Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • watch for touring, hiking in the mountains etc.
  • darrell
    Free Member

I like simple watches that tell the time and the date and that’s about it really.

So recommend me a watch for using whilst out riding, endurance racing and bike touring and hiking in the mountains

can be as pricey as you want.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

$10 Casio. When you loose/break it you won’t care.
    Will also keep time as well as any with the decimal point moved to the right a couple of places.

Or did I just miss the irony here?

piemonster

Ten quid Casio +1

globalti
    Free Member

Or a Swatch… though they ain’t cheap any more.

Not wanting to worry about it is the reason why I wear an old Casio altimeter watch (never worked quite the same after I changed the battery) and a £2.99 phone when out on the bike.

Aidan
    Free Member

I use a Timex Expedition:

http://www.timex.co.uk/ProductDetail/T49851.aspx

A reasonably cheap, reliable watch but the addition of a vibrating alarm means it can still wake me when my hand is buried down in my sleeping bag and I wouldn’t otherwise hear the alarm. And the Indiglo backlight is very easily readable while riding at night.

My only criticism is that it’s overly chunky and rubs on the bone of my wrist which can be irritating after a few days. I was planning to file the corner down to be rounded but haven’t got around to it yet.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I like simple watches that tell the time and the date and that’s about it really.

Am I missing something……Why would you need a different watch for walking?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well for navigation a digital watch is far far more useful than an analogue one. Also you might have a rather expensive watch for normal wear that you’d rather didn’t get scratched to hell when clambering over rocks and stuff.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ahhh, Casio +1

freddyg
    Free Member

So buy a simple watch that tells the time and the date. £10 Casio +1

I think, like sharkbait, I am also missing something.

mugsys_m8

An analogue watch is far more useful for navigating than a digital one.
    Any old analogue watch correctly set will tell you where north is.

Unless you need to aid with astral navigation where a digital watch will give more accurate time.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well as a general rule I normally go out into the hills with a compass to let me know where north is, rather than using a watch but to each their own. A digital watch will allow you to do timings much more easily than an analogue watch will so that you can keep track of your progress.

seadog101

Suunto Core

Core

Got me one of these. The Altimeter and compass are more accurate than I’d ever expected.

scotroutes

I’ve been hiking in the mountains for almost 30 years and never wear a watch. A phone and a GPS works for me.

stavromuller
    Free Member
    beaker2135

Suunto

CountZero

Casio G-100, FTW.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘watch for touring, hiking in the mountains etc.’ is closed to new replies.