Home Forums Chat Forum Watch for an 18th. Any suggestions around £300?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Watch for an 18th. Any suggestions around £300?
  • lister

Another Tissot PR100 here. My wife (to be) got me mine instead of a wedding ring. I’ve worn it every day since 2003. It has done every coasteer, bike ride, rock climb and other outdoor activity since then and hasn’t missed a beat. I don’t think longevity is an issue with them!

Cougar

There’s a load of skeleton watches here at like half your budget, and you can get them engraved.

https://www.trendhim.co.uk/watches/skeleton-watches-c.html

Google returns tons.  This is nice, I’d have loved it at 18 and it’s only slightly over budget.  The butterfly clasp is cool, it’s what my Citizen came with (recently replaced when the leather strap finally rotted through).

Rotary Skeleton Automatic – GB02945/87

davosaurusrex

Another vote for a Tissot PRC200. I got one as a wedding present 19 years ago and it still looks great . I wore it daily until I got a smart watch a of couple of years ago. Mine has a dark green canvas strap on it now and it looks really good, even gets unsolicited compliments so not just my opinion!

I’ve also been rinsing the Timpson lifetime battery replacements for some years now, if they still do that. Think I paid £25

Kamakazie

Citizen Tsuyosa? Integrated bracelet style, colourful dials, solid brand.

If he’s favouring the cocktail time then he wants something on the dressier side. There’s lots of good microbrands in that space e.g. Baltic HMS,

johnhe

Tissot or Seiko would be my personal recommendation. I think both brands are very widely recognised and well-considered generally.  And as others have said,  folks are usually happy and proud/nostalgic to wear them 30 years later.

singletrackmind
    martymac

Fossil do some reasonably priced skeleton autos, they look good IRL.

TheFlyingOx

Get one he can build himself – https://shop.diywatch.club/collections/watchmakingkit/products/40mm-vintage-skeleton-dive-watch-kit-seiko-nh72-with-tools-and-video-instructions

Tried and tested workhorse Seiko movement, skeleton dial, dresses up nicely with a different strap which you could get with the change from your £300 no problem.

duncancallum

Seiko

Christopher ward if on sale

Elliott brown

All very solid watches

johnners
    Free Member

It’s for his 18th so there’s a commemorative element to it. With that in mind I’d try to steer away from anything fashionable or quirky that may just end up looking a bit sad in a couple of years time.

Within your budget I’d recommend something timeless like a Seiko field watch or diver which he can still wear in 10 years time. A Seiko will run that long without maintenance, and if necessary you’ll be able to drop a new movement in for less than the service cost of a SW200 or similar. I’ve no specific watch in mind, there are absolutely loads within your budget!

CountZero

Crikey I feel old. My 18th was a tag Heuer formula 1, the original one. It was 79.95 in Selfridges.

Mate worked in a jeweller and got me the stainless bracelet for 30 quid when the rubber strap died

TAG are just reissuing the Formula 1 watches – you don’t want to know what they’re going for now, though!

I think diver style watches are brash, fat and ugly.

Well, some are, but £300 won’t get you a platinum Rolex set with multicolour baguette-cut diamonds. A proper, ‘tool’ dive watch should be plain and simple and easy to read, and built to take abuse.
    Here’s my mid-80’s TAG Heuer Series 1000 ‘NightDiver’ – the G-Shock ‘CasiOak’ I’m currently wearing is actually bigger!

walowiz

Some good suggestions above. Seiko are a safe bet, the Timex krypton linked to is great (& can be had with 15% off IIRC), but IMVHO a Timex isn’t that soecial.

also I was gifted a skeleton watch when I was 16 or 18 as my father is into watches and I loved it at the time, but they don’t age that well, definitely not something I’ll ever likely wear again. Just my 2 cents. Also be wary of buying something that has a smallish case diameter.

jamiemcf

I also have a pocket watch my best mate have me when I was his best man. Still wear it to formal occasions when I wear my kilt and all the get up that goes with it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s Timex which has already been pooh-poohed but I keep getting drawn to this.

Expedition North® Titanium Automatic 41mm Recycled Fabric Strap Watch

rockhopper70

Thanks all.
    So far, Cougar’s Rotary Skelton is the most approved. I think it’s a decent looking watch and I’m not 18yo!
    It feels like the budget is middle ground, I sort of wish we could go more for a proper statement piece but he’s had two daughters before home turn 18 and we try to strictly treat all the kids the same.

grimep
    Free Member

Go Chinese, could have a San Martin dive watch and a chrono for the budget

Make sure the lug to lug width will fit his wrist, sapphire bezel, Seiko quartz movement, jobs a goodun

rockhopper70

Just an update, we went for the rotary Skeleton as per Cougars note.  After two days of hardly any use the second hand dropped off.  The store swapped it and, today, the second hand has dropped off the replacement.  So the watch is going back and we’ll probably steer clear of the Rotary brand now.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I like some of those listed in the DIY link above. No knowledge of it being vfm as a watch but you’re getting an experience and an interesting story as well. I think that counts for a lot.

johnhe

That’s incredibly disappointing, both for you son and for yourselves. I’d still feel quite confident recommending a Seiko or Tissot. But not sure if either has that skeleton type in their catalog.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Apple Watch?

does most of the smartphone stuff, without the weight.

rockhopper70

Indeed, we are both very disappointed as we had hoped for a heirloom quality piece (acknowledging it isn’t very spendy compared to what is for sale, but still a decent chunk to have hands fall off).

Any Apple watch will likely be obsolete in three years.

prettygreenparrot

Moon Swatch would fit the budget?

Got one of our children one of these E-One Bradleys. Seems to do the job https://www.eone-time.com/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOgFull Member
    The 220 page long watch thread would suggest that they do.
    What a privileged world we live in.

Don’t you run a youtube channel dedicated to a specific type of bike for riding on specific types of road surface?

midlifecrashes

Bad luck on the Rotary, ours here have been a little heavy on battery, but robust.

How about this for an alternative. Swiss automatic, ETA 2824 movement, sapphire crystal on top and bottom, brand name he’ll know.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394831057416

Calvin Klein Infinite.

irc
    Free Member

Unlucky. My Rotary Super Seven diver is a couple of years old now, no issues.

That said two failures suggest problems with current production.

Slightly over budget, I am thinking of getting one of these. UK design and quality control. I have the Model 1 and 2 which are several years old with no issues.

Model Three Dual Time – Powder Blue Dial / SS Case

Review: Alkin Model Three – Great British Design, Bargain Price!

Only a real watch enthusiast would recognise the brand which may not suit everyone.

Victorinox Inox?

Here

Cougar

Sorry it didn’t work out for you.  It wasn’t a personal recommendation, just a help with web searching.  I feel bad now.

rockhopper70

No worries @cougar, I wasn’t citing you as at fault, just referring the product as he really liked the look and style of it.  For that money, it should be a decent watch, certainly not have hands fall off!  I’m sort of glad the fault has manifested early on as it might have been a tricker warranty call in a year or two.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.