, so No1 Skipperlet wants a new watch, I’ve suggested a Seiko but I’ve no idea what to look for. He wants a metal strap and budget is about £200-£300 (nearer £200 ideally) .

Any obvious models to consider at that price?

pk13

Where are people getting good rubber straps from I fancy a new strap.

I keep looking at watches on the Internet it’s no healthy at all.

I Want I want I want.

But the import tax is ridiculous from Japan.Screenshot_20240911-201224

walowiz

^ that seiko is very nice. Is that new ?

pk13

The ones I’ve seen are used fair few in Japan nos it’s nice with the blue dial blue strap combo.

Other want list is this Screenshot_20240911-203255

Kato

Goldsmiths are doing 25% off selected Tudor at the mo.  Mostly steel and gold stuff, but also all the steel chronos and the Ranger on fabric straps.

Was tempted by the Ranger as it’s down to £1980

Kato

Should add they’re not advertising this.  I went to look at the monochrome Black Bay and it came up in conversation so you need to ask and they will show you a list of the watches they can discount.

tthew

@pk13 Barton Elite Silicon are my go to rubber straps. Loads of colours in all the usual sizes. Not too expensive either. Only slight drawback is the delivery time from the US.

@oceanskipper
    i think you’ll sneak one of Jody from Just One more Watch YouTube Erebus Origin’s under budget. Import tax may be an issue but they look really nice and the other YouTube review channels seem to rate them.

oceanskipper

One of these @tthew?

Origin 41

They are right on the money if they’re any good..

Kato

@oceanskipper there’s a nice blue one I’m watching on eBay at the moment on the H-link bracelet for £285.   Don’t be fooled by the pricing on their website as you’ll get hit for 80 odd quid on import tax if you buy new.   Better looking for one that’s already over here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235689588327?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CqVi7uLNToW&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=ERLDQnwvRFC&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Kryton57

Barton Elite Silicon are my go to rubber straps. Loads of colours in all the usual sizes. Not too expensive either. Only slight drawback is the delivery time from the US.

You can buy them from Amazon UK, it’ll be here tomorrow.

@ocean skipper, I have a code that’ll get you the new 5kx GMt with 20% off, the top three here:  or 25% the new Orient Solar and sapphire Stretto :

Edit:  I searched for Seiko 5 on the watchnation site, pretty much 50% of the 5kx’s are reduced, most to between £200-£300.   Take your pick of one that Jnr will like.

Edit Edit: keep scrolling, it shows up some Titanium Solar Seikos and Chrono’s discounted to circa £210 as well.  Blimey!

pk13

Thanks tthew will have a look

tthew

You can buy them from Amazon UK, it’ll be here tomorrow.

Indeed, but I don’t think thay carry the full range of sizes and colour combinations. Worth finding the one you want on Barton’s website then checking Amazon. They definitely didn’t have the black/yellow in 22mm I was after a few years ago.

(Got a more subtle bezel on this now which tones it down a bit. Still can’t wear it because of it’s Russian military brand heritage, ( **** Putin))

DSC_0177_1

Kryton57

New Timex Ti GMT out.

Good value for titanium, my issue would be it looks like any number of similar Aliexpress watches.

swdan
    Free Member

I’m keen for some orange in my watch collection but would like something not too full on. I keep coming back to this as something relatively cheap with the ability to swap back to the bracelet to having something a bit more reserved. I also only have one other bracelet watch. I get they’re a Chinese brand posing as an American one and they’re arguably not worth fill price but some of the offers make them tempting

Spinnaker Fleuss GMT Automatic Deep Blue Men's Watch

oceanskipper

Thanks all – Jnr is having a look through all the suggestions. He likes the look of the Orient Solar but I’m thinking a something waterproof might be more practical…

johnners
    Free Member

Other want list is this

Much as I like the dial and case shape of the SPB209J1, the “compass”*  is about the most pointless complication going, and the second crown mars the balance of the design. And doesn’t the cyclops mean it’s a dead flat bit of sapphire?

I speak as a wearer of a SARB017, guilty of all of the above except the cyclops.

*it’s not really, is it?

johnners
    Free Member

I searched for Seiko 5 on the watchnation site, pretty much 50% of the 5kx’s are reduced, most to between £200-£300

Someone would have to be mad to pay anything near RRP for a Seiko these days. You could maybe make a case for a very limited edition but even then ..

pk13

Low end Seiko yes but a snowflake is hardly likely to be under a huge discount. They still make some of the nicest understated dress watches especially if it’s a leather strap

johnners
    Free Member

Low end Seiko yes but a snowflake is hardly likely to be under a huge discount. They still make some of the nicest understated dress watches especially if it’s a leather strap

Agreed on both counts, their higher end stuff is as good as any and worth the money if you’re in that market. I’ve 5 or 6 Seikos and I still really like a lot of their designs. My perennial moan (and I know I’ve said this repeatedly so sorry!) is that they’ve been steadily hiking up the prices of their entry and mid-market models for a few years now, and without a commensurate increase in anything to justify it, their QC is shonky AF and the specs haven’t got any better.

Kryton57

Case in point; the Marine Master GMT I’m looking at at now 30% discount is probably the perfect “1 Seiko” on a route to a GS in years to come.   Yet, – although I can return it and even though the reviews are good – it’s an expensive watch and I’d be trading it with two of the Seikos I have that don’t have QC issues – the King Sam and Slim Turtle/Willard to help pay for it.  Besides, that’s a bag of sand that can go into a GS fund.

This is what Seiko have created for themselves, they’ve likely made an extremely good watch at the price point, but people/collectors will hesitate becuase of said reputation defaulting to discounted “legacy” pieces for collectors and other brands where a single expensive watch is desired.

TLDR; mid tier Seikos are a dubious consideration currently IMHO.

w00dster

I do agree, the mid tier Seiko’s while being good watches and look nice, I would think you would be better to keep saving for the GS. I know if it was me, I don’t think I would feel the same kind of connection with it as I would know its just temporary and is actually slowing down the purchase of the GS.

Regarding lower end Seiko’s, I have two. Save the Ocean Solar Chronograph (SSC701P1) that I really like. No issues with that one, the other is an older Diver that doesn’t get worn very much, but I’ve not noticed any issues with it.

igm

I really like Grand Seiko watches except for the logo.
    GS or Grand Seiko makes no odds.

If it wasn’t in that daft typeface I’d be happy.

tthew

Maybe you really want a King Seiko igm. Still got the lush finishing and dials without the extravagant prices, (although you don’t get the extravagant movements either).

https://monochrome-watches.com/king-seiko-sje103-sje105-sje107-colourful-textured-dials-calibre-6l35-slimline-hands-on-review-price/

igm

I like the extravagant movements, I like the dials and the finish – could they just use the standard Seiko font on the GSs.

Kato

I think it’s polarising.  I happen to love the GS logo and it’s instantly recognisable.   I think they make some fantastic watches with amazing dials….

then cheap out on the poorly adjustable bracelets and clasps.  That’s the sole reason why I wouldn’t get one unfortunately

pk13

Red dial Seikos are shockingly ugly I’ve never understood them. One of the Seiko watches I’m looking at has -+17sec swing per day and that’s on a 600qiud watch.( Automatic)

My 90s prospex Pepsi is or was 3secs when new according to the papers.

I do want a GS at some point thou

Viewing 40 posts - 9,241 through 9,280 (of 9,314 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.